MATT PEET intends to build his Wigan team around leading player

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

MATT PEET intends to build his Wigan team around leading player

Post by josie andrews »

MATT PEET intends to build his Wigan team around promising halfback Harry Smith.

The 23-year-old signed a new four-year deal with the club last week, keeping him at the club until the end of 2027.

That ends any rumours of NRL interest for now, following an excellent year in which Smith shone on both the domestic and international stage

He led Wigan to the League Leaders’ Shield and then Grand Final glory, a year after also playing a pivotal role in winning the Challenge Cup.

Smith was handed a full England debut in mid-season, when he scored a try and nine goals against France, and then played all three of their autumn games against Tonga and was named player of the series.

Those displays even earned him a place on the four-man shortlist for the International Rugby League Golden Boot, although he missed out on the prize to New Zealand’s James Fisher-Harris.

Wigan coach Matt Peet has been handsomely rewarded for placing faith in Smith as his number seven since taking charge two years ago, having mentored him in the junior ranks.

We are delighted that Harry will be at the club for at least four more years,” said Peet.

“His development on and off the field has been outstanding and is a credit to his hard work and dedication.

“We feel we can build around Harry is a player and a person and the length of the contract shows his commitment to succeed at Wigan.”

Smith, who started out at Halton Farnworth Hornets and made his Warriors debut in 2019, said: “I’m really pleased to get the new deal sorted.

Last year’s achievements have given me a real appetite for more. We are building something really special on and off the field.

“The new signings are a clear indication of that and I want to be a part of it.”

https://www.totalrl.com/matt-peets-plan ... ng-player/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: MATT PEET intends to build his Wigan team around leading player

Post by morley pie eater »

Music to my ears!

I recently looked at our list of Trophy wins under IL, which is better than most teams. One thing that stood out was that our wins have tended to be spread out with gaps between them, whereas Saints have had a period of dominance, now coming to an end. Leeds had similar spells in the past.

The way Peet is talking, and Harry's new contract, give me hope that the next 4 years and more will be ours.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:59 pm Music to my ears!

I recently looked at our list of Trophy wins under IL, which is better than most teams. One thing that stood out was that our wins have tended to be spread out with gaps between them, whereas Saints have had a period of dominance, now coming to an end. Leeds had similar spells in the past.

The way Peet is talking, and Harry's new contract, give me hope that the next 4 years and more will be ours.
i think even more so if we can keep French, Field and Smith together with O'Neill at 9 for a min of the next 2 years. The pack is big enough to dominate and give the spine the space to play, so hopefully signs of good things to come
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:59 pm Music to my ears!

We have to make this next period of 5 years or so ours. That’s not to say we have to win everything but it would be nice to think we can go back to back with GF wins at some point. We’ve never done that and we should’ve done (in fact between 2013-2016 we should’ve been the first team to do 4 on the spin).

The squad is talented enough, young enough and has enough improvement in it to be successful. I look across the other teams and Saints will have a period of transition in this next 5 years and none of the others really stand out. If Leeds can get it right, they could start to challenge again but we’re set up really well now to continue challenging for all the trophies.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would need to double check, but the 2 GFs that I felt got away from us were Maguire’s second year, when we were by far the strongest team, and the one we lost through Flower’s brutal stupidity. I will be happy to see what we saw this year - a clear strategy, making the most of our talent, pride in the shirt and entertaining rugby.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

How about the one where saints were kicking a very low percentage penalty to scrape a draw and then we know what happened? That's 3 that got away.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Suspect one of NickyKiss's "ones that got away" is 2015 and McGuire's apparent knock on. Along with the Flower debacle the previous year.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Stanfax wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:38 am Suspect one of NickyKiss's "ones that got away" is 2015 and McGuire's apparent knock on. Along with the Flower debacle the previous year.
Yes the Leeds GF where McGuire knocked on, just so Leeds could win the treble!

Not the first time we’ve been robbed by Dirty Leeds!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

With Matty Peet intending to build his team around Harry Smith then the inevitable conclusion to me is that Harry will replace Liam Farrell as club captain in time.
boggart

Post by boggart »

I hope the lad can handle the weight of expectation Peet's just loaded him with. He's still just a relative youngster. He's an excellent player, admittedly, but does he need a few more years to develop the resilience and maturity this role will need? And hasn't Peet just painted a target on his back?