Martin Offiah likens Saints star Jack Welsby to Sam Tomkins as legend gives 2024 Super League assessments

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Martin Offiah likens Saints star Jack Welsby to Sam Tomkins as legend gives 2024 Super League assessments

Post by josie andrews »

Legend Martin Offiah has likened St Helens star Jack Welsby to Wigan Warriors icon and recently retired full-back Sam Tomkins as the former player shares his assessments for 2024.

The new Super League campaign kicks off on Thursday, February 15, with the Hull derby, while Matt Peet’s Warriors get their title defence underway with a trip to Castleford Tigers. The match will also open BBC’s new historic three-year broadcast deal with the Super League.

Reigning champions Wigan have been joined by six new additions during the off-season, with the likes of Grand Final winners Morgan Smithies, Toby King and Kai Pearce-Paul all departing at the end of 2023.

Offiah, one of the most prolific try-scorers in the sport’s history, believes Wigan will continue to achieve success in 2024 with their stacked squad, while praising Saints star Jack Welsby.

The 22-year-old England international, born in Wigan, signed a contract extension until the end of 2027 in December, despite interest from the NRL after an impressive 2023 campaign that included the World Club Challenge win over Penrith Panthers in Australia.

“It’s an exciting squad that Matt Peet has got with some exciting players,” Offiah said. “I expect them to continue their dominance.

“I think, look out for Kruise Leeming, coming off the bench potentially and really affecting games. Luke Thompson, an English forward, has returned from Australia.

“There are also a lot of young players coming through. Young players are the lifeblood of this competition, to produce our own superstars.

“It’s an exciting squad that Matt Peet has got with exciting players.”

The Wigan Hall of Famer continued: “St Helens are going to be there or thereabouts.

“I can’t say enough about Jack Welsby, he is basically Sam Tomkins 2.0. That’s the biggest compliment I can pay to him.

"St Helens have done well to keep hold of him with a new extended contract.

“I think that was massive for the club. If they had lost him alongside James Roby and Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, it could have been a hard season. But they’ve still got him.

“And it’s going to be all about Wigan on February 24 when they host the Penrith Panthers in the World Club Challenge.

“Matt Peet will want nothing but a win.

“We’re beyond competing against the southern hemisphere, we have to win.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ts-4518642
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Martin Offiah likens Saints star Jack Welsby to Sam Tomkins as legend gives 2024 Super League assessments

Post by josie andrews »

Think Chariots is joking surely??

He’s nowhere near Sam Tomkins ability IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan1

Re: Martin Offiah likens Saints star Jack Welsby to Sam Tomkins as legend gives 2024 Super League assessments

Post by Wigan1 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:43 pm Think Chariots is joking surely??

He’s nowhere near Sam Tomkins ability IMO
I agree, not a patch on Tomkins. Good player, but not at Tomkins level.