Steve McNamara: Catalans Dragons head coach signs two-year contract extension

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Steve McNamara: Catalans Dragons head coach signs two-year contract extension

Post by josie andrews »

Head coach Steve McNamara has signed a new two-year contract extension with last season's Super League runners-up Catalans Dragons.

The 52-year-old won the Dragons' first silverware in lifting the 2018 Challenge Cup with victory over Warrington at Wembley.

Hull-born McNamara has also turned Catalans into play-off regulars, reaching Grand Finals in 2021 and 2023.
"It was a simple decision for me to stay at the Dragons," McNamara said.

McNamara has a close relationship with owner Bernard Guasch and they have taken Catalans from a club almost relegated in 2017 to one in the conversation for honours.

"His ambition and commitment to continually improve our organisation is in line with my own ideas," McNamara added.

"The players and staff are also fully invested and I look forward to working alongside everyone to give ourselves every opportunity to be successful."

"Serenity"

The former Bradford and England head coach helped attract world-class talent to Perpignan, such as now-retired superstar Sam Tomkins, and former State of Origin player Mitchell Pearce.

Top English players such as Tom Johnstone and Mike McMeeken have also been blended with emerging French talent such as Arthur Mourgue, Cesar Rouge and Paul Seguier.

"What Steve McNamara has achieved since his arrival at the club in 2017 is remarkable," Guasch added. "He brought his knowledge, professionalism, and above all, the serenity that the club needed after some difficult years.

"He has been able to recruit and integrate young French players who represent the values of the club. The Dragons are now among the great clubs of the Super League, and we want to continue structuring the club to reach a next step."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/68363702
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Steve McNamara: Catalans Dragons head coach signs two-year contract extension

Post by the pieman »

i saw a headline for this yesterday evening and a picture with Wellens on it - i immediately questioned the term "Elite Coach"

Good for McNamara getting another 2 years in the sun, he now needs to deliver some silverware for Catalan to make it successful
josie andrews

Re: Steve McNamara: Catalans Dragons head coach signs two-year contract extension

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:25 am i saw a headline for this yesterday evening and a picture with Wellens on it - i immediately questioned the term "Elite Coach"

Good for McNamara getting another 2 years in the sun, he now needs to deliver some silverware for Catalan to make it successful
He has won the Challenge Cup with the Dragons ๐Ÿ˜Š
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:18 am
the pieman wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:25 am i saw a headline for this yesterday evening and a picture with Wellens on it - i immediately questioned the term "Elite Coach"

True he has, but he's a coach that i think has had opportunities above his ability (personal opinion) and at Catalan he has had some fantastic players available to him (and still does). Can he deliver the trophies consistently or is he going to continue to underperform (depending on peoples opinion of him)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:02 pm

True he has, but he's a coach that i think has had opportunities above his ability (personal opinion) and at Catalan he has had some fantastic players available to him (and still does). Can he deliver the trophies consistently or is he going to continue to underperform (depending on peoples opinion of him)
I agree with your opinion of him. Heโ€™s been very lucky to get the opportunities he has had
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I agree with your opinion of him. Heโ€™s been very lucky to get the opportunities he has had
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

You think heโ€™s under performed at Catalans?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: โ†‘Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:30 pm

You think heโ€™s under performed at Catalans?
Yes, but i'm going to contradict myself a bit as i dont rate him, but obviously others do with the jobs he's had. i dont think he's good enough for the job, and if he was they would have won more silverware

at Catalan they have a favourable salary cap and dispensation for overseas players. He's had and still does have some fantastic players at his disposal but not been able to convert them into serial winners