Thoughts on Head Contact

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Bob the Builder

Re: Thoughts on Head Contact

Post by Bob the Builder »

I think VR suggested red card. Isn't VR Liam Moore SL top referee and our referee tomorrow.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Bob the Builder wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:21 pm I think VR suggested red card. Isn't VR Liam Moore SL top referee and our referee tomorrow.
Our game tomorrow is supposedly being refereed under the older rules, so more goes, hopefully.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Our sport is an omnishambles if that’s a red card
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I really worry for Wigan tomorrow with Liam Moore as ref. Can't we have an Aussie ref? Pur-lease?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:16 pm Two rounds in and all the talk is about how the game is being refereed and not what great games we have just seen.
I despair.
This happens every season. The despair, the ignominy, woe, woe!

However, the refereeing gradually gets more reasonable and consistent - the refs are applying these criteria for the first time after all - and the fans get used to the new interpretations and it all settles down to feel normal.

I'm not saying there won't be terrible decisions later this season. There will be just like there are every year. But it's not the death of the game. Just like it wasn't every other year after round 2.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:50 pm I really worry for Wigan tomorrow with Liam Moore as ref. Can't we have an Aussie ref? Pur-lease?
Why? Just for what everyone thinks an English ref would do to appear non biased, you think an Aussie ref would be impartial to their own Australian side?

Don’t disrespect the referee before a ball has been kicked, it’s bad enough during & after the game.

Liam Moore is by far the best & fairest of English referees & will let the game flow as best as possible, especially when we are playing to International Rules 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

What can you do?' Tony Smith gives damning verdict on Nu Brown and Sam Powell cards in Hull FC defeat

The Black and Whites saw Nu Brown sent off in controversial circumstances, with Smith just as confused after a yellow for Wire hooker Sam Powell

Tony Smith believes rugby league has gone to "new lengths and new levels" after Hull FC's Fa'amanu Brown was sent off in Friday's 36-10 defeat at Warrington Wolves. The Kiwi started the game at hooker, but he was red-carded for an accidental head clash with Ben Currie in the first half.

Currie's head gash saw the game halted, and upon several minutes for the video official to look at the replays, Brown was sent off for the incident—to the dismay of many inside the ground, in particular Sky Sports presenter Brian Carney, who slammed the decision

Speaking post-match, Smith also thought the wrong call was made with Sam Powell's sin bin. He told Hull Live. "I've just watched the replays over and over again. Wow. Yeah. We've gone to new lengths and new levels, I suppose.

"That one and Sam Powell's sin bin—what are they looking for? I don't know. Some of those things as well, we haven't had a whole lot of time, and all of the players and the coaches understand that things have to change and why—it's just how quickly and drastically we're going with some of the punishments with it. For some of these guys, their technique has been a certain thing for 20 years, at least.

Nu's wasn't a high tackle. It was a head-to-head clash, and I think he did well to avoid clashing with his own player, and then he happened to bump heads with Ben Currie. Nu was getting flung around. It's really hard to get your footing out there, so to have solid footing, do a great tackle, and know exactly where everything was going to go at any one time was a difficult thing for all of them at different stages.

"I can't see what mistake Nu made. It may be deemed a mistake, but it seems to me a pretty severe punishment for what most would scratch their heads about really."

Asked if the sport is going too far with its crackdown on head contact, Smith said: "It seems that way. I haven't seen one like today before. That's the first one I've seen where Nu got flung around one side and had an accidental clash. That's the first time I've seen one of those head-on-head send-offs. Is it too much? The feeling seems to be that way.

"We're trying to protect their heads and concussions, but we've got to understand that we're still going to have some accidents. Sam Powell's tackle was a great example, and I'd rather talk about that one in some respects as my player, Jack Walker, slipped over and got to knee level.

What was anybody supposed to do? What can you do? There was always going to be some sort of contact down there unless you just jumped out of the road, and that's not the nature of our sport. We can't do that. We've gone to the extreme too quickly, and we haven't taken into account the period of time for changing habits and how severely you have to punish people for those habits to change.

"I'm a believer that the ten minutes in sin bins can be enough to change the outcomes of games. But not only do we sin bin them or send them off, we give them a suspension as well. The effects are happening on the game and the next two or three as well. We could be shooting ourselves in the foot.

I’m not against young guys getting thrown into Super League, but we're going to see some of them too soon. We're going to see more young teams and fewer superstars in the coming weeks unless we get a real grip on this and understand it. It's going to be tough. I'm all for protecting the player's heads, but it's how we do that. Hopefully, we'll find it soon."

Smith also revealed that Brown didn't even realise his card was red, with the player gobsmacked upon learning of his fate at half-time.

The head coach added: "He went in the changing room and he went, 'At what time do I go back out.' He thought he was sin-binned. He was gobsmacked about it and didn't realise he got a red card. He was upset and disappointed about the decision."

