NRL Magic Weekend

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Ipinwigan

NRL Magic Weekend

Post by Ipinwigan »

Just seen a storey on Totalrl about how popular the NRL Magic Weekend has become.

"THE NRL’S Magic Weekend – or Magic Round – has overtaken the nation’s State of Origin Series as the most lucrative and popular concept.
The Daily Telegraph has revealed that corporate deals for the 2024 Magic Round at Suncorp Stadium have almost sold out during this month already.
That means that the Magic Round has remarkably overtaken the sale of commercial packages for State of Origin at the same venue next year".

This is shows how well the NRL is run in comparrison to the RFL, who only ever seem to go backwards, with decisions like taking our Magic Weekend to Elland Road.
jobo

Re: NRL Magic Weekend

Post by jobo »

Ipinwigan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:16 pm Just seen a storey on Totalrl about how popular the NRL Magic Weekend has become.

"THE NRL’S Magic Weekend – or Magic Round – has overtaken the nation’s State of Origin Series as the most lucrative and popular concept.
The Daily Telegraph has revealed that corporate deals for the 2024 Magic Round at Suncorp Stadium have almost sold out during this month already.
That means that the Magic Round has remarkably overtaken the sale of commercial packages for State of Origin at the same venue next year".

This is shows how well the NRL is run in comparrison to the RFL, who only ever seem to go backwards, with decisions like taking our Magic Weekend to Elland Road.
To be fair, it shows how popular RL is in Australia compared to the UK.

I do agree that the move to Elland Road is disappointing though.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

In Australia it is also in it's infancy, the test will be to see if it is still the top draw for fans as it is now in say 10 years time, magic has been around for a whle now here and I suspect the 'novelty' will have worn off for some, plus taking it to Elland road is intentionally trying to kill it off
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WarriorWinger wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:50 pm In Australia it is also in it's infancy, the test will be to see if it is still the top draw for fans as it is now in say 10 years time, magic has been around for a whle now here and I suspect the 'novelty' will have worn off for some, plus taking it to Elland road is intentionally trying to kill it off
Next year will be the 17th year we will have had Magic. The first few we had in Cardiff were brilliant & all the others have been just great. like you have said, that 2024 may be the death knell for Magic Weekend here! 🙁
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Never been a fan of the magic weekend. It has meant an extra fixture and if it’s a derby game for us is always a hard fixture. I am also pretty sure you played a weekend of derby fixtures at the normal grounds the overall crowd figure would be higher and I doubt many go and watch every game so it gives a false impression of large crowds.

As to the NRL doing it they need to be careful it doesn’t become more important than representative footy and they end up clubs increasingly wanting to withdraw players from the SoO.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

What I'd say is that it shows how popular league is in Queensland. I don't think the Sydney sides are too impressed with Magic. Australia is a very big country.