Catalans Dragons plot Tommy Makinson raid as St Helens ace emerges as top target

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Catalans Dragons plot Tommy Makinson raid as St Helens ace emerges as top target

Post by josie andrews »

Exclusive: The French club are chasing a front-line signing, with Tom Johnstone expected to leave at the end of the season.

Catalans Dragons are set to launch a shock move for St Helens winger Tommy Makinson. Rugby League Live understands the French club are hoping to convince the England international to see out his career in Perpignan having spent the last 13 seasons in the red vee.

Makinson, 32, is off-contract at the end of the season and will be free to speak to clubs from May 1st. But the Dragons are already drawing up plans for their 2025 season with the knowledge that Tom Johnstone is likely to depart. His former club, Wakefield Trinity, have made him their number one transfer target and are thought to be willing to spend marquee money to lure last year's Man of Steel candidate back to the club. Furthermore, fellow winger Tom Davies is also off-contract and is likely to command interest. With that in mind, the Dragons are thought to have pin-pointed Makinson as their top wing target

Sam Tomkins has been placed in charge of the club's recruitment following his retirement and the Dragons hope his strong relationship with Makinson from their days playing together for England will help them lure him away from the Saints, where he has won five Super League Grand Finals.

Makinson, one of the best wingers Super League has seen, is currently eighth in the competition's all-time try-scoring charts, scoring 177 times in 284 games. He has played 315 games for St Helens, scoring 193 tries, and he has scored 13 times for England in just ten appearances. He was crowned the best international player in the world in 2018 when he won the Golden Boot.

The prospect of Makinson playing anywhere other than St Helens will come as a shock to many. But Saints have managed to keep their all-conquering squad together under increasing salary cap challenges and a move to Catalans would likely provide the winger with an opportunity to end his career with a lucrative pay day.

Sources as St Helens have indicated that discussions with Makinson have been ongoing for some time. But after giving Jack Welsby a significant upgrade to stay at the club amid NRL interest and with Lewis Dodd also off-contract at the end of the season, Saints aren't likely to have the salary cap space available to compete with Catalans who, along with Johnstone, are also expected to lose England international Mike McMeeken at the end of the year.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... n-28508362
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Catalans Dragons plot Tommy Makinson raid as St Helens ace emerges as top target

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I'm more interested in where Johnstone is supposed to be heading
josie andrews

Re: Catalans Dragons plot Tommy Makinson raid as St Helens ace emerges as top target

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:02 pm I'm more interested in where Johnstone is supposed to be heading
Wakey supposedly 🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Done upset he was not made captain
jobo

Post by jobo »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:51 pm Done upset he was not made captain
Tommy was upset?
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Done and dusted hope he likes cheap wine & they dont sell steak puddings with chips Tommy
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:03 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:02 pm I'm more interested in where Johnstone is supposed to be heading
Wakey supposedly 🤔
I’d have him here.
He’s wasted going back to wakey
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:24 pm
Wakey supposedly 🤔
I’d have him here.
I'd absolutely have him here too but at who's expense?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I wonder if saints would be bothered to much, I like Makinson I think he's a excellent finisher but I also think he's one of this players that's as good as his inside players and by himself doesn't make anything. It's why I always preferred Charnley when we had him, Charney would create his gaps, makinson would get through the ones created by others.

Saints have a solid centre and 2nd row, if they have someone else who can kick then they could swap makinson for a young speedy winger and be okay.

What they will miss is his experience and leadership. Lomax acts like a petulant child on the pitch and dives more than a football player. Makinson is professional.

On Johnstone i wonder what went on, he was key for them last year I remember the matches vs us well as Johnstone is literally the only reason we didn't have 4 more tries. He was everywhere.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:05 pm
Barney841 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:24 pm

Wakey supposedly 🤔
I’d have him here.
I'd absolutely have him here too but at who's expense?
I’d have replace Miski.
I like Miski but I rate Johnstone higher, even though Johnstone plays on the left