Harry Newman: Leeds Rhinos retain England centre on two-year deal Published

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Harry Newman: Leeds Rhinos retain England centre on two-year deal Published

Post by josie andrews »

England centre Harry Newman has signed a new two-year contract with Leeds Rhinos to run to the end of the 2026 Super League season.

The 23-year-old has scored 26 tries in 76 games for the Rhinos in addition to 21 tries in 18 on loan at Featherstone Rovers in 2019.

Newman made his England international bow in 2023 and played all three Tests against Tonga, scoring one try.

"This is my club," said the academy product.

"I am very excited about the direction we are heading in this season. I missed out on the Challenge Cup win in 2020 and the Grand Final in 2022 through injury and I am determined to be part of a successful period here at AMT Headingley in the coming years."

Newman has had serious injuries to content with during his career, including a broken leg and numerous hamstring issues, bouncing back to establish himself at club and Test level.

Last season's 17 appearances were his best since 2019 and coincided with his inclusion in Shaun Wane's England group.

"He has set a benchmark for himself now and we feel we can take his performances to another level and fulfil his undoubted potential," said head coach Rohan Smith.

"He has overcome a lot of adversity in his career so far but he is passionate about playing for Leeds Rhinos. It is important that we retain great English talent, both for Leeds and for Super League, as I know there was interest from the NRL to sign Harry."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/68233214
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan