Wigan squad for Hull FC (Pre-Season)

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan squad for Hull FC (Pre-Season)

Post by josie andrews »

22-man squad announced for Sunday’s pre-season clash against Hull FC, in association with Matrix Fitness.

Matt Peet has named a strong squad ahead of the friendly at the MKM Stadium.

Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, Sunday 4 February, 2pm K.O.

Matt Peet has named a 22-man squad for Sunday’s pre-season friendly against Hull FC at the MKM Stadium.

Peet will take a strong squad to face Hull FC in former Warrior Scott Taylor’s Testimonial match, which could see six of Wigan’s Grand Final winners feature for the first time this pre-season as well as new signing Adam Keighran.

Wigan squad for Hull FC:

Liam Byrne
T Chan
J Douglas
T Dupree
Z Eckersley
K Ellis
L Farrell
J Farrimond
J Field
B French
R Hampshire
H Hill
W Isa
A Keighran
K Leeming
P Mago
L Marshall
B O’Neill
H Smith
L Thompson
S Walters
J Wardle

Hull FC have also named their squad for the friendly:

1 – Tex Hoy
3- Carlos Tuimavave
4 – Liam Sutcliffe
5 – Darnell McIntosh
7 – Fa’amanu Brown
8 – Herman Ese’ese
9 – Danny Houghton
10 – Franklin Pele
11 – Jayden Okunbor
12 – Ligi Sao
13 – Brad Fash
14 – Joe Cator
15 – Jordan Lane
16 – Jack Ashworth
17 – Cam Scott
20 – Jack Brown
21 – Will Gardiner
23 – Davy Litten
26 – Lewis Martin

Tickets for Sunday’s game are now off-sale online but remain available to purchase from the Robin Park Arena Club Store until 3pm today. Cash turnstiles will also be in operation on the day.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/02/ ... re-season/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan squad for Hull FC (Pre-Season)

Post by josie andrews »

Peet previews Hull FC (Pre-Season)

Matt Peet will be looking to field his ‘strongest team’ in Sunday’s friendly against Hull FC.

Peet: “We will start the game with what I perceive to be our strongest team before we make some interchanges which will best prepare the 17 for Castleford.”

Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, Sunday 4 February, MKM Stadium, 2pm K.O.

Matt Peet will be looking to field his ‘strongest team’ in Sunday’s pre-season friendly against Hull FC at the MKM Stadium.

The Warriors head coach has named a 22-player squad to face their Super League opponents in Scott Taylor’s testimonial game this weekend, which includes seven players who are yet to feature this pre-season.

Speaking on his selected squad, Peet said: “We will start the game with what I perceive to be our strongest team before we make some interchanges which will best prepare the 17 for Castleford.

“Some of the extra players in the squad are there to provide depth as some players might only play 60 to 65 minutes. Although it looks a big squad, it will be approached with Castleford in mind.”

The Warriors travel to the MKM Stadium to face Hull FC in Scott Taylor’s testimonial match. The forward, who announced his retirement from the game in September, won the Challenge Cup and Super League Grand Final during his time at the DW Stadium.

Looking ahead to the clash, Peet said: “Although it is a serious game and one that we want to perform in, it’s a pleasure for us to pay tribute to Scott on Sunday. He spent some time here where he played the game very tough and I’m sure both set of supporters will get behind him.”

The friendly against Hull FC will be the Warriors’ third run out of pre-season after a Reserves and Academy side faced Midlands Hurricanes, before a number of First Team players played minutes against Wakefield Trinity in a fixture that was cut short due to repeated floodlight failure.

Assistant coaches Sean O’Loughlin and Tommy Leuluai took charge of the Warriors at Wakefield, which enabled Peet to assess individuals more closely from the stands.

Talking through the friendly against Trinity, Peet said: “We knew it was going to be a night for them testing things out, but for us as an organisation we were able to experience the new facilities and the vibrancy around the Club.

“[The friendly] It allowed Tommy and Lockers to concentrate on giving their messages throughout, as well as experiencing giving the pre-match and half time team talk which is something I was trusted to do when coming through as a coach. It was a good exercise and challenge for them, and I thought they did a good job.”

Reflecting on pre-season as a whole, Peet said: “I feel like we’ve achieved what we set out to do. When you look back at our planning at the start for the team and for each individuals, we’ve hit that.

“From a coaching and performance team perspective pre-season is a really focused time to get work done without the interference of games or injuries and suspensions. It doesn’t mean you are going to have a great season, but it can certainly prepare you for one.”

Watch the full match preview with Matt Peet on Wigan TV HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/02/ ... re-season/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Welski

Post by Welski »

What a numpty I am! Took the ko time from www.rugbyleagueontv.com! Missed the first half jet washing a rug in the garden😆
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Early doors post but Harvie Hill has had a great game so far.
Welski

Post by Welski »

Cheers. Saw the second half looked v impressive given first run out with a lot of fresh faces. Mago looks like he has carried on from his second half of last season. Good season ahead fingers crossed we are relatively injury free this time.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Impressive result, I think we might see alot of games where we pull away second half due to our strength off the bench.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:15 pm Early doors post but Harvie Hill has had a great game so far.
Over the 2 games I think he’s just about been our best prop. He looks like he’s had a great pre season and in that form, he can push for a place in the first 17.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Bit sluggish first half which is ok pre season. French looks to be carrying extra though that maybe is deliberate his arms look bigger could be so he can cope with front line D easier he normally takes a couple of games to get match fit from previous seasons and injury. Leeming coming on off the back of Dupree Mago Walters looks like it will cause teams huge issues. I also thought O'Niel second period picked up on what Leemings did and kicked on with it. Douglas looks to have an edge of class about him. Field once game opened up was dangerous. All in all good hit out Walters shoulder area a concern Mago leg seemed like only knocks.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Lots of positives today, Leeming looked very good and O'Neil did well. Props all very good and shared the work. Walters, Isa and Faz looked dangerous in rotation. Smith, Farrimond and Hampshire looked good/Field and French eased into the game. Wardle looked class. Douglas scored a real beauty in the corner. Mago stepped through nicely for his try.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Very pleasing, and a more entertaining game than I expected. Our pack and bench looked great, Hampshire showed some nice touches as well when given the reins. Douglas and Eckersley didn't do themselves any harm either.