Alex Walmsley's passionate player's union plea following Super League tackle rule changes

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Alex Walmsley's passionate player's union plea following Super League tackle rule changes

Post by josie andrews »

Following a weekend of much talk about the new rules in Super League, St Helens star Alex Walmsley has written an exclusive column for Rugby League Live.

Like everyone else, I am excited that the new season is here. It feels like an exciting time for the sport with IMG, the new broadcast deals and all the positivity that currently surrounds our great sport. However, from a player's perspective, I have concerns about some of the developments we are seeing in our sport and from speaking to other players I know they feel the same.

This season, we are seeing more changes to the rules. We are speeding up the ruck, policing correct play the balls and having harsher punishments for high tackles. Rules, I think you could argue, are in proportion and will improve the game, but from next year the recommendation is that at all levels of the game, players will have to tackle on or below armpit height. If this is followed through, players across the game, including Super League and the Championship, will have to completely change their tackle technique, which will in turn alter the look of the sport for spectators.

We will also be playing to a completely different set of rules than those in force in Australia and New Zealand, and my understanding is that the NRL has no intention of following us. The NRL clubs and players believe that their current rules on tackle height (and therefore tackle technique and game management) work perfectly well and show the sport off in the best possible light. Consequently, if the RFL recommendations are followed through, we would have to revert back to the present rules for international and World Club Challenge matches, placing us at a serious disadvantage.

At the end of the day, the last thing players want is to put themselves at unnecessary, serious risk of injury, but the sport’s biggest stakeholders are the players, and they need to form a collective view and voice their opinion. In Australia, the NRL would not consider making changes of this nature without first consulting the players’ union, the RLPA, which is run by the players for the players. On the 2019 Great Britain tour, the RLPA Chief Executive, Clint Newton, came and spoke passionately to the GB players about setting up a union similar to theirs. He showed us what needed to be done and while it was never followed through, the blueprint is there and is available to us.

Every other major sport has a strong players’ union and you only have to look at what the RLPA managed to achieve last year for NRL players with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, to see the benefits they bring, not only for the players but for the sport as a whole. Our players can currently join the GMB Union, but the GMB is not rugby league-specific, and there is an understandable lack of buy-in and the fact that the GMB is not controlled by the players for the players in the same way that the RLPA is. Our players become frustrated when they have strong views on certain issues that would benefit the game but have no proper forum at which to debate them and form a collective opinion.

Player welfare is a buzzword in our sport, but what will be said if the international game is played to a different set of rules next year when England are due to tour Australia? Is player welfare only a priority at domestic but not international level? As players, we have always been committed to the sport, and the proof is there. We do more than our fair share, so I think the least we deserve is more input and a voice when the game is making significant changes. After all, we, as much as anyone else, want to see our game prosper.

Look, there are some fantastic people within the RFL and I’d like to think that on the whole, there is a genuine care for players and their well-being. There is the RL Cares, who are both genuine and brilliant in what they do. I have so much respect for a lot of people within the governing body, but until we, as players, can sit down and discuss where the game has come from and where it is going, there is a problem, and that is my main point: decisions are being made without proper player input.

I have played the game for many years. I have had a double neck fracture, twelve-plus operations, and plenty of injuries, so I believe that I and many other players like me are well placed to form a considered view and comment on player welfare. But player welfare is not just about brain damage; there's so much more involved from both a physical and non-physical point and I believe that if we can work together, there are so many positive changes we can make.

I am at an age where I am probably not going to benefit from a strong player's union akin to the RLPA, but I do care about younger players within the game. The likes of George Delaney, Morgan Knowles and Jack Welsby at my club, St Helens, are players who would benefit from having a strong union and an input into the future development of the sport, which is why I feel it is important to speak out.

Ultimately, we all want the game to be safe, to grow and to be successful. The sport is reliant on the players and as we embark on this exciting new dawn for rugby league, if we are given the input that we deserve, we can talk about each and every aspect of player welfare and together help our game prosper for generations to come.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-28660188
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
lucky 13

Re: Alex Walmsley's passionate player's union plea following Super League tackle rule changes

Post by lucky 13 »

Spot on and well done to him the direction of the game especially from a player welfare point of view should have players input heavily involved.
I also imagine they will have as much a vested interest as anyone as to how the game needs to improve in player profile and development.
Surly some ex player or official is equipped to get the ball rolling and maybe a playing representative from each club should be put forward to get the ball rolling.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
morley pie eater

Re: Alex Walmsley's passionate player's union plea following Super League tackle rule changes

Post by morley pie eater »

As a 16 year old, I bought my first motor bike. I rode everywhere pretty much as fast as I could go. I had little sense of danger. When the compulsory crash helmet law came in, I was dead against it.

I'm now 72 and still have a bike and ride regularly. I won't set off without helmet, gloves, armoured jacket, leather trousers with knee and hip armour, plus boots.

Though I'm all in favour of a player's union, I'm sure that Walmesley represents the sort of view I had at his age. But common sense must prevail. However much we love Rugby League, player welfare must inform changes in the rules.

If Walmesley gets early-onset dementia when he's 50, he'll be consulting a solicitor to sue the RFL for damages.

A balanced point of view is needed.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:14 pm As a 16 year old, I bought my first motor bike. I rode everywhere pretty much as fast as I could go. I had little sense of danger. When the compulsory crash helmet law came in, I was dead against it.

I'm now 72 and still have a bike and ride regularly. I won't set off without helmet, gloves, armoured jacket, leather trousers with knee and hip armour, plus boots.

Though I'm all in favour of a player's union, I'm sure that Walmesley represents the sort of view I had at his age. But common sense must prevail. However much we love Rugby League, player welfare must inform changes in the rules.

If Walmesley gets early-onset dementia when he's 50, he'll be consulting a solicitor to sue the RFL for damages.

A balanced point of view is needed.
Well said 👏👏👏
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

A strong players union is a great idea. It should contain current and former players and as such be able to balance the views of those who've had adverse health outcomes with those who did not. A strong player voice should be at the table for any decisions about the game, not just player safety.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Mike wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:07 pm A strong players union is a great idea. It should contain current and former players and as such be able to balance the views of those who've had adverse health outcomes with those who did not. A strong player voice should be at the table for any decisions about the game, not just player safety.
What was Wilkin the player representative for? Thought he was some sort of union rep when he was playing?

As with most things i think there has to be a balanced debate, but agree that current and former players need to be involved, certainly in regards to current safety and post playing health. If you think about the number of players who may struggle to walk (ops and injections) v number of head related health issues, its probably not even close in terms of numbers, but the focus seems to be on the head as the outcome can often be far more severe
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Thought Gareth Carvell also tried to do something similar, a players union? Was that with Jon Wilkin?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:07 am Thought Gareth Carvell also tried to do something similar, a players union? Was that with Jon Wilkin?
I think that Garreth Carvell (a Morley lad, like Stevie Ward) was representative for the players' union run by the GMB. Not sure what happened to it.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:07 am Thought Gareth Carvell also tried to do something similar, a players union? Was that with Jon Wilkin?
I think that Garreth Carvell (a Morley lad, like Stevie Ward) was representative for the players' union run by the GMB. Not sure what happened to it.
From what i've read over the last couple of days, since the Walmsley article, they are still in the GMB, but not represented as players / not a players union. So reading between the lines, they'll get support in areas that a union would generally support their members, but i dont think they'd get recognition if they wanted to strike