Nathan Cleary's huge praise for Harry Smith as pair prepare for first-ever showdown

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Nathan Cleary's huge praise for Harry Smith as pair prepare for first-ever showdown

Post by josie andrews »

Cleary's Penrith Panthers battle Wigan Warriors in the World Club Challenge this weekend.

He might be the best on the planet, but Nathan Cleary is enthused by the opportunity to go head-to-head with Harry Smith. The two halfbacks will clash in Saturday's World Club Challenge, with Cleary's Penrith Panthers looking to create history by securing the title for a first time.

Smith's involvement in the clash is a subject of controversy after he avoided suspension for a tip tackle. But the news was welcomed by Cleary, who admitted to being an admirer from afar of the England halfback.

Cleary is a regular watcher of Super League and has developed an appreciation for Smith's talents. Penrith's trip to the UK gives Cleary a career-first opportunity to go against Smith, and the Australian ace, convinced Smith would make it in the NRL, is preparing for a tactical battle with the 24-year-old.

I enjoy the way they play," Cleary told Rugby League Live. "They're an electric side and Harry Smith controls it well with his kicking game; he's got a great temperament about him.

I think that's what you want out of a halfback—someone who can control the game with their kicking. He's still young and in the games I've watched, he's been in complete control. It's a cool test to come up against him, I'm looking forward to that challenge.

"It's cool because you don't get the opportunity to face them that often. It's cool to face different teams and leagues and see how you go. It will be fun

Compliments from the commander-in-chief of arguably the greatest side in NRL history is quite the rub for Smith, who recently signed a new deal to stay with the Super League side. But on his NRL prospects, Cleary said: "From what I've seen, for sure. He's at a young age and the kicking game in the NRL, in particular, is so important. I can see why clubs would want him."

"As soon as I saw it was sold out, I was excited. It's a great challenge, it's going to be hostile, similar to Suncorp at Origin when the whole crowd is against you. But the wins in those environments are the ones you remember the most. It poses a great challenge, I have so much admiration for English fans, not just in rugby league, but football too, how they get behind their teams.

"The feeling after last year's game against the Saints was shocking - I don't want to have that feeling again. You don't want to think too much about the result too early in the week, you've got to build through the processes, and the result will be a by-product of those

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... n-28694382
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan