Bill Francis

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaiJones

Bill Francis

Post by DaiJones »

Bill Francis , one of Wigan's greats, passed away yesterday at the age of 76.

He played 400 games for the club between 1964 and 1977 scoring 159 tries. He won the Lancashire Cup twice, the League Leader's Trophy, the BBC2 Floodlit Trophy and was unfortunate to lose twice at Wembley. In the 1968-69 season he topped the season's try charts with 40. Also represented Wales and Great Britain at international level. Originally rom Featherstone but signed for Wigan aged 16 after catching the eye in televised youth matches in 1963.

He also played for St Helens, Oldham and Salford. RIP Bill
josie andrews

Re: Bill Francis

Post by josie andrews »

Yes, sincere condolences to his family RIP Bill 😢💔🥀
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

Sad news, cracking player and a good bloke. RIP.
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

RIP Bill. Condolences to his family and friends.😟
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

RIP Bill respect
PJC

Post by PJC »

Although rugby becomes secondary at this moment he was a very talented player. The type of centre that you don’t see a lot of today. I can remember his centre partnership with Peter Rowe.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

PJC wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:19 pm Although rugby becomes secondary at this moment he was a very talented player. The type of centre that you don’t see a lot of today. I can remember his centre partnership with Peter Rowe.
So do I. Bill was a very talented centre very much from the same mould as Jake Wardle. He was also terrific company and will be sadly missed by all those that knew him. God bless.
Charriots Offiah

Interesting post on the other forum, the Club has yet to acknowledge Bill’s passing and there are suggestions that the Club did not send a representative to his funeral. If true, then I personally find that amazing given Bill represented Wigan on more than 400 occasions. Perhaps we are not the caring club that we pretend to be.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:33 pm Interesting post on the other forum, the Club has yet to acknowledge Bill’s passing and there are suggestions that the Club did not send a representative to his funeral. If true, then I personally find that amazing given Bill represented Wigan on more than 400 occasions. Perhaps we are not the caring club that we pretend to be.
Yes they did on both accounts.
The wigan site made the announcement the day after his death and representatives from wigan saints and players past and present attended his funeral.
Charriots Offiah

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:35 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:33 pm Interesting post on the other forum, the Club has yet to acknowledge Bill’s passing and there are suggestions that the Club did not send a representative to his funeral. If true, then I personally find that amazing given Bill represented Wigan on more than 400 occasions. Perhaps we are not the caring club that we pretend to be.
Yes they did on both accounts.
The wigan site made the announcement the day after his death and representatives from wigan saints and players past and present attended his funeral.
Thank you but the point was a minutes silence and recognition in the programme which, to be honest, I have not seen. Who represented the club at his funeral? I know plenty of past players were there.