Wigan Athletic chairman responds to fan anger over Manchester United tie

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan Athletic chairman responds to fan anger over Manchester United tie

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Superb Chops wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:20 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:55 am
Thought they’d been into administration twice! 🤔
No, that is also wrong.

You are seemingly mistaking administration for the previous owner repeatedly failing to pay wages promptly.

If the Latics had gone into admin again last summer this season’s points deduction would’ve been more than an eight point penalty. The fact they didn’t is, in part, down to their supporters’ club efforts, as acknowledged by Danson on takeover.

On the main point, people have common rights and guarantees when they pay for an item.

The club knows this but here acted with little regard by not doing a simple, prior consultation for those impacted.

After all these are supporters who likely contributed to a fundraiser which stopped the club folding just three-and-a-half years ago.

How odd, therefore, to repeatedly criticise fellow townsfolk and sports supporters in such circumstances.
I fully understand your view but I am not sure what difference consultation would have made. I suppose if the chairman had said that our plan is to maximise income rather than sell players to offset our losses then that may have focused a few minds. It would be interesting to read what ideas these fans have for balancing the books.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

In football and elsewhere, the answer is always a billionaire owner. Which they now have so they're probably pissed off that doesn't mean buying Mesi but does mean losing their seat for a cup tie. Expectations must be higher than living within your means for the Latics, but we're more used to the concept.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:46 pm In football and elsewhere, the answer is always a billionaire owner. Which they now have so they're probably pissed off that doesn't mean buying Mesi but does mean losing their seat for a cup tie. Expectations must be higher than living within your means for the Latics, but we're more used to the concept.
😂😂

I want Latics to succeed & be profitable. (Don’t know why some posters seem to think differently of me!) It’s our town football club! Why do a lot football fans think they are superior than RL fans 🤔

Mr Danson could soon get fed up with all the in house fighting, with some of the die hard fans bickering, & according to some on Twitter, only bought the football club to fund the Warriors!!! Go figure!

I’m not particularly interested in football, don’t think I’ve watched a full game since I lived in Aberdeen, when I was relegated to watching soccer & RU! Didn’t have Sky & except when I used to come down for games at CP, the only RL was the CC, Regal Trophy etc on the BBC.

Nothing to do with the clubs or fans, well maybe some fans 😉 It’s the lauding of the players who have this sense they’re Demi-gods or something!! Yes, they are good at what they do, but supermen/heroes? I think not.

I just think they are overpaid & overindulged Prima Donna’s, the majority should get Oscar’s for their acting skills!! (Which, sadly, is creeping into our game now 🤨)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Stephen Humphrys the Latcics forward played on loan for mine and Ross's football team Hearts last season. A bit of a ploder (did score the goal of the season in Scotland) but wanted to make the move permanent. Hearts couldn't even look at paying him half the wages he was on at Wigan so there was no chance of a deal and Hearts have bigger crowds and higher ticket prices than them . If that's typical of the type of money Wigan are paying their players I don't think there is any chance of them balancing the books . It was crazy money.

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

Mike asks about rights regards season tickets and cup games placement.

From the club’s behaviour it’s hard to tell. They act as if not, but give mixed statements for context ‘…this is a unique one-off cup game, and having reviewed previous big home fixtures…’.

In a legal arena (over-the-top I know), if it’s happened before it ain’t unique and you commit to offering the same reoccurring deal unless a prior arrangement is made. To compound matters for the club, just last week there was a cup game when such procedures weren’t mentioned. To expect unquestioning obedience in such a setting is detrimental to any purchaser.

Despite all that, it’s going to happen. Like Chariots Offiah, I think a discussion would have led to the visitors getting the stand. But I think the difference is the subsequent quality of relationship: fans prior input would’ve been valued, creating a set up where regard is two-way.

That’s important as ‘…we (the club) look forward to engaging more actively with our fans…’, Goodburn is quoted as saying in this first thread’s post lifted from the WEP.

As for the Latics needing a rich owner. Yes. Just like many professional sporting clubs - including the RL club under Whelan, Lenegan and now Danson. If not, the previous owner to this trio shows a loss-making club may end up losing its home. Compare the Central Park sale to the football club’s spell in administration and the latter supporters’ fundraising efforts suggests they know the importance of action when it comes to finances.
josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:24 am
Mike wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:46 pm In football and elsewhere, the answer is always a billionaire owner. Which they now have so they're probably pissed off that doesn't mean buying Mesi but does mean losing their seat for a cup tie. Expectations must be higher than living within your means for the Latics, but we're more used to the concept.
😂😂

I want Latics to succeed & be profitable. (Don’t know why some posters seem to think differently of me!) It’s our town football club! Why do a lot football fans think they are superior than RL fans 🤔

Mr Danson could soon get fed up with all the in house fighting, with some of the die hard fans bickering, & according to some on Twitter, only bought the football club to fund the Warriors!!! Go figure!

