Sky - Phil Clarke

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Nezza Faz

Sky - Phil Clarke

Post by Nezza Faz »

Retired immediately from Sky Sports commentary, according to Sky website.
josie andrews

Re: Sky - Phil Clarke

Post by josie andrews »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:06 am Retired immediately from Sky Sports commentary, according to Sky website.
You need to put a link from sky Neil 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

PHIL CLARKE is set to leave Sky Sports with immediate effect.

The former Wigan Warriors forward has been a stalwart of Sky’s rugby league coverage since 1999, in both the commentary box and studio.

But he says “the time is now right” to step back from his role.

Throughout the course of my life, I’ve been lucky to see rugby league from many different angles,” Clarke said.

“It began as a young boy watching my dad play for Wigan, then transitioned into playing for that club and later became the CEO at the Warriors

“For the last 23 years, I have had the privilege of holding a Sky Sports microphone and watching my favourite sport from the commentary box and studio.

“The time is now right for me to complete the circle of life and return to being the fan that I began as.

I now want to move onto the next chapter of my life and hand over the microphone baton. I feel compelled to thank so many of the people that I have worked with at Sky, especially Neville Smith, Eddie [Hemmings] and Stevo [Mike Stephenson], Bill Arthur and the rest of the team who helped me when I first started to work there.

“If my memory is correct, I played in the first game that Sky (or BSB as they were then) showed of rugby league back on April 1, 1990.

“I now look forward to watching all the games that they will cover this season and beyond. I wish Brian Carney and the rest of the team all the best for 2024.”

Steve Smith, Executive Director of content at Sky Sports said: “Phil has been part of the Sky Sports rugby league family over three decades, and has been an integral part of our coverage, on and off the pitch, since it began.

We wish him every success for the future and know that he’ll always be a great support to the rest of the team from afar, and will enjoy tuning in as a fan when next season starts.”

https://totalrl.us20.list-manage.com/tr ... defb80d33a
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Skemfoozie

Post by Skemfoozie »

He did seem to be being edged out last season
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Wasn't Sam T pursuing a career in television after retirement, maybe this open the door for him to step into his shoes
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im always slightly suspicious when its "with immediate effect"

the sky team need to trim down though far too many people invovled
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:40 pm Im always slightly suspicious when its "with immediate effect"

the sky team need to trim down though far too many people invovled
I’d sooner they got rid of Baz & Tez!!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:20 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:06 am Retired immediately from Sky Sports commentary, according to Sky website.
You need to put a link from sky Neil 😉
I know, but was driving to Liverpool airport as I found out from a friend Josie 👍
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The time is now right for me to complete the circle of life and return to being the fan that I began as.
Supporting Saints probably.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Although I didn't always agree with Phil, he was a decent pundit so yes, sorry to see him go.