Liam Byrne

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
NICKYKISS

Re: Liam Byrne

Post by NICKYKISS »

I hope he takes huge confidence from that spell of form before his injury. He was absolutely fantastic and played with a real aggressive and relentless edge. If he can play at that level more consistently, there is no reason why he can’t go on to an England regular (presuming he wants that, rather than sticking to Ireland).
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:23 pm
boggart wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:05 pm I supported him unreservedly when he was taking typical so-called-fans uninformed criticism last season.
I was one of the 'so-called fans' who was vocal about how poor he was for a prolonged period last season. I wasn't wrong. However I, and many others were unaware he was playing on with an injury which was hampering him. I was also one of many who commented how well he came back from that injury a much better player.

Are you telling me you were aware he was carrying an injury and that's why he was playing so sh*te for a couple of months? Because at the time I don't remember anyone saying this until it was made public. Its easy to look back in hindsight and point the finger
Exactly. No one knew he was carrying an injury. If they did and said nothing while he was being criticised what was that about!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I think this season will be the one who hopefully see him come of age.

He, amongst others, got flogged too much as a youngster under Lam.

More recently we’ve had a very weak pack & there was the period last year we got decimated by injuries and not only was he playing throughout but was injured himself.

We’ve all seen the form is there and last year was the most consistent period. He now just needs to take the next step up and make it a regular thing.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:54 am I think this season will be the one who hopefully see him come of age.

More recently we’ve had a very weak pack & there was the period last year we got decimated by injuries and not only was he playing throughout but was injured himself.

We’ve all seen the form is there and last year was the most consistent period. He now just needs to take the next step up and make it a regular thing.
Said that all along at the time 🤨

I even commented to Lammy at the time that they, Liam, Ethan Partington even Smith were too young to be playing so many minutes when we had experienced seasoned props & players for those positions which except for injuries were hardly given any game time. **
We even bought a ‘proper’ Centre Chris Hankinson, who could also kick goals, who was rarely selected,

Ben Flower
Tony Clubb
Willie Isa
George Burgess!!
Joe Bullock
Mitch Clark
Romain Navarrette

** If any of you really know me, if I’ve something to say, if it’s in my head, it will always come out of my gob! No matter who I’m talking to or who it’s addressed to.
Over the years I’ve fell out, but made friends again, (think they understand my passion & loyalty to Wigan to just be the best at everything,) with Graeme West, Andy Goodway, Adrian Lam, three ex players & coaches. Kris Rads & even Mr Lenagan

Did have a word with Matty about playing Sam Powell in 2022 season, about selecting him & dropping Brad O’Nell for the playoff v Leeds after being out of the team for several weeks!
Also commented about the selection of Willie Isa, selected in this years GF after weeks out, which I think was an immense game from him, to which I apologised to Willie in a personal interaction, which he did acknowledged & was very gracious about 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:38 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:54 am I think this season will be the one who hopefully see him come of age.

I even commented to Lammy at the time that they, Liam, Ethan Partington even Smith were too young to be playing so many minutes when we had experienced seasoned props & players for those positions which except for injuries were hardly given any game time. **
We even bought a ‘proper’ Centre Chris Hankinson, who could also kick goals, who was rarely selected,

Ben Flower
Tony Clubb
Willie Isa
George Burgess!!
Joe Bullock
Mitch Clark
Romain Navarrette

** If any of you really know me, if I’ve something to say, if it’s in my head, it will always come out of my gob! No matter who I’m talking to or who it’s addressed to.
Over the years I’ve fell out, but made friends again, (think they understand my passion & loyalty to Wigan to just be the best at everything,) with Graeme West, Andy Goodway, Adrian Lam, three ex players & coaches. Kris Rads & even Mr Lenagan

Did have a word with Matty about playing Sam Powell in 2022 season, about selecting him & dropping Brad O’Nell for the playoff v Leeds after being out of the team for several weeks!
Also commented about the selection of Willie Isa, selected in this years GF after weeks out, which I think was an immense game from him, to which I apologised to Willie in a personal interaction, which he did acknowledged & was very gracious about 😂
Nobody can doubt your commitment and passion, Josie. It earns you the right to speak your mind.

There is too much "taking offence" these days. I'm not justifying being offensive, but people have a right to their opinion even if it's different than mine.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:46 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:38 am

Ben Flower
Tony Clubb
Willie Isa
George Burgess!!
Joe Bullock
Mitch Clark
Romain Navarrette

Nobody can doubt your commitment and passion, Josie. It earns you the right to speak your mind.

There is too much "taking offence" these days. I'm not justifying being offensive, but people have a right to their opinion even if it's different than mine.
I second that. I’d far sooner have someone criticise me to my face than talk behind my back. At least it gives me the right of reply 😀

I respect people for having and stating their views. I might not agree with them but I certainly wouldn’t be falling out with somebody for expressing their feelings. Keep giving it to them Josie 😊
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

His aggression in defence was brilliant in some games last season. Fact is though he doesn’t make enough yards. He’s the size of a barn, the stats don’t look good in that regard. I hope it was an injury holding him back because he’s only a young lad and could have a bright future if he can kick on. We are lucky because if not there will be someone else who can take his spot.
boggart

Post by boggart »

I think I remember reading that he was told by Shaun Wane to go down on contact when taking the ball up and not try for the extra metres post contact. Was this because he was hurt and/or to minimise the risk of losing possession, I don't know. Either way, its not exactly a confidence builder. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will). Good to see he seemed to get over it any road up. More confidence-building good performances this season and some time spent with some experienced props like Luke Thompson and he'll start to be the player he can be. I, for one, am looking forward to it, he's got all the makings.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

He came of age in France. That seemed to be the catalyst
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

boggart wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:42 am I think I remember reading that he was told by Shaun Wane to go down on contact when taking the ball up and not try for the extra metres post contact. Was this because he was hurt and/or to minimise the risk of losing possession, I don't know. Either way, its not exactly a confidence builder. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will). Good to see he seemed to get over it any road up. More confidence-building good performances this season and some time spent with some experienced props like Luke Thompson and he'll start to be the player he can be. I, for one, am looking forward to it, he's got all the makings.
This will have been the forwards tactics, not just for Byrne.

The hypothesis will be that the benefit of quicker play of the ball outweighs a few extra post contact meters.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."