NRL Possibly to buy the Super League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
moto748

Re: NRL Possibly to buy the Super League

Post by moto748 »

Mike wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:47 pm This proposal is basically putting SL in the category of a feeder league to the NRL. They don't even have the guts to come and play us because we've got a damn good chance of beating them.
This. It's massively insulting, although, as I said upthread, I wonder if NRL coaches would really want this, and if it's mostly just newspaper talk.
PJC

Rumoured NRL buyout

Post by PJC »

The website “Love Rugby League “ and also clips on YouTube cover a possible NRL purchase of Superleague. It could be a rumour that hopefully never takes off.
One proposal is that we revert to winter. It would mean our players could be freed to spend time in Australia. We would become a nursery for the Australian game.
That’s not the only concern by far .
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The proposal to switch to winter rugby should be killed off before it is even proposed!

The idea is just so awful! If our season were to start in September and finish in May then we'd have five months or more with games being played on pitches like we saw at Cas and Wire recently.
Players would be playing on almost muddy ploughed up fields.
We'd be going back to the day when pitches were that muddy players had to change their shirts at half time.
Winter rugby is as daft as idea as there could be.
Two chances of winter rugby. Fat chance and no chance!

If the NRL did take over SL it would be interesting to see the amount of salary cap if we had one at all!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Of course this. And, there's the further problem of accommodating rugby matches during the football season. No way on earth that is feasible.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:02 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:47 pm This proposal is basically putting SL in the category of a feeder league to the NRL. They don't even have the guts to come and play us because we've got a damn good chance of beating them.
This. It's massively insulting, although, as I said upthread, I wonder if NRL coaches would really want this, and if it's mostly just newspaper talk.
Well Fletcher said this in the quoted article:

“ Johns was challenged by Fletcher, who believes NRL clubs wouldn't release their star players to go and play in England. However, he sees potential in Super League's brightest talents playing some part in the NRL. "I like the idea of them coming here, but I can't see a club letting a gun go over. I think it would be too dangerous for them," Fletcher said.”

So they wouldn’t send their stars here but we would send ours there. I fail to see what is in this for SL or SL fans. The only way this works is if we have NRL star players coming the other way and as you say I can’t see NRL coaches wanting that.

The idea Smith or someone like him would benefit from an off season is not proven as far as i am concerned. Not in todays full time game where players get little rest as it is.

As to a return to winter to facilitate any of this, I have thought for a long time the move to summer killed the international game putting paid to proper tours. However I think that ship has sailed and even going back to winter even if it was just to revitalise the international game never mind turning SL into a feeder league would be a nonstarter.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The Aussies aren’t interested in international games!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

RL Commercual chief breaks silence on potential NRL buyout of SL & why Las Vegas could host the World Club Challenge

LAST WEEK, a story hit the news that the NRL was planning an audacious bid to take over the Super League competition.

Speaking on SEN League, rugby league veteran Matty Johns said: “The rumour I’m hearing, and it’s getting stronger, is that the NRL are seriously looking to possibly buy the English Rugby League.

“They have to do that, and they should move it back in England to being a winter sport. That way, it broadens the base and adds to the depth of both competitions.”

That set tongues wagging on both sides of the world, but RL Commercial’s Managing Director, Rhodri Jones, has poured cold water on the speculation.

“I don’t actually know, it’s nothing to do with me that story. I got a text like a lot of people that said ‘have you seen this?’ and I was shocked,” Jones said on The League Express podcast.

“I watched the Matty Johns podcast and wondered where he got that from. It’s news to us and we are not entirely sure where it’s come from.

“I’m sure it will get mentioned in Las Vegas and we might see where the source is. We have engagement with the NRL and we will see them this week in Vegas but we haven’t had engagement in those terms.”

But, there is the potential to take the World Club Challenge to Las Vegas in the future, with Jones meeting with ARCL chief Peter V’landys in the USA ahead of the NRL’s historic double-header.

“It’s quite interesting, in the build-up to the World Club Challenge, we were talking about having the World Club Challenge in the Las Vegas weekend now knowing that the deal is for five years rather than a one-year hit,” said Jones.

“I think we were probably two months too late for this year when we got round the table with Penrith and Wigan. The question was asked but the NRL had committed to the double-header.

“But, the talk pre-World Club Challenge had been wouldn’t it be great for this game to be in Vegas? Not many people were saying this was a terrible idea and then Peter V’landys (ARCL chief) said that it would be great if we could see it in Vegas – that wasn’t coordinated.

“Do I think it’s a possibility? I do. I don’t know how much of a possibility it will be at this point but this week there will be conversations about it.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It’s okay the NRL saying play it in Las Vegas, they have more money than SL.

Also people over here don’t earn anywhere like they do in Australia, we are going through a recession. I would think majority of English fans wouldn’t be able to attend these games played there. IMO
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Super League chiefs heading to Las Vegas for NRL opener to explore opportunities

Rugby League Commercial chief Rhodri Jones and Matt Dwyer are bound for Las Vegas this weekend to strengthen ties between Super League and the NRL as they prepare for their blockbuster season-opener in the United States.

The competition will kick off its 2024 campaign with a bang, with two headline games featuring Manly Sea Eagles, Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs and Brisbane Broncos. And senior officials from the English game will be there on a fact-finding mission: and also to develop the relationship between the two elite competitions.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/su ... ortunities
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:07 am Super League chiefs heading to Las Vegas for NRL opener to explore opportunities

Rugby League Commercial chief Rhodri Jones and Matt Dwyer are bound for Las Vegas this weekend to strengthen ties between Super League and the NRL as they prepare for their blockbuster season-opener in the United States.

The competition will kick off its 2024 campaign with a bang, with two headline games featuring Manly Sea Eagles, Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs and Brisbane Broncos. And senior officials from the English game will be there on a fact-finding mission: and also to develop the relationship between the two elite competitions.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/su ... ortunities
So basically, the RFL are on a jolly to Vegas to 'strenghten ties' between the two comps, I'm sure the NRL can't wait to Strengthen with SL which has a tenth of the revenue and income than the NRL