NRL rule changes

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
moto748

NRL rule changes

Post by moto748 »

I post this largely in the spirit that NRL rule changes often end here too (often all to the good, in my opinion, but that's an argument for another time). Don't know how many of you guys have seen the NRL pre-season games, but these are comments I've c&p'd from what I posted on an Aussie forum:

The 'down-town' rule: is it just me, or is this a hammer to crack an egg? Seems to me it's a case of, if only the existing rules were applied. All too often, we see chasers who were in front of the kicker tackle a defending winger or full-back, and as long as the defender retains possession, play is allowed to continue with a p-t-b, when in fact the defending side should have been awarded a pen. I agree this should be clamped down on, but I don't see the need to penalise any 'down-town' players if they're not affecting play

This references the fact that any players in front of the kicker ('down-town') are penalised if they even move forward, even if they don't affect play.

Also, whilst I'm on it; the 'no jeopardy' thing with short drop-outs? Surely this is a classic of fixing a problem that didn't exist. Coaches deemed they already had sufficient advantage to attempt short drop-outs, and quite often did. With a fair degree of success. Which seemed absolutely fine. So why artificially tip the balance further to the benefit of the attacking side?

This references the fact that a short drop-out that fails to make the ten metres, or goes out on the full, will only be met with a p-t-b ten metres out in front of the sticks, rather than a penalty.

Well, that's my understanding of the current rules. Unless anyone else has another view?
Mike
Site Admin

Re: NRL rule changes

Post by Mike »

I thought if you were in front of the kicker you had to give the runner 10 metres and then you were back onside? I guess they've changed that. Cna the kicker still play everyone on? Refs seem to ignore that part of the rule these days TBH.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Re: NRL rule changes

Post by moto748 »

I think the kicker can still play everyone onside, but that doesn't happen all that often. 'Giving ten metres' is no longer sufficient, it seems. I hope we (SL) don't follow suit with this.