Liam Byrne

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wiganer Ted

Liam Byrne

Post by Wiganer Ted »

According to the club's first team list on their site Liam was out of contract end of 2023.
Does anyone know of a new deal for him as he seems an integral part of Wigan's future?
It could well be that he signed a deal and everyone knows about it but me, so can someone enlighten me please?
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Liam Byrne

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Signed a 3 year deal in 2022 from what I'm aware of
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:28 pm Signed a 3 year deal in 2022 from what I'm aware of
Thank you!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He was there today at Robin Park, both Liam & Willie Isa came to reception to see me as I’d not been down since the firework display 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Josie, I started the thread as I simply didn't know what the situation was/is with Liam.
Glad to hear he's back in training and he'll be with us next season.
He's one of the players the club could build a squad around over the next ten years.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:28 pm Josie, I started the thread as I simply didn't know what the situation was/is with Liam.
Glad to hear he's back in training and he'll be with us next season.
He's one of the players the club could build a squad around over the next ten years.
I’ve been poorly with a severe chest infection so first time down today for 4 weeks. I usually pop in for a chat with everyone when I’m down that way 2/3 times a week 😊

I asked how his injury was coming along & he said great & he should be back in full training soon 😊 I like Liam, he’s such a nice quiet young man, very shy 🥰
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
boggart

Post by boggart »

Glad to hear you're better, Josie; your informed, down to earth 'reasonableness' would be sorely missed. Interesting comments on young Liam's character. He's pretty much as I thought. I supported him unreservedly when he was taking typical so-called-fans uninformed criticism last season. Another Liam Farrell type perhaps, I certainly hope so. Very best of luck for the future to the lad, anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing his uncompromising commitment again as soon as he's fit. If he can just develop an off-loading game, he'll be a belter.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

boggart wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:05 pm I supported him unreservedly when he was taking typical so-called-fans uninformed criticism last season.
I was one of the 'so-called fans' who was vocal about how poor he was for a prolonged period last season. I wasn't wrong. However I, and many others were unaware he was playing on with an injury which was hampering him. I was also one of many who commented how well he came back from that injury a much better player.

Are you telling me you were aware he was carrying an injury and that's why he was playing so sh*te for a couple of months? Because at the time I don't remember anyone saying this until it was made public. Its easy to look back in hindsight and point the finger
boggart

Post by boggart »

Having seen the sort of player he was, it was obvious something was wrong. At the time I had it down to a young lad playing too much rugby too soon, which, it seemed to me he was, and needing a rest or a spell of rehab. I posted to that effect at the time. Obviously I couldn't know whether he was injured or not, nor did I claim to. Why don't you check instead of being lippy. Hindsight doesn't come into it. Warriors fans are notorious for taking against players, Willy Isa, Sam Powell being recent examples, with sometimes little reason, hence the comment. I've no reason to think those so=called=fans have changed. That's more of an explanation than the tone of your post deserved by the way, but then again, I'm able to admit that I am, infrequently, sometimes wrong.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

boggart wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:04 pm Having seen the sort of player he was, it was obvious something was wrong. At the time I had it down to a young lad playing too much rugby too soon, which, it seemed to me he was, and needing a rest or a spell of rehab. I posted to that effect at the time. Obviously I couldn't know whether he was injured or not, nor did I claim to. Why don't you check instead of being lippy. Hindsight doesn't come into it. Warriors fans are notorious for taking against players, Willy Isa, Sam Powell being recent examples, with sometimes little reason, hence the comment. I've no reason to think those so=called=fans have changed. That's more of an explanation than the tone of your post deserved by the way, but then again, I'm able to admit that I am, infrequently, sometimes wrong.
We are all sometimes wrong about certain things, but the fervour we have for our club is second to none.

We do, me too, who is always been classed as a ‘Happy Clapper’ have gone a bit over the top criticising players etc but we still, hopefully, support them when they play for Wigan or as in a lot of cases move on.

I suppose that’s why players from the past tend to remember me & always stop & have a catch up. They are all still Wigan Warriors to me.

We said the same thing regarding Liam, he was carrying the team on his own, either through other forwards bans or injuries & it showed in his game. Think I did comment on it at the time.

I did ask him once how he was after a game & simply said “I’m knackered!”

Spoke to Patrick Mago today in Asda, well he saw me & came over to me to ask how I was 😂 Had a little chat about how training was going etc. He said it’s going well 😊

Will see them all next week for a chat & a catch up at the Night under the Lights evening. It’s a great little event & for a very worthy cause 😊

Hope to see some of you there, come & say hello if you see me 😊