Loch Lomond Legends: Frano Botica

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Loch Lomond Legends: Frano Botica

Post by josie andrews »

Frano Botica is our next guest in the popular Loch Lomond Legends Series.

The event will be held on Thursday 22nd February 2024, doors 6pm.

Tickets are available by clicking HERE.

Franco Botica will sit down in conversation with Chief Executive Kris Radlinski in front of a live audience for our latest Loch Lomond Legends Series event on Thursday 22nd February 2024.

Flying in to be guest of honour for the Betfred World Club Challenge, the Wigan legend who played 179 times for the Club will chat about his time at the Club during which time he celebrated 5 League Titles, 5 Challenge Cups and two World Club Challenge wins. He also lifted 3 Premiership Trophies, 2 Regal Trophies, a Lancashire Cup and a Charity Shield.

The dual-code New Zealand international was also famed for his kicking ability, bagging 827 goals and 13 drop goals in his five years at Wigan.

Looking forward to the event Kris Radlinski said: “In this week of Rugby League festivities in February as we build up to our World Club Challenge game against Penrith Panthers, it’s fitting to welcome back one of our all-time iconic players, the legendary Frano Botica.

“As a childhood hero for numerous Wiganers, including myself, Frano played a pivotal role in a memorable era for the club. Having not visited Wigan in years, I eagerly anticipate reconnecting with him and exchanging stories.

“Frano was part of the 1991 team who played the Panthers at Anfield, and we will also invite some of his teammates from that game.”

Tickets for the event are priced at £30 and are available HERE now.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/12/ ... no-botica/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Loch Lomond Legends: Frano Botica

Post by josie andrews »

Cashing in on it being WCC week!!

30 bloody quid!! Are we paying for flights or summat?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think this event sounds very interesting. Frano had a very unusual route to Wigan and it was a big risk to come here, but he left as one of my all-time favourites, and the best kicker we ever had (although others who saw earlier teams might correct me on that). He also "wasn't a 6" - at least in the RL sense - but eventually held that position truly on merit IMO. I'd be interested in hearing what he's got to say. I hope its a good interview.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:14 pm I think this event sounds very interesting. Frano had a very unusual route to Wigan and it was a big risk to come here, but he left as one of my all-time favourites, and the best kicker we ever had (although others who saw earlier teams might correct me on that). He also "wasn't a 6" - at least in the RL sense - but eventually held that position truly on merit IMO. I'd be interested in hearing what he's got to say. I hope its a good interview.
I have watched them since early 60s Mike and best kicker I have seen. Looking forward to it. Went to night with ellery Hanley last Saturday night was a great night. He was there when I got there at 6.30 and still there when I left at 11.30 mixing with people his talk was brilliant never swore once and talked about all players he had played with. Even Edward's called in to see him .
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:51 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:14 pm I think this event sounds very interesting. Frano had a very unusual route to Wigan and it was a big risk to come here, but he left as one of my all-time favourites, and the best kicker we ever had (although others who saw earlier teams might correct me on that). He also "wasn't a 6" - at least in the RL sense - but eventually held that position truly on merit IMO. I'd be interested in hearing what he's got to say. I hope its a good interview.
I have watched them since early 60s Mike and best kicker I have seen. Looking forward to it. Went to night with ellery Hanley last Saturday night was a great night. He was there when I got there at 6.30 and still there when I left at 11.30 mixing with people his talk was brilliant never swore once and talked about all players he had played with. Even Edward's called in to see him .
My dad said he was the best kicker he had seen and he came as a fly half mike.Stand off was his beat position although he was very comfortable at seven and wing and fullback also
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I agree. Richards came close 😊
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

100% the best kicker I have seen. He was also a very decent link player. The team he played in was populated by superstars though, so he didn't "stand out" at "stand off" :lol:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Frano who? - developed into a good link 6 in the Blake Green mould - but what a kicker and one of very few kickers who intimidated the opposition. Can't question his iron will to win and to develop into a great and a Wigan Great to boot!!!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:00 pm
I agree. Richards came close 😊
Cant agree josie, richards not in his league but was very good
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

It will be £80 to see Doc Murray at this rate.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame