Game Vs Midlands Hurricanes

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Game Vs Midlands Hurricanes

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Won 24-20
Ryan Brown and Taylor Kerr both bagging a brace each
josie andrews

Re: Game Vs Midlands Hurricanes

Post by josie andrews »

It was bloody freezing a really cold biting wind 🥶
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
endoman

Post by endoman »

Did well to beat a team of much more experienced players. Chan worked hard and looked lively, Makin some good yards, and Farrimond and whoever the stand off was doing lots of organising. A nice day out and easy journey for me, yep it was a bit chilly...
adam0026

Post by adam0026 »

It was a good day out.
Nice to go to a game on a Saturday afternoon.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Three takeaways as youthful Warriors defeat Midlands Hurricanes: Chan makes first appearance & sons of legends feature

Here are three takeaways as a mixture of Wigan’s academy and reserves defeated League 1 opposition Midlands Hurricanes 24-20 in the first friendly of 2024.

Sons of Super League legends feature

The sons of Wigan legend and current assistant coach Sean O’Loughlin and ex-hooker Mickey Higham featured for the Warriors.

17-year-old George O’Loughlin, who joined the club in 2022, started in the centres while Harry Higham, a winger, was named on the bench.

Both their fathers and families attended the fixture at Alexander Stadium - with the League 1 club hoping to move to the main stadium in time for their season kick-off.

Familiar face joins coaching staff

Two-time Grand Final winner Joel Tomkins was spotted among the coaching staff, assisting in the warm-ups and during the 80 minutes for the young Wigan side.

Announced as a reserves/academy pre-season friendly, senior head coach Matt Peet and first-team prop Patrick Mago were also amid the crowd of a couple hundred.

Tiaki Chan features in first Wigan game as youngsters impress

New recruit Tiaki Chan made his first appearance for the club, named at loose forward ahead of kick-off.

The 23-year-old made some strong carries against the League 1 opposition, coached by ex-Bradford boss Mark Dunning.

Meanwhile, a couple of youngsters stood out during the cold Saturday afternoon fixture.

Forward pair Ryan Brown and Taylor Kerr both crossed for braces in the victory, impressing in the middle of the field.

Both 18, the duo made some strong carries, with Kerr taking three defenders over the line with him under the posts for his side’s fourth and final four-pointer.

Jack Farrimond, who has been promoted to the club’s first-team for 2024 with shirt number 30, converted four goals for a 100% record. A bit to go, but you can definitely see the talent is there with a bright future tipped.

With a slick step, the young half-back also kicked a 40/20 late on in the fixture.

Harvey Makin, who will head to Championship side Barrow Raiders on a season-long loan for 2024, also had an influence in the middle.

First-team players Tom Forber and Jacob Douglas also had their first run-outs of the year.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... re-4486499
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Please note, the above report is from local paper Wigan Today & NOT the Wigan Warriors Official Site!

I’ve already complained about the abysmal reporting from the clubs media!

This is on Twitter/X from the clubs media!

https://x.com/wiganwarriorsrl/status/17 ... 3wQUEE0zxA
endoman

Post by endoman »

Thought I saw Joel in the warm up, didn't know he was back at Wigan.
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

I think the Club are going to have to be careful if they think that the official “report” of this game is good enough for the fans. I think it’s pathetic that we have to rely on the local media to provide a credible report, rather than the Club. Similarly with respect to the player profiles. Not what one would expect from the Super League Champions, I would respectfully suggest.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I actually signed back up to Twitter or X as it’s now called because it said Wigan would provide full match updates on there. It provided hardly anything! Very poor when usually that first friendly is shown live on Wigan tv. Like I’ve said in previous posts, going backward in some ways. Anyway, I’m interest to know how Chan went? Make much yards?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

endoman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:57 pm Thought I saw Joel in the warm up, didn't know he was back at Wigan.
He’s an assistant academy coach 😊