Patrick Mago: Off-field improvements impacting on-field performances for Wigan Warriors prop

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Patrick Mago: Off-field improvements impacting on-field performances for Wigan Warriors prop

Post by josie andrews »

Having continued his form from last year into Super League round one, Patrick Mago says knuckling down on his off-field lifestyle has helped with his on-field performances.

Mago found his best form for the Cherry & Whites midway through the 2023 campaign, rewarded with a contract extension for the 2024 season.

And after crossing in the 40-0 pre-season friendly win over Hull FC, Mago continued his try-scoring form with another four-pointer against Castleford Tigers live on the BBC.

The 29-year-old prop forward opened Wigan’s account at The Mend-A-Hose Jungle, grounding a grubber kick from debutant Kruise Leeming, who featured from the interchange bench.

Mago said: “I didn’t really score much last year, I think maybe twice towards the end of the year. It’s good to get a try in the first game back - straight off the nudie!

“I'm enjoying my footy at the minute. We had a long pre-season, a tough one which was good. I think some of that we needed coming into round one.

“Everyone has missed playing, it was enjoyable, especially to get the two points and in that weather.”

Mago admits he has concentrated on his diet away from the playing field, which has seen him establish himself as a powerhouse from the bench for the Warriors.

“I’ve started to enjoy my footy a bit more and getting the off-field things right,” he explained.

“I knuckled down on that and tried doing the best I can off-field to try and transfer that over to the field.

“To kick on from last year, it’s a long season ahead and I don’t want to jinx myself too early, but if I can keep doing the little things right and be consistent, that’s my job in the team and that’s what I need to do.

“I go to church now too on Sundays. I was born into a church and then I went away from it. But I’ve gone back to it.

“The off-field stuff I needed to get right and I’ve now got to keep doing what I’m doing. I need to progress and get better.”

The tough contest in round one, resulting in a 32-4 victory for the reigning champions, tees Wigan up for Saturday’s much-anticipated clash with NRL champions Penrith Panthers.

Ivan Cleary’s outfit landed in Manchester over the weekend, and were special guests at the Etihad Stadium as Pep Guardiola’s side drew 1-1 with Chelsea in the Premier League.

The NRL three-peat history-makers have linked up with the 2023/23 treble winners ahead of the World Club Challenge, invited to train on their £200m City campus facilities during their preparations.

“They’ve been the best in the NRL for years now and they're going to bring a whole different new game, and we’ve got to do the same,” Mago said, having featured for North Queensland Cowboys, Brisbane Broncos and South Sydney Rabbitohs down under.

“We know what they’re good at and what they’re going to bring. We need to focus on ourselves and play the best footy we can and I think we can match up against them.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... op-4527081
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
endoman

Re: Patrick Mago: Off-field improvements impacting on-field performances for Wigan Warriors prop

Post by endoman »

The steps he put on at Hull and cas were awesome. He looks so much fitter. Like having a new signing. Well done Paddy.
NICKYKISS

Re: Patrick Mago: Off-field improvements impacting on-field performances for Wigan Warriors prop

Post by NICKYKISS »

It’s testament to how he’s started that I was thinking earlier about what sort of side we’d put out if everyone were fit and presuming we’d get 2 props plus Ellis in the starting line up and likely 3 on the bench (at most and maybe just 2). He wasn’t even in my thinking as one to leave out, in fact he’d be right toward the top of my list for first pick. Full credit to him and the staff for the turnaround in his commitment and form. I think there’s more to come get as well.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Paddy has certainly turned things around.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Absolutely he has. Let's hope he maintains his form and stays injury-free.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Fair play to him. Massive upturn in performance towards the back end of last year and rightly got a contract extension

I saw him in Total Fitness pre-season and he looked trim, and the work / focus on food has certainly paid off

Now, hopefully he can maintain this form / focus, and if he does i'd be more than happy for a contract extension (likely that Cooper on his last season) and him being an impact forward, but able to put in some good minutes when required like he did on Saturday (probably most he's been on the pitch in 2 years he's been here)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Move him to stand off if french is out! He put on some great steps and passes last week.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Interesting that he mentions church, like he's on the straight and narrow path again. Good for him.

It makes me think of the many Christian players we've had, such as Inga, Billy Whizz, Bill Ashurst, Shaun Edwards. I'm sure that the direction from their faith helped some, at least, to be better players.

Looking forward to an outstanding season from "Paddy Magoo".
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:12 am Interesting that he mentions church, like he's on the straight and narrow path again. Good for him.

It makes me think of the many Christian players we've had, such as Inga, Billy Whizz, Bill Ashurst, Shaun Edwards. I'm sure that the direction from their faith helped some, at least, to be better players.

Looking forward to an outstanding season from "Paddy Magoo".
It is interesting that some people do seem to need religion to help them focus.

What that says about them is for another discussion.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think we are always as fans a little frustrated by certain players, it's plain to see how talented they are but they need something or someone to unlock that. Jason Robinson was dropped at one point his life was in turmoil and then he found Inga and his beliefs and well the rests history.
While I can not find that myself it definitely helps some people.
I'm so happy for Paddy it's obvious everything is in there for the prop we all want to see. I think he's now got the environment off field, coaches, teammates, fitness and obviously fans who have always wanted him to kick on and achieve his potential. I really hope he can keep on his present path as it seems a very good one for him and us.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!