NRL Possibly to buy the Super League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Ipinwigan

NRL Possibly to buy the Super League

Post by Ipinwigan »

Just read a storey suggesting that the NRL are looking at buying the Super League and returning it to winter rugby.
The suggestion is that NRL players can "help us out" and do a stint here, like Brett Kenny, Gene Miles etc. did years ago and our stars, like Jack Welsby, can try out their ambitions to play in the NRL.
This is coming from a league that seems to think, it's a far superior product to our league.
My thought's on a return to winter, is that we end up with a product that will be nowhere as thrilling to watch as it is in summer, when players like Field and French can truly show their ability.
A return to muddy slog fests.
Can you imagine what the DW pitch would be like with Athletic and Warriors playing week after week on it.
moto748

Re: NRL Possibly to buy the Super League

Post by moto748 »

Can't see that NRL coaches would want that. To have their players playing all year round, risking injury before the start of the NRL season? I don't think so.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I wouldn't be against them taking a minority stake at a good valuation. It could get them more involved in the international development side of the game if they've got skin in the game.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Matty Johns makes winter plea as NRL rumours of buying Super League continue

Johns believes the British game should move back to winter.

Matty Johns has declared that the NRL are looking to buy the Super League competition. There have been rumours, and in some parts, even a desired fantasy, about the Australian powerhouse purchasing the English game, but Johns, a well-known media figure in Australia, has stated those rumours are getting 'stronger.'

The NRL is now a billion-dollar organisation, overtaking Aussie Rules Football to become the biggest sport in Australia. Featuring a total of 17 clubs, it is getting stronger by the year, with a growing belief they are looking to purchase the Super League, which has run since 1996 when the British game moved to summer.

Johns went on to suggest that British rugby league should move back to winter, allowing for the reintroduction of cross-competition deals, with the most famous of those being the likes of Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Phil Lowe, Ellery Hanley, etc.

Speaking on SEN League, which also features former NRL player Bryan Fletcher, Johns said: "The rumour I'm hearing boys, and it's getting stronger, and it's that the NRL are seriously looking to possibly buy the English Rugby League.

They have to do that, and they should move it back in England to being a winter sport. That way, it broadens the base and adds to the depth of both competitions. Players can go over and have guest stints and things like that. One of the things that really helped the game over there was guys like Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Phil Blake, going and having those short stints with Wigan, Leeds, Castleford, and whatnot, they really miss that over there."

Johns was challenged by Fletcher, who believes NRL clubs wouldn't release their star players to go and play in England. However, he sees potential in Super League's brightest talents playing some part in the NRL. "I like the idea of them coming here, but I can't see a club letting a gun go over. I think it would be too dangerous for them," Fletcher said.

Meanwhile, Johns went on to suggest the move to winter would also be a way to fight off rugby union, who have poached some of league's biggest names over the years like Israel Folau, Sonny Bill Williams, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (now back in rugby league), and Joseph Sua'ali'i, who has signed with Rugby Australia from 2025.

"Let's imagine that the Roosters are faced with a scenario: we allow Joey Manu to go to French rugby or we let him go have a stint at Castleford," Johns explained. "It's an opportunity for players to really optimise their income while they're in the game.

"It helps the English game twofold in the fact that Wigan, etc, send their players here to have guest stints, whether it's half a season or four or five games, but the other thing why it helps them is that guys like Jack Welsby can get there NRL fix, come out and prove themselves, but still be part of the English competition, as opposed to having to make the complete change."

Johns also believes cross-competition deals would be beneficial for young emerging NRL players, using young Penrith Panthers half Jack Cole, who is set to start in Saturday's World Club Challenge against Wigan, as an example

He added: "You have a look at the Penrith side, and all those terrific young blokes that they've got coming through the grades, young Jack Cole, a player like that, Penrith could go, and a bit like Harry Grant at Melbourne, 'We haven't got the spot for you right now, but we know you're going to make it' and he goes to Wests Tigers, well, that's where you could send them over to Wigan or Saints or Warrington. It would lift the standard of their game over there."

https://newsletters.e.leeds-live.co.uk/ ... D=lXo6Uswf
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why don’t they move THEIR GAME to Winter? Which aren’t has harsh in Australia as what we have to endure here.

When Super League moved to “Summer Rugby" the first game I think was on the 29th March 1996, now we are playing in January! So we still play several games in Winter! 🥶
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:51 pm Why don’t they move THEIR GAME to Winter? Which aren’t has harsh in Australia as what we have to endure here.

When Super League moved to “Summer Rugby" the first game I think was on the 29th March 1996, now we are playing in January! So we still play several games in Winter! 🥶
They do. The game is played in the winter in Australia. In the summer, they're playing cricket.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:13 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:51 pm Why don’t they move THEIR GAME to Winter? Which aren’t has harsh in Australia as what we have to endure here.

They do. The game is played in the winter in Australia. In the summer, they're playing cricket.
Of course 🤪 I forgot cos it’s nothing like our winters 😂😂😳😳
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Why dont clubs just have dual registration with an NRL club, that way a player from here can go to Aus for a month or two, for the experience, a Aus player comes here either a like for like position or from a position beneficial for both clubs.

For example, say if Harry went to Aus for a month or so, we could get a prop or someone like that in return, it would give the next generation half back some game time over here to replace Harry and we could bolster a position that we have a few injuries in.

I do think John's is being a bit direspectful to our game though in the article, he just keeps saying how it would be good for our game, he forgets all the legends who went to Aus in the early days to make thier game better.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

"Let's imagine that the Roosters are faced with a scenario: we allow Joey Manu to go to French rugby or we let him go have a stint at Castleford," Johns explained. "It's an opportunity for players to really optimise their income while they're in the game.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Choosing Cas over French RU to optimise income??? Give me some of what he's on!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

This proposal is basically putting SL in the category of a feeder league to the NRL. They don't even have the guts to come and play us because we've got a damn good chance of beating them.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