Hull KR is in talks to sign Jared Waerea-Hargreaves with NRL departure confirmed

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Hull KR is in talks to sign Jared Waerea-Hargreaves with NRL departure confirmed

Post by josie andrews »

Hull KR are plotting an eye-catching move for one of rugby league's best-known names.

Hull KR are in talks with three-time NRL champion Jared Waerea-Hargreaves over an astonishing move to the club. Waerea-Hargreaves, the current New Zealand international, will leave Sydney Roosters at the end of the season and he is set to continue his career in Super League next year.

The Roosters have confirmed that Waerea-Hargreaves will leave the club at the end of the season, with the forward confirming "a new chapter" awaits him next year. The 2024 season will bring the curtain down on a legendary 15-year career with the club. During his time there, he has made 292 appearances. That has included four Grand Final appearances, of which he has won three

His availability has become apparent to a number of clubs in the UK and Rovers are understood to be among those that have pursued a deal for one of rugby league's household names. Waerea-Hargreaves has been linked with a move to Super League previously, with Catalans Dragons strongly credited with interest.

Waerea-Hargreaves is one of the great props of the last decade. He has made 33 appearances for the Kiwis and has been a mainstay in the NRL. Now, however, he is set for a stint in Super League. The forward will be 36 by the time he arrives and he is expected to sign a short-term contract in Super League.

Despite his advancing years, the acquisition of a player with such stature in the game would be a huge coup for Rovers as they look to break the glass ceiling and finally secure the silverware the club has craved. He remains a regular for the Roosters and has played a minimum of 18 games in each of the last seven seasons. Beyond anything, it would be his experience winning in the biggest games that would prove most valuable to Rovers as they look to establish themselves as an elite club within Super League.

Rovers have developed a reputation for getting their recruitment business done early, so seeing them linked with additions for 2025 at this stage of the year comes as no surprise. And while Willie Peters has made it clear he is keen to add a new forward to his pack for this season, the addition of a new major forward for next season is also thought to be part of their long-term recruitment plans. Of course, an existing quota player would need to depart if he was brought into Craven Park.

Confirming his Roosters departure, Waerea-Hargreaves said in a statement: "The Sydney Roosters have been my home, my family, and my passion for many years, and it is not going to be easy to say goodbye to a club that is such a big part of who I am But there’s a new chapter waiting for me next year.

"I want you all to know just one thing: my commitment to the Sydney Roosters for this final season is unwavering. I am fully dedicated to giving my all on the field, fighting for every try, every tackle, and every victory alongside my teammates. I am determined to make this season one to remember, leaving everything I have on the field for the Red, White, and Blue."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... es-9111076
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Hull KR is in talks to sign Jared Waerea-Hargreaves with NRL departure confirmed

Post by josie andrews »

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves: Hull KR sign Sydney Roosters prop for 2025 season

Hull KR have agreed a one-year deal with Sydney Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves for the 2025 season.

The 35-year-old has won three NRL Grand Finals with the Roosters and needs to play 15 more games to become the club's record appearance-maker.

The move to east Hull will see him work alongside former New Zealand team-mate Shaun Kenny-Dowall, who is on the Robins' coaching staff.

"Shaun's spoken highly about the club," Waerea-Hargreaves said.

"And [of] the people within the club. It's obviously been a part of what I wanted to do, coming towards the back end of my career, it's exciting," he told BBC Radio Humberside.

Linking up with his self-confessed best mate, who made a massive impact at Rovers as a player before his retirement at the end of last season, is a major incentive for the veteran front-rower to bring his family to East Yorkshire.

"We've got the respect for what we've done in the game either together or at other clubs, we've known each other long enough," Waerea-Hargreaves added.

"To be on the other side of the world in England with one of your best mates and your wife and kids there - it's pretty special to be able to go to a place like Hull, to a special club and try to do some special things."
Waerea-Hargreaves will miss the start of the forthcoming NRL season after being hit with a seven-match ban for a high tackle last August.

Hull KR started their 2024 campaign off with a thumping 22-0 win over cross-city rivals Hull FC last week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/68363164
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: Hull KR is in talks to sign Jared Waerea-Hargreaves with NRL departure confirmed

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It will be great to see one of the great NRL props plying his trade in SL.
bertina

Post by bertina »

He will be 36 years old. Typical end of career payday/holiday.
Been a great player, but at that age HKR are welcome to him.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

A great character and a player that will liven up super league. I'd have like to have signed him last season or even this one at a push but I think next season will be one too far. Well done to HKR but I think he'll have huge discipline problems over here given the 'new criteria'.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't see why. The 'new criteria', as you put it, apply in the NRL too. And they even have a couple of extra new rules there which we don't (yet).
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

moto748 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:16 pm I don't see why. The 'new criteria', as you put it, apply in the NRL too. And they even have a couple of extra new rules there which we don't (yet).
At the minute the new criteria doesnt apply to the NRL hence we are playing you can knock each others blocks off on Saturday night

I stand to be corrected but the NRL isnt being sued by former players, havent had insurance companies all over them and thus at the minute arent adopting the tackle below the armpit approach that we will have