Wigan vs Penrith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Lazy J

Re: Wigan vs Penrith

Post by Lazy J »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:04 pm Finally able to look at the incidents at home today :)

I'm brassed off with this "biased" reffing tack we are seeing.....

General pens/6 agains for holding etc were about even.

Penrith 1st try, there was a case for Miski being taken out - surely a bias ref would have sent that to the screen if nothing else but the try was (rightly) given

Penrith 2nd try, Field briefly holds up Edwards but the ball gets to the floor but its not 100% clear, Ref sends up as a try - no evidence to change the decision so a try is awarded, a biassed ref could have sent that up as no try?

Wardle try, ref sees the ball grounded on the line but sends it up as try as its not 100% - no evidence to overturn so try is awarded.

Final try - absolutely no sign of the ball on the ground so must go up as no try, no evidence to overturn so no try can be given

And French no try - surely a bias ref sends that up as try? but it was sent up as no try....I think French may have been offside but the evidence wasn't strong so it might have been given as try by the Video Ref.
The French no try was sent up as try, but he asked the VR to check onside, but the point still stands he could have just awarded it without a check
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Back in the dim and distant past, well the 1980s before the Sky cameras, if there was a big game at Headingley my teenage sons and I would often go to stand in the South Stand to watch the game with no particular bias, other than always wanting Leeds to beat Stains, after one match as we were coming out youngest son in all innocence asked me 'why do they have better referees at Leeds'. I gently told him that they had the same referees as he saw at Wigan but here he was watching a game with no particular bias.
After that he never blamed the referees at Wigan games.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Lazy J wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:06 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:04 pm Finally able to look at the incidents at home today :)

I'm brassed off with this "biased" reffing tack we are seeing.....

General pens/6 agains for holding etc were about even.

Penrith 1st try, there was a case for Miski being taken out - surely a bias ref would have sent that to the screen if nothing else but the try was (rightly) given

Penrith 2nd try, Field briefly holds up Edwards but the ball gets to the floor but its not 100% clear, Ref sends up as a try - no evidence to change the decision so a try is awarded, a biassed ref could have sent that up as no try?

Wardle try, ref sees the ball grounded on the line but sends it up as try as its not 100% - no evidence to overturn so try is awarded.

Final try - absolutely no sign of the ball on the ground so must go up as no try, no evidence to overturn so no try can be given

And French no try - surely a bias ref sends that up as try? but it was sent up as no try....I think French may have been offside but the evidence wasn't strong so it might have been given as try by the Video Ref.
The French no try was sent up as try, but he asked the VR to check onside, but the point still stands he could have just awarded it without a check
Yeh, your right on it going up as a try - watching it back again and I'm still getting caught up in the excitement :)
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:07 pm Back in the dim and distant past, well the 1980s before the Sky cameras, if there was a big game at Headingley my teenage sons and I would often go to stand in the South Stand to watch the game with no particular bias, other than always wanting Leeds to beat Stains, after one match as we were coming out youngest son in all innocence asked me 'why do they have better referees at Leeds'. I gently told him that they had the same referees as he saw at Wigan but here he was watching a game with no particular bias.
After that he never blamed the referees at Wigan games.
Good story, I like that.

I wish more people had this outlook. Would solve the pathetic moaning about refs being bent.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

In the ground the MOTM was Harry Smith. On the BBC it was given to French. On here fans seem to have given it to Ellis. I have only been able to watch the short version on Sky Misx and there was no mention of who Sky picked, can anyone say who gave it to?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:48 pm In the ground the MOTM was Harry Smith. On the BBC it was given to French. On here fans seem to have given it to Ellis. I have only been able to watch the short version on Sky Misx and there was no mention of who Sky picked, can anyone say who gave it to?
French! He was interviewed by Jenna Brooks
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Having the misfortune of living in the borough of St H----s I have all my life had to endure all the anybody but Wiggin bias from the locals, bless em.
This morning I went to the gym with a gum shield in place, a helmet on, and ear plugs at the ready. I wasn't disappointed, first Saints fan in greets me with the usual lucky Wigan, double movement try, forward pass try, constant lying on, numerous unpunished head tackles and all the decisions in our favour off that biased ref Moore who was obviously a Wigan fan.
We were then joined by the next Saints fan who doubled on the abuse and highlighting the clear bias in Wigan's favour. Apparently Penrith didn't do any high tackles, didn't do any holding down and had a perfectly good try disallowed because you could clearly see the ball on the line, the Wardle try you could clearly see the ball wasn't on the line.
When I questioned their second try off the back of a play acting six again award which should not have been given, I was told it was an obvious six again which I suppose was in keeping with the standard Wigan had got away with for most of the match.
Last week before the Penrith game I was told by the first person that he didn't rate Jai Field, conceding he was fast but that was all. He was rubbish under the high ball, he just lets it bounce more often than not. FFS.
I said I thought the opposite suggesting he was very safe and his defensive qualities where top class, for me he is pure X factor and wouldn't want swap him for anyone.
I reminded him of this conversation this morning, referencing the tackle of the match not only saving the try but taking his man into touch as well. his reply "that's all he did".
Whilst he was on a roll he then had a go at Liam Marshall asking why does he get selected because he is rubbish. By now there is blood seeping from eye sockets, flabbergasted at that comment I said Liam is the best player in the league at bringing the ball out of defence as well as being an half decent try scorer. He wasn't having it.
Finally he can't wait for the 29th when Saints play Wigan, I don't think there's much hope for us unless we take our own biased ref with us.
Saints will be wearing a special fans tribute shirt for that match, changing from the traditional White with a Red V to GREEN with ENVY.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:16 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:05 am
medlocke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:47 pm The future looks very bright under Matty Peet and his fantastic coaching set up, long may we have success :D
But...but...jobs for the boys Meds! :shock: :lol:
I have been proved wrong so I will say no more on the matter :!:
THE END?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Surely tries from a kick are always checked for onside, and in that case, whether sent up as a try or no-try doesn't make much difference; the VR decides. It's different to a disputed grounding.
cdav

Post by cdav »

Fantastic effort from Wigan ,well deserved win. To quote Alex Murphy “Winners can laugh ,losers can

please themselves what they do “