Kruise Leeming says Wigan 'will bring the best out of me' as he details Luke Thompson chat before joining champions

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Kruise Leeming says Wigan 'will bring the best out of me' as he details Luke Thompson chat before joining champions

Post by josie andrews »

Kruise Leeming believes Wigan Warriors is the perfect club to bring the best out of his performances as the new recruit admits: “I’m still not where I want to be as a player.”

Leeming has amassed close to 200 Super League appearances to date across stints with Huddersfield and Leeds, while he also enjoyed a short spell in the NRL this year with the Gold Coast Titans.

Despite his successes, including the 2020 Challenge Cup and leading the Rhinos to the Grand Final in 2022 – defeating Wigan in the semis – Leeming insists his best is yet to come.

I’m still not where I want to be as a player and I think Wigan will bring the best out of me, I genuinely believe that,” Leeming said.

“I’m excited to see what I can become and I’m excited to be challenged as well.

“Sometimes in the past and talking to different people, challenges can be daunting.

“But I’m excited to get stuck into some new drills and some sessions that I’ve never done before and get better and that’s where the growth will come.

I’m really excited about this next era in my life, this next stage.

"I think my career so far has been perfect in terms of leading me where I need to be at this time.”

Leeming is joined by fellow new recruit and England international Luke Thompson in returning from Australia to join Matt Peet’s squad, with the 28-year-old forward having played four seasons with Canterbury Bulldogs in the NRL.

Detailing the first Wigan-related chat the pair had following a clash down under, Leeming said: “Luke Thompson and I have spoken a lot more than we have done in the past.

“When we were over in the NRL, the deal wasn’t quite done then I don’t think for him to come back.

“I played against him in the last regular game and I was trying to egg him on to come.

“We had a bit of a talk on the field after.

“He asked if I was going and I told him that I was and that I had heard good things about the club and to make sure you come.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ns-4428097
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Kruise Leeming says Wigan 'will bring the best out of me' as he details Luke Thompson chat before joining champions

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think tactics and match smarts aside one thing i would argue our coaching staff seem excellent at is improving players, Wigan went through a phase where really good players came and went backwards but i feel we have become very could a polishing rough gems

Im excited about leeming
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Re: Kruise Leeming says Wigan 'will bring the best out of me' as he details Luke Thompson chat before joining champions

Post by fozzieskem »

I've always loved talking to Matty Peet he always seems to have time for you and I'm sure he carries that ethic into his work with players,they clearly buy into what he's selling Toby King look at what he did with him and I suspect the same will occur with Leeming and Thompson the best will be brought out of them.