Jack Welsby keeps NRL door open as St Helens and England star opens up on future

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Jack Welsby keeps NRL door open as St Helens and England star opens up on future

Post by josie andrews »

Welsby is one of the most high-profile players in rugby league.

St Helens star Jack Welsby hasn't closed the door on a future move to Australia's NRL competition, but right now his focus is on playing for the Saints.

Bursting onto the scene in 2018, Welsby has already played over 100 games for the Red Vee and is one of the best players in the UK game. He’s also a firm England international, with clubs in Australia known to be watching his progress with keen interest.

However, the talented full-back is contracted at St Helens for two more years, and while he's committed to the nine-time Super League winners, there is an urge to test himself against the world’s ‘best’ week in and week out.

Speaking on James Graham’s ‘The Bye Round’ podcast, Welsby said: “My main focus at the moment is keeping myself fit. I'm back in at the end of December to start training for the new year, but I'd be lying if I said the NRL and testing myself against the best wasn't something that interests me.

The reason I feel that way now is playing for England. I haven't played against Australia or New Zealand yet, but when you play against Samoa and Tonga, those opportunities excite you. I'm hoping I get more opportunities to play against them in an England shirt.

“I'm still contracted at Saints for two more years, and it would be a hard place to leave as I love it there so much. I'm not saying it's something I'm looking at doing, but it is an interest, especially how luring it is sometimes. It's a decision I'll come to if it ever pops up."

Graham, of course, made the decision to swap St Helens for the NRL in 2012. Joining Sydney-based club Canterbury Bulldogs, the big front rower played in two Grand Finals and also played for St George Illawarra Dragons during his time Down Under. Yet that decision to leave the Saints wasn’t taken lightly, and it’ll be the same for Welsby, whose passion for the club and the sport is there to see.

"I know it's cliche, but I genuinely would be playing rugby league for free if I wasn't at St Helens,” Welsby explained. “I'd be down at St James or Blackbrook with my mates.

It's one of them. I just want to be happy. I want my family to be happy—my mum and dad and my girlfriend—and for them to enjoy me playing rugby. There's a lot that goes into it.

"All my best mates are at Saints. They are genuinely my best mates, and sometimes that is cliche as well, but everyone gets along really well. Even my Mrs loves going to the games just to speak to everyone.”

Aware that talk of his contract situation will step up next season, Welsby is playing it cool. He will be a player in hot demand, but all focus now is on his rugby and little else.

When it comes round, it comes round,” Welsby added. “I'll face it then. I just love playing rugby, and I love playing at St Helens. I've never envisioned myself anywhere else, and the less I think about it, the easier it is.

“I don't want it to become a distraction for myself or my teammates. I know when I see something come out about someone else, I think, 'Is he all in?' I don't want my teammates to question me. The way I see it, I'm at St Helens for the next two years, and I'm all in."

Jack Welsby’s full interview with James Graham can be found here or on all major podcast platforms. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofo-mklzr6k

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... r-28270138
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Jack Welsby keeps NRL door open as St Helens and England star opens up on future

Post by southportcdm »

I can see him moving to the NRL for 2025 if he plays well this coming season without then winning anything. This 2023 would have been a shock to the system and he may think they'll put it right straight away. We have to make certain that they don't. He's one of those players that has been lucky (and of course talented) enough to win competitions early on in his career and he won't enjoy several seasons of not winning anything. If they don't win in 2024 and/or they don't look likely to win in 2025 I can't see him resisting the NRL for much longer.
medlocke

Re: Jack Welsby keeps NRL door open as St Helens and England star opens up on future

Post by medlocke »

Don't think he has the right temperament to play in the NRL, throws his toys out of the pram too easily
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Welsby has a very good rugby brain he puts himself in the right place at the right time

However
While he is very good and probably up on most in superleague

He absolutely is not as good as the version of Sam Tomkins that failed in the nrl
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:35 pm Welsby has a very good rugby brain he puts himself in the right place at the right time

However

He absolutely is not as good as the version of Sam Tomkins that failed in the nrl
It's not quite as simple as that though.

Sam largely failed in the NRL as he couldn't (or was prevented from) bringing his solo running game there.

Welsby's game is different and may (or may not) fit in better in the NRL.

The point is that you cannot say for certain based on comparisons with other players.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:31 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:35 pm Welsby has a very good rugby brain he puts himself in the right place at the right time

However

It's not quite as simple as that though.

Sam largely failed in the NRL as he couldn't (or was prevented from) bringing his solo running game there.

Welsby's game is different and may (or may not) fit in better in the NRL.

The point is that you cannot say for certain based on comparisons with other players.
I know that the NRL likes to play that but I remember seeing Sam at the warriors and then checking his stats. He wasn't a failure and if he'd been at any other clubs but the NZL I doubt he would have come back.

I'm not a ST fan either only reason he hasn't got the same reputation as his brother is he saw the Camera filming.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.