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ny-9121986
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams and current Hull FC players lead condemnation of Nu Brown red card

The red card issued to Nu Brown has dominated the headlines.

The rugby league community has been left in disbelief at the decision to send off Nu Brown in Hull FC's defeat to Warrington Wolves. The Black and Whites player was dismissed after an accidental head clash with Warrington Wolves forward Ben Currie, a decision that dumbfounded spectators and television viewers almost unanimously.

Players past and present couldn't help but get involved in the debate, though that's perhaps not the correct phrase, such was the unified anger at the decision to send Brown off.

"This can’t continue," was the simple message of former Hull FC player, Josh Griffin, on X. "How can you give a red card for accidental head clash?"

Another former Black and White, Chris Thorman, added: "I’ve kept my opinion to myself about some of the red and yellow cards given out in our sport recently, but that one is a joke. No way can that be a penalty, never mind a sending off."

Before the new rule changes, Brown's 'tackle', if you can call it that, wouldn't have been sent off. But players have been warned that they will be dismissed if they clash heads with a ball carrier while in their natural head space

But current Hull halfback Jake Trueman said: "Doesn’t matter how many red cards you give for accidental head contact, you’ll never stop it, they’re ruining the game for something that will never change." His teammate, Cam Scott, added: "Never one to comment on games or decisions but rest in peace rugby league because that is awful."

Even the Warrington Wolves captain, George Williams, called out the decision. "Embarrassing for our game. Players it’s time for us to unite, we need a voice within our game going forward!"

Not for the first time, rugby league's headlines are being dominated by all the wrong topics.

Rich Whiting

For the record, don’t blame the refs, don’t even blame the RFL, the new rules were a demand of the ONLY insurance company willing to insure the game

Think we all know who’s to blame for that don’t we?

https://x.com/stilts84/status/1761139848486818141?s=12
KieronC

Post by KieronC »

Mike wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:21 am
Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:16 pm Two rounds in and all the talk is about how the game is being refereed and not what great games we have just seen.
I despair.
This happens every season. The despair, the ignominy, woe, woe!

However, the refereeing gradually gets more reasonable and consistent - the refs are applying these criteria for the first time after all - and the fans get used to the new interpretations and it all settles down to feel normal.

I'm not saying there won't be terrible decisions later this season. There will be just like there are every year. But it's not the death of the game. Just like it wasn't every other year after round 2.
Mike, I think I share your thoughts here. Usually at the start of the season there's some kind of controversy and then things settle down. I imagine there will always be bad decisions no matter what the rules are. Personally, at least night, I thought some of the TV people enjoyed the outrage to an extent.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:43 am George Williams and current Hull FC players lead condemnation of Nu Brown red card

The red card issued to Nu Brown has dominated the headlines.

The rugby league community has been left in disbelief at the decision to send off Nu Brown in Hull FC's defeat to Warrington Wolves. The Black and Whites player was dismissed after an accidental head clash with Warrington Wolves forward Ben Currie, a decision that dumbfounded spectators and television viewers almost unanimously.

Players past and present couldn't help but get involved in the debate, though that's perhaps not the correct phrase, such was the unified anger at the decision to send Brown off.

"This can’t continue," was the simple message of former Hull FC player, Josh Griffin, on X. "How can you give a red card for accidental head clash?"

Another former Black and White, Chris Thorman, added: "I’ve kept my opinion to myself about some of the red and yellow cards given out in our sport recently, but that one is a joke. No way can that be a penalty, never mind a sending off."

Before the new rule changes, Brown's 'tackle', if you can call it that, wouldn't have been sent off. But players have been warned that they will be dismissed if they clash heads with a ball carrier while in their natural head space

But current Hull halfback Jake Trueman said: "Doesn’t matter how many red cards you give for accidental head contact, you’ll never stop it, they’re ruining the game for something that will never change." His teammate, Cam Scott, added: "Never one to comment on games or decisions but rest in peace rugby league because that is awful."

Even the Warrington Wolves captain, George Williams, called out the decision. "Embarrassing for our game. Players it’s time for us to unite, we need a voice within our game going forward!"

Not for the first time, rugby league's headlines are being dominated by all the wrong topics.

Rich Whiting

For the record, don’t blame the refs, don’t even blame the RFL, the new rules were a demand of the ONLY insurance company willing to insure the game

Think we all know who’s to blame for that don’t we?

I think this is the first time so many players are becoming involved in the argument about the way the game is going.
We fans can complain as much as we want, but until the game is changed from within, by the players and coaches, then nothing will happen.
I take on board other comments that things happen in early rounds, then ease off, but I don't believe that will be the case this time, unless the players demand the changes.
As we stand it's going to be really sad to see so many players missing because of ridiculous bans.