Stevie Ward to Sue Leeds

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jobo

Re: Stevie Ward to Sue Leeds

Post by jobo »

Hattster wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:02 pm When I played(amateur) we used to have a bloke come round offering us insurance if we wanted it. Do pro players not need any form of insurance these days? I understand it's professional but surely clubs/players have to take out insurance, or maybe concussion isn't covered by it :roll:
The players are covered by insurance, the cost of which has rocketed since the potential affects of concussion have become more apparent.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

I wonder how many potential concussions he may have suffered when playing at amateur level.

Should players sue their former amateur clubs, should they sue their parents who probably drove them to training and games each week and if they were a good player probably encouraged/made them play each week.

If anyone taking up RL does not know that there is a potential they may get injured and in some rare cases seriously injured, then they must not have much between the ears in the first place
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

WarriorWinger wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:30 am I wonder how many potential concussions he may have suffered when playing at amateur level.

Should players sue their former amateur clubs, should they sue their parents who probably drove them to training and games each week and if they were a good player probably encouraged/made them play each week.

If anyone taking up RL does not know that there is a potential they may get injured and in some rare cases seriously injured, then they must not have much between the ears in the first place
Well said, common sense, but we appear to have lost that in today's society. :evil:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

WarriorWinger wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:30 am I wonder how many potential concussions he may have suffered when playing at amateur level.

I think that's an argument to ban the game.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I assume he is sueing Leeds on some form of basis that they didn’t follow proper concussion protocol which meant he played too soon and suffered another consussion which led to his retirement.

That scenario is completely different to what you have suggested above.

It isn’t about players knowing there’s a risk of injury, it’s about duty of care.

If you were a builder and a brick fell on your head and gave you a brain injury, would you sue the company if you found out they skipped health and safety and it directly resulted in your injury? Or would you shrug it off and say there’s always a risk on a building site?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:04 am

I assume he is sueing Leeds on some form of basis that they didn’t follow proper concussion protocol which meant he played too soon and suffered another consussion which led to his retirement.

It isn’t about players knowing there’s a risk of injury, it’s about duty of care.

If you were a builder and a brick fell on your head and gave you a brain injury, would you sue the company if you found out they skipped health and safety and it directly resulted in your injury? Or would you shrug it off and say there’s always a risk on a building site?

Not the best example.
You couldn't sue anyone. He would not be allowed on site without wearing a hard hat and all ppe so building company has fulfilled his duty of care. I would also argue as same sort of scull cap is easily available for rugby players.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:36 pm

Not the best example.
You couldn't sue anyone. He would not be allowed on site without wearing a hard hat and all ppe so building company has fulfilled his duty of care. I would also argue as same sort of scull cap is easily available for rugby players.
I see, take a shot at the example, but not the principle - which is pretty clear. If your employer did not follow safety regulations and best practices and you were injured as a direct result - you can sue.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:39 pm

Not the best example.
I see, take a shot at the example, but not the principle - which is pretty clear. If your employer did not follow safety regulations and best practices and you were injured as a direct result - you can sue.
Not taking a shot at anything what I was trying to highlight is there are set safety guidelines in the building trade with ppe as law. There is safety ppe for all sports played including headgear but no legislation in place to make this mandatory in adult rugby. What suprises me is the amount of players now coming forward with head injuries but there is no increase in players taking head protection.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:53 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:39 pm

[/b]
Not the best example.
Not taking a shot at anything what I was trying to highlight is there are set safety guidelines in the building trade with ppe as law. There is safety ppe for all sports played including headgear but no legislation in place to make this mandatory in adult rugby. What suprises me is the amount of players now coming forward with head injuries but there is no increase in players taking head protection.
How has head protection worked in the NFL?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

Mike wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:58 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:54 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:23 pm
You really MUST put the link from the news article you’ve posted this from! It’s copyright laws you are breaking.

If you don’t know how to do it, please ask.
Its OK to describe a story without a link, just not to post the copied article.
This last comment is right.

Further, copying and republishing much, if not all, of someone’s work likely breaks copyright laws.

In short, the first post in this thread is fine. It merely paraphrases the gist of what’s reported.

The third post, meanwhile, takes an item in its near-entirety and potentially hinders the publisher’s audience figures and, subsequently, income through lost advertising revenue.

The more this practise is done here, the greater the likelihood of issues. Whatever the intentions of the poster.