I’m not particularly interested in football, don’t think I’ve watched a full game since I lived in Aberdeen, when I was relegated to watching soccer & RU! Didn’t have Sky & except when I used to come down for games at CP, the only RL was the CC, Regal Trophy etc on the BBC.

Nothing to do with the clubs or fans, well maybe some fans 😉 It’s the lauding of the players who have this sense they’re Demi-gods or something!! Yes, they are good at what they do, but supermen/heroes? I think not.

I just think they are overpaid & overindulged Prima Donna’s, the majority should get Oscar’s for their acting skills!! (Which, sadly, is creeping into our game now 🤨)
It’s hard to know how to reply to this.

I can say it is fair comment to mull over josie andrews being unable to resist often talking about herself at length.

That’s relevant as such self-focus may be a symptom of the animosity between RL and football fans who support Wigan, with both clubs having antagonistic, seemingly ego-centric elements.

Which is madness when both need each other to function, as is the case between supporters and club owner.

And yet here we are whereby the OP takes several stabs at lambasting a football club’s supporters… in a thread under a section labelled General Rugby League. The irony is delicious.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Superb Chops wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:08 am Mike asks about rights regards season tickets and cup games placement.

From the club’s behaviour it’s hard to tell. They act as if not, but give mixed statements for context ‘…this is a unique one-off cup game, and having reviewed previous big home fixtures…’.

In a legal arena (over-the-top I know), if it’s happened before it ain’t unique and you commit to offering the same reoccurring deal unless a prior arrangement is made. To compound matters for the club, just last week there was a cup game when such procedures weren’t mentioned. To expect unquestioning obedience in such a setting is detrimental to any purchaser.

Despite all that, it’s going to happen. Like Chariots Offiah, I think a discussion would have led to the visitors getting the stand. But I think the difference is the subsequent quality of relationship: fans prior input would’ve been valued, creating a set up where regard is two-way.

That’s important as ‘…we (the club) look forward to engaging more actively with our fans…’, Goodburn is quoted as saying in this first thread’s post lifted from the WEP.

As for the Latics needing a rich owner. Yes. Just like many professional sporting clubs - including the RL club under Whelan, Lenegan and now Danson. If not, the previous owner to this trio shows a loss-making club may end up losing its home. Compare the Central Park sale to the football club’s spell in administration and the latter supporters’ fundraising efforts suggests they know the importance of action when it comes to finances.
josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:24 am
😂😂

It’s hard to know how to reply to this.

I can say it is fair comment to mull over josie andrews being unable to resist often talking about herself at length.

That’s relevant as such self-focus may be a symptom of the animosity between RL and football fans who support Wigan, with both clubs having antagonistic, seemingly ego-centric elements.

Which is madness when both need each other to function, as is the case between supporters and club owner.

And yet here we are whereby the OP takes several stabs at lambasting a football club’s supporters… in a thread under a section labelled General Rugby League. The irony is delicious.
WTF are you talking about? I was just giving instances regarding football & how it has a bearing on myself. If you like to keep putting me down please carry on, it’s water off a ducks back. When you've lived my life & been in my shoes I will consider having a conversation with you. Get off your fecking high horse! 😠
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

To be fair Josie to get off a copulating horse Would be difficult and dangerous Ney thrice nay I don't speak fro experience,honestly even flash would agree ( spelling could be wrong) but nowt up with the imagination
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Superb Chops wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:08 am

It always been a one-way street w.r.t. animosity! :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:01 pm To be fair Josie to get off a copulating horse Would be difficult and dangerous Ney thrice nay I don't speak fro experience,honestly even flash would agree ( spelling could be wrong) but nowt up with the imagination
I would love to know what you are on 🤪🤪🤪
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:57 pm
archiekeith wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:01 pm To be fair Josie to get off a copulating horse Would be difficult and dangerous Ney thrice nay I don't speak fro experience,honestly even flash would agree ( spelling could be wrong) but nowt up with the imagination
I would love to know what you are on 🤪🤪🤪
Was he still drunk from the night before or starting very early? 😅😅🫡