Mark Preston

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Mark Preston

Post by cpwigan »

Been doing the close season thing and watching the old videos. Forgot just how good 007 was. Some awesome tries
ChrisA

Re: Mark Preston

Post by ChrisA »

Quality player, I'll never forget his try against Warrington in the CC cup final, Alex Murphy "the kids got another gear". Devastaing pace, he was faster than Albert, Dallas and Calderwood have ever been or will be. He was in the Anthony Sullivan mould, fast as greased lightning, but made some crazy decisons and his tackling was iffy at best, but when he got the ball the crowd stood up.
Antwigan

Post by Antwigan »

ChrisA posted:
Quality player, I'll never forget his try against Warrington in the CC cup final, Alex Murphy "the kids got another gear". Devastaing pace, he was faster than Albert, Dallas and Calderwood have ever been or will be. He was in the Anthony Sullivan mould, fast as greased lightning, but made some crazy decisons and his tackling was iffy at best, but when he got the ball the crowd stood up.
I WAS standing, as was most others, already. I miss Central Park.......Whoops I've said it now!
Campions of the rugby world.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He had a great swerve on him, very fast and also a neat dummy pass (That try v Halifax sticks out for that trick)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He confessed himself that his speed and skills were mainly down to the fact that he was scared of being tackled!

I think he left the sport and returned to the insurance business in Flyde because he didn't want to be professional.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:D Being scared worked for Brian Bevan too

I think you are right Mike

He may have had a season or two with Halifax
pedro

Post by pedro »

He did. Still not as fast as Offiah though. He was quick too Les Quirk...scouse git though!

Could never undestand Wigan getting rid and signing Myers as Preston was twice the player...but he did the job.

The try he scored against Leigh was a screemer and boy did he shift too.

oooohhhh the good old days
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:D Good to go over those days on these cold days, although watching Wigan v Oldham in the snow made me cold even indoors with the fire raging.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

oldham still is cold i have just been there watching junior rugby this weekend ,good to see nothing changes st judes u 12s won 9-8 agsinst oldham st annes ,if your missing your rugby you need to get out of bed early on sunday mornings and support theses juniors,some outstanding rugby played by all the teams, go to judes on sunday there is allways about 4 - 8 matches being played ,and the bar stafff are warm and freindley :blush:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
FUZZY

Post by FUZZY »

Went to the same school as him a few years after he left and had the same rugby coach who once told us "great player, electric pace, deserves to play for England but can sometimes be a bit weak in the tackle." Started school when he was playing for Fylde and starting to get picked for England A. Short story is he was never given the chance he deserved by the snobs,got frustrated and Wigan came in. As my old coach explained it he missed a crucial tackle in a Challege Cup final or semi-final (against St Helens I think) and was never forgiven. Think he returned to playing R.U. for Fylde. I last saw him 20 years ago when I was working at Guardian Insurance in Lytham St Annes where he was working too,turned up in his Porsche looking as 007 as ever. Great player, should have been given moreTurned up in a Porsche 911 looking as 007. Great player, deserved more chances with the snobs and Wigan. Don´t worry him though, local legend has it that he thinks more than enough about himself to make up for the dissapointmets !