Matt Peet provides fitness update ahead of World Club Challenge with Luke Thompson replacement named

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matt Peet provides fitness update ahead of World Club Challenge with Luke Thompson replacement named

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors head coach Matt Peet has provided a fitness update on his squad ahead of the World Club Challenge against Penrith Panthers.

Kruise Leeming will fight through the pain barrier to feature on Saturday evening at a sold-out DW Stadium, says coach Peet.

The 28-year-old hooker made his Wigan Warriors debut from the interchange bench against Castleford Tigers in Super League round one, crossing for a try in the 32-4 victory.

He was treated for an ankle injury at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle in the second half, but remained on the field to score his four-pointer, chasing a kick from Abbas Miski.

"Other than Luke Thompson, we’re all good,” Peet said. “It will be the same [21-man] squad.

"Kruise will play. His ankle is sore, but he’ll be all right.

"Players at these kind of clubs want to play in big games, so there’s no surprises.”

Meanwhile, rising forward Harvie Hill, 20, will take Thompson’s spot in the match day 17, says Peet.

Thompson, 28, has been ruled out of the clash due to failing his head injury assessment against Craig Lingard’s Tigers.

"Harvie Hill will play,” Peet said.

"We think a lot of him, he played around 10 or 12 games last year.

"People have noticed the front-rowers that we’ve recruited in the off-season, and the way things have turned out, we turn to one of our homegrown players, which is brilliant.

"It’s an exciting opportunity for him.

"It’s sad for Luke and for Sam Walters, but it’s good to see the next one off the rank.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ed-4526732
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Matt Peet provides fitness update ahead of World Club Challenge with Luke Thompson replacement named

Post by josie andrews »

Jack Cole: Penrith Panthers boss confirms youngster to partner Nathan Cleary in halves for World Club Challenge

Penrith Panthers youngster Jack Cole will partner NRL superstar Nathan Cleary in the halves for this weekend’s World Club Challenge fixture.

Head coach Ivan Cleary confirmed to media during a press conference on Tuesday that the 20-year-old will play against Wigan Warriors following an impressive pre-season.

Born in Orange, Cole was promoted to Penrith's top 30 squad last year having progressed through the club's pathway system, playing for the premiership-winning Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup teams.

He made his NRL debut in 2022 against North Queensland Cowboys in round 25 - his only appearance to date in the top flight.

“Jack Cole is going to play,” boss Cleary said.

“He’s shown plenty of promise and has had a great pre-season and gets his opportunity on just about the biggest stage, so I’m looking forward to seeing how he goes.

“I’m sure he’ll do well.”

Cole, who is contracted until the end of the 2026 season, landed in Manchester alongside his Panthers team-mates on Saturday.

The NRL champions began their preparations at Manchester City’s £200m training facilities on Monday, and faced Sam Burgess’ Warrington Wolves in an opposed training session at the Halliwell Jones Stadium on Tuesday.

“I’m enjoying it, it’s a new experience and it’s pretty cool seeing a new part of the world,” Cole said.

We trained Monday morning at Manchester City, it was really cool.

“We had a little meeting beforehand and there’s 16 fields just for training, and half of those are just for goalkeepers, which is pretty nuts.”

Cole, who was named Jersey Flegg Cup (under-21s) player of the year in 2022, is set to line-up with some of the NRL’s biggest names in team-mates Cleary, Golden Boot winner James Fisher-Harris and Australia international Dylan Edwards for this weekend’s World Club Challenge.

Penrith have never won one, we’re 0-3. It’s going to be one of the biggest moments of my life,” he said.

“I’ve played one NRL game, so it’ll be cool to play with all these boys and how high profile they are.

“It’s going to be an unreal experience.

“It will be a massive moment for me. I’ve worked pretty hard to get here and I’m grateful for the opportunity.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ge-4526761
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan