New Contract for Harry Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WWRL

New Contract for Harry Smith

Post by WWRL »

Wigan_forever1985

Re: New Contract for Harry Smith

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Great news
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
endoman

Post by endoman »

Very very important signing, pleased to see it.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Big signing for me this one the way he's progressing is brilliant to watch 4 more years balls to the NRL Wigan may not have the weather but it has the best rugby league team in my humble opinion
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Excellent news
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

That is terrific news. Great work from all concerned.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that halfback Harry Smith has signed a new four-year deal with the Club, which will see him contracted until the end of the 2027 season.

Smith, who turns 24 before the start of the new season, featured heavily in England’s recent 3-0 Series win over Tonga and picked up the prestigious ‘Man of the Series’ award. He also featured in every game in Wigan’s 2023 title-winning campaign, making his 100th appearance for the Club in the Round 27 game at Leigh where he helped Wigan secure the League Leaders’ Shield.

The former Halton Farnworth Hornets junior joined Wigan’s Scholarship system as a 14-year-old. In the 10 years since then, he captained the U19s side winning three Academy Grand Finals, 2018 Under 19s Player of the Year and the 2022 Young Player of the Year.

He made a try-scoring debut for Wigan’s first team in 2019 in a 46-12 win over Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium and in 2022 debuted for England from the bench in a World Cup warm-up win over Fiji. 

Smith played a vital role in Wigan’s 2022 Challenge Cup Final success at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, most notably with his late grubber kick to set up Liam Marshall’s match-winning try.

On his new deal, Harry Smith said: “I’m really pleased to get the new deal sorted. 

“Last year’s achievements have given me a real appetite for more. We are building something really special on and off the field. The new signings are a clear indication of that and I want to be a part of it.” 

Smith added: “I’d like to thank Matty and all the coaches and of course my family and girlfriend for their continued support.”

Warriors Head Coach, Matt Peet, said: “We are delighted that Harry will be at the club for at least four more years. His development on and off the field has been outstanding and is a credit to his hard work and dedication.

“Harry is a player and a person we feel we can build around and the length of the contract shows his commitment to succeed at Wigan.”

Harry Smith is sponsored by Bluesky Plumbing.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Fantastic news but I hate hearing the dreaded 4yr deal as it usually means that they are off after 2yrs.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Hattster wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:42 pm Fantastic news but I hate hearing the dreaded 4yr deal as it usually means that they are off after 2yrs.
Get what you mean, but better him being off in 2 with a nice transfer fee than being off in 1 for nothing.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Very good news, so pleased with this.