Contact Above the Armpit

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Ipinwigan

Contact Above the Armpit

Post by Ipinwigan »

Latest story on Totalrl - headline "Any contact above the armpit could be made illegal in professional rugby league by 2025"
I have been saying it for a couple of years, the sport is doomed, tick rugby only allowed by 2025/2026.
This season will be a trial for new head high, over the shoulder tackles and could make games a complete disaster.
It's not going to be the sport I was brought up with and is going to change for the worse.
WIGIAN

Re: Contact Above the Armpit

Post by WIGIAN »

Why not just keep the rules as they are and make skull caps mandatory
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Tags on shorts will be compulsory before headguards :twisted:
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

WIGIAN wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:17 pm Why not just keep the rules as they are and make skull caps mandatory
Becasue skull caps do not give you protection from concussion more just from bruising.

If they made skull caps compulsary it would be like the RFL saying wear these and you are protected, they wouldnt protect the players and therefore it would give players (solicitors) more clout in any future concussion cases
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:08 pm Latest story on Totalrl - headline "Any contact above the armpit could be made illegal in professional rugby league by 2025"
I have been saying it for a couple of years, the sport is doomed, tick rugby only allowed by 2025/2026.
This season will be a trial for new head high, over the shoulder tackles and could make games a complete disaster.
It's not going to be the sport I was brought up with and is going to change for the worse.
Doomed! We're all doomed!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I've been looking for an excuse to get back into darts
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The second lawyers became involved it was always going to go like this but better this way I think than losing the game altogether
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'm afraid this had to come if the game wants to survive into the next decade. I'm sure the coaches/players will adapt and I'll reserve judgement on the product until I've seen a few games. I do approve of the changes to the junior game though. Young parents seem more risk averse than many of us in the past and they won't let their kids play a sport where the risk of head/neck injuries is or is perceived to be high. If more kids play tag they could become fans of the professional game even if they don't like the contact element themselves.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:08 pm Latest story on Totalrl - headline "Any contact above the armpit could be made illegal in professional rugby league by 2025"

It must be me then.i was brought up with the sport where your drilled into tackling around the legs. So what's changing there's no need in tackling techniques to go anywhere near the head. My coach always said straight for the legs he can't go anywhere without them. That's still true today. I understand the game as changed as closing down players from offloading but even that doesn't require anyone anywhere near the head . the risks must be cut down for me avoiding anywhere near head is correct way and also nothing new from what I was brought up on many years ago.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:42 pm

It must be me then.i was brought up with the sport where your drilled into tackling around the legs. So what's changing there's no need in tackling techniques to go anywhere near the head. My coach always said straight for the legs he can't go anywhere without them. That's still true today. I understand the game as changed as closing down players from offloading but even that doesn't require anyone anywhere near the head . the risks must be cut down for me avoiding anywhere near head is correct way and also nothing new from what I was brought up on many years ago.
Going for the legs is what they teach kids.

You cannot do that at any decent level of rugby league or else the player lands on his front, gets a quick play of the ball and gives the attacking advantage as the defence is likely not yet set.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."