Kevin Sinfield

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Kevin Sinfield

Post by Mike »

Hattster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:44 pm Can someone please explain what the difference is between receiving a CBE, MBE, OBE & being knighted ?
I think Google could do that?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:24 pm
Hattster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:44 pm Can someone please explain what the difference is between receiving a CBE, MBE, OBE & being knighted ?
I think Google could do that?
CBE is one down from a knighthood.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Can someone tell me how the feck has Ralph ‘dirty gob" Rimmer gets an OBE for services to Rugby League??

For successfully stealing a living from RL!

Saw a good response to OBE in the case of Ralph Rimmer received it for "other buggers efforts" 😂😂
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Just heard the news of the honour bestowed on both Kevin and Rob Congratulations!
I'm reminded of a quote by John Starker on "Desert Island disc show during the "troubles" in N I" a time of adversity. He mentioned a song from "The Holies" I think it was? Which I think epitomises brotherly love generally and specifically in Kev and Rob's case..........
He ain't heavy he's my brother!
Happy New Year to all the RL fraternity. Brothers in our great game.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The horrific reason Kevin Sinfield wasn’t awarded a knighthood

Rugby union journalist David Walsh has revealed the horrific reason why Leeds Rhinos legends Kevin Sinfield and Rob Burrow weren’t given knighthoods.

Walsh was responding to the news that rugby union figure Bill Beaumont was essentially awarded a second knighthood whilst Burrow and Sinfield, who have raised £15 million in the fight against Motor Neurone Disease which Burrow has been fighting himself since he was diagnosed back in December 2019.

The two are being awarded a CBE each in 2024. Sinfield was awarded an MBE for his playing career before an OBE for his charity efforts in the MND community. Burrow was awarded an MBE for his courageous battle against MND as well.

But still knighthoods allude them and Walsh has tried to explain starting his brilliant piece in the Times with the following disclaimer so to speak:

“It is sensible not to attach much importance to the annual honours’ list. For all the worthy recipients, there are some who get there by dint of a political donation or having some kind of relationship with a brazen former prime minister. I’m not sure what to think about the latest abuse, the already infamous 11 recipients of Liz Truss’s patronage.

“Should we feel a certain sympathy for their new-found notoriety or disgust that they hadn’t the wit to say no? As for bestowing titles on athletes for services to their particular sport, at the very least this is questionable. For being good footballers or runners or cricketers, athletes are handsomely rewarded. Some earn millions, almost all enjoy the privilege of being able to make the list.”

He then went on to explain that the reason Kevin Sinfield and Rob Burrow weren’t given knighthoods is because rugby league, unlike rugby union, isn’t part of the establishment so to speak meaning they are not recognised in the same way as rugby union and other sports.

Either way it is truly disappointing to see the duo, who are the most deserving of anyone, to once again miss out on knighthoods as we head into 2024 and even though they will receive a CBE the wait for knighthoods will go on.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/the-horr ... ood-87033/
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Kev and Rob transcend knighthoods. To right minded people the respect and admiration they share is beyond question Yhey are the real deal!
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:07 am Kev and Rob transcend knighthoods. To right minded people the respect and admiration they share is beyond question Yhey are the real deal!
+1
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:07 am Kev and Rob transcend knighthoods. To right minded people the respect and admiration they share is beyond question Yhey are the real deal!
100% ✅
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I fully agree with you but we should still push to get them recognised internationally.