Sky Sports bring in three new commentators for the 2024 season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Sky Sports bring in three new commentators for the 2024 season

Post by josie andrews »

SKY SPORTS have brought in three popular figures to join their commentary line-up for the 2024 Super League season.

Kyle Amor and Mark Wilson, both of whom were part of the revered Channel 4 commentary team in 2022 and 2023, will be joined by BBC favourite Dave Woods on Sky Sports from next season onwards.

The news was announced this morning by Sky Sports Rugby League on their X page, with the broadcasting giant determined to bring in new fans and continue its popularity with old ones.

Amor and Wilson, in particular, have rose in prominence in recent seasons so it is a major boost for Sky Sports that they have been able to lure the duo.

Of course, Sky Sports will no longer have Phil Clarke on the commentary team after he surprisingly left before Christmas to focus on his commitments outside of rugby league.

Meanwhile, Channel 4’s coverage of Super League is over after the BBC beat the terrestrial broadcaster to the rights for 2024 onwards.

This year for the first time, Sky Sports will show all six matches in each Super League round live which accounts to almost 170 games each year across Sky Sports channels and platforms.

The fixtures will include Magic Weekend fixtures, play-offs and all three Grand Finals: Men’s, Women’s and Wheelchair.

Helen Falkus, Sky Sports Director of Multi Sports, said: “This season represents a really exciting opportunity for both us and the League with the new rights deal, so it’s fantastic to be welcoming three new faces in Kyle, Dave and Mark.

“They will each bring quality, experience and an understanding of what the Rugby League community wants to know. We have every confidence that they will take our coverage to new levels as we bring fans every fixture across Sky platforms.”

https://www.totalrl.com/sky-sports-brin ... ue-season/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
endoman

Re: Sky Sports bring in three new commentators for the 2024 season

Post by endoman »

More good news. I'd like to see Sam be involved more as well.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

endoman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:14 pm More good news. I'd like to see Sam be involved more as well.
But I thought Sam and family were continuing to live in the South of France so that be off the cards. We'll just have to wait and see.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:01 pm
endoman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:14 pm More good news. I'd like to see Sam be involved more as well.
But I thought Sam and family were continuing to live in the South of France so that be off the cards. We'll just have to wait and see.
Maybe use him for Catalans games
endoman

Post by endoman »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:55 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:01 pm
Maybe use him for Catalans games
He'll likely be in UK when Cats are, and possibly have some opportunities then? That's what he did last year wasn't it? Is he now coaching at Cats? I can't remember.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Someone at Sky must have been listening to me..... Sam Tomkins to join Sky Team, info from Sky facebook page.

"After hanging his boots up on a glittering career, Sam Tomkins is joining Sky Sports for the biggest-ever season of Super League on Sky Sports and NOW 🤩"
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

endoman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:03 pm Someone at Sky must have been listening to me..... Sam Tomkins to join Sky Team, info from Sky facebook page.

"After hanging his boots up on a glittering career, Sam Tomkins is joining Sky Sports for the biggest-ever season of Super League on Sky Sports and NOW 🤩"
That’s a quote but where is the link?

I’ll put one on for you.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... gue-season
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Tomkins: Former England captain joins Sky Sports for 2024 Super League season

Sam Tomkins joins the Sky Sports line-up for the biggest-ever year of Super League; Tomkins retired at the end of the 2023 season; watch every match of the 2024 Super League season, including men's, women's and wheelchair Grand Finals, on Sky Sports

After hanging his boots up on a glittering career, Sam Tomkins is joining Sky Sports for the biggest-ever season of Super League on Sky Sports and NOW. 

Tomkins brought an illustrious 15-year career to an end last year, with the England captain and two-time Man of Steel retiring at the end of the 2023 Super League season.

With three Grand Final wins, two Challenge Cups, two League Leaders Shields and two Man of Steel awards to his name, Tomkins is one of Super League's most decorated stalwarts and will take his place among the greats of the modern era.

When he decided to call time on his playing career last season, he ended it with 352 appearances and 1,462 points to his name for both club and country.

Now, he will give his unrivalled insight, expert opinion and analysis as an analyst on Sky Sports.

On joining Sky Sports, Tomkins said: "It's a real pleasure to be joining such a talented team. Sky Sports is Rugby League's greatest partner and has played an important role in the sport for as long as I've been playing so it's brilliant to now be working here.

I can't wait to turn my hand to being a full-time broadcaster and impart some of the experience and insight I've taken from the changing room and out on the pitch to those watching at home."

Tomkins is the latest addition to the team, which has already been bolstered by four-time Super League Grand Final winner, Kyle Amor and broadcasters Dave Woods and Mark Wilson.

They join Sky Sports following a historic rights deal made last year, giving Super League fans the chance to watch every Betfred Super League match live for the first time. 

Helen Falkus, Sky Sports director of multi sports, added: "To be able to welcome someone of Sam's stature within the game is hugely exciting. From the conversations we've had, you can already tell there's a real desire to contribute and learn.

"This is set to be our biggest Rugby League season yet on Sky Sports and we're the only place fans can watch every game live. The signings of Sam alongside Kyle, Dave and Mark really signal our intent to bring fans the best coverage possible."

Sky Sports and NOW is the only place to watch every game live all season. All six matches in each Super League round will be shown live, totalling around 170 games each year across Sky and NOW platforms. This will include Magic Weekend fixtures, Playoffs and all three Grand Finals - Men's, Women's and Wheelchair. 

Continued innovation will also be seen on screen, as renewed investment means that video referees will now feature in all Super League matches, bringing increased consistency and integrity to the sport.

In addition to live matches, Super League fans can tune in to Sky Sports for a range of support programming, including interviews and features whilst being able to stay across all the latest rugby league news on Sky Sports' social media channels, skysports.com, the Sky Sports App and Sky Sports News.  For non-Sky subscribers, fans can still stream every Betfred Super League live match with a NOW Sports Month membership.

Watch every match of the 2024 Super League season, including Magic Weekend, the play-offs, and men's, women's and wheelchair Grand Finals, plus the World Club Challenge, live on Sky Sports. Also stream with NOW.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... gue-season
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It had to happen with Sam as he has done stints over the years with Sky. He would have been the poster boy for Rugby League if he hadn’t gone to NZ at the height of his career IMO
God2

Post by God2 »

So there’s no more Phil Clark and his “The Wigan Club” commentary.

Jon Wells, Terry and Barry are they all involved?

I particularly like Jon Wells tbh he was one of the better ones.

And wasn’t the Aussie lady pregnant? I’m unsure on that one.