Championship side swoop for ex-Wigan Warriors forward

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Championship side swoop for ex-Wigan Warriors forward

Post by josie andrews »

Barrow Raiders have made a splash in the market as they’ve signed ex-Wigan Warriors forward Ramon Silva, landing the Brazilian-born powerhouse on a one-year deal.

It’s a major signing for the Championship outfit who finished eleventh in the second tier last season, just one point ahead of the relegation zone, but crucially one point in front of Cumbrian rivals Whitehaven.

Barrow had been expected to make a play-off push by many after having seen huge success in their first season back in Championship in 2022, the Raiders placing fourth having been promoted from League One in 2021.

One key player that they missed was star winger Tee Ritson who spent last season on loan with St Helens, and has now signed for the Red Vee permanently.

Paul Crarey’s men now return to the Super League market though as they sign Silva following his recent release from Wigan, something that the Raiders confirmed via their social channels and website.

A statement read: “Barrow Raiders have signed powerhouse forward Ramon Silva on a one-year deal following his departure from Wigan Warriors.

Born in Sau Paulo, Brazil, Silva moved to the UK with his parents at the age of three.

“As a 15-year-old, his rugby league journey began with Elmbridge Eagles. After just four games, he was snapped up by London Broncos’ academy and would go on to spend three years in their system – playing alongside fellow Raiders recruit and good friend Max Clarke during that time.

“The 22-year-old went on to secure a move to Betfred Super League side Wigan in November 2021.

During his time with the Warriors, Silva also gained experience on loan at several clubs, including last season at former club London and French side Toulouse Olympique.

“Capable of playing as a prop forward or second-rower, the Raiders have moved to secure the signature of the young forward ahead of the upcoming Betfred Championship season.”

On joining the club, Silva said: “It’s a great opportunity for me. The fact that they want me there and I can get the game time that I need ticks all the boxes for everyone.

I’m excited to be part of a vibrant new team, and hopefully we can do something great. I can’t wait to get stuck in with my new team-mates, and I’m equally excited to meet the Barrow Raiders supporters.

“The experiences I’ve had over the last couple of seasons have really helped me grow as a player, and I feel like I’ve learnt a lot.

“That game time towards the back end of last season will help me hit the ground running and make an immediate impact at the Raiders.

Fans can expect a lot of effort-based rugby from me. I like to work hard on the field and get the team on the front foot, and with ball in-hand, I think I can make a difference and produce some good carries.”

Barrow Raiders head coach Paul Crarey said: “It has taken a lot of patience and due diligence on the club’s part to finally secure the services of Ramon Silva.

“Ramon is an outstanding prospect in the middle of the field and will give the squad a massive boost in the size and strength department. His explosive running power and massive defensive efforts will make him a big hit with our fans.

Once again, the club was patient in speaking to all the right people to make sure this was the right move for us as a club and Ramon as a player. Everyone is delighted to get this signing over the line, and we look forward to seeing Ramon in action.”

Director of rugby Andy Gaffney said: “The capture of Ramon is one that I’m sure will really excite supporters of this club.

“It speak volumes that Wigan saw the potential of Ramon and offered him a two-year deal. He might not have broken into their first team, but he is a shrewd addition to any forward pack at this level and everyone at the Warriors spoke very highly of him.

I’m sure the Raiders fans will join me in giving Ramon a very warm welcome to Barrow.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/champion ... ard-85555/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan