Wigan vs Penrith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Wigan vs Penrith

Post by widdenoldboy »

moto748 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:44 pm Surely tries from a kick are always checked for onside, and in that case, whether sent up as a try or no-try doesn't make much difference; the VR decides. It's different to a disputed grounding.
FAir point Moto - I can't argue with the call but it shows again the ref and VR called it as they saw it - without bias. A biased team would have said not enough evidence to rule out the try, so it stands?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:04 pm
moto748 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:44 pm Surely tries from a kick are always checked for onside, and in that case, whether sent up as a try or no-try doesn't make much difference; the VR decides. It's different to a disputed grounding.
FAir point Moto - I can't argue with the call but it shows again the ref and VR called it as they saw it - without bias. A biased team would have said not enough evidence to rule out the try, so it stands?
Not sure you can do that on an inside/offside call. The VR can see so the "not enough evidence" thing doesn't work. That for when the VR can't see so can't change the on field decision. It's a straight VR call, which was a lot closer than Thaler gave it credit for. Im not sure he really looked where the ball was because IMO it was borderline at worst and should have gone to the attacking team. We deserved to win by more than one score at that point.

I will say there was a 5 minute spell of 4 big decisions in a row that the ref didnt so well with. iMO he got them all wrong. Started with the ball steal that was 1 on 1, then a make up call in favour of Penrith that was no way a pen, the. A bad high shot on Field that was not given and then we got a pen back that was also wrong IMO. Other than that spell the reffing seemed reasonable with the odd decision that both sides may feel a bit aggrieved about. Nothing out of the ordinary.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:00 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:04 pm
Not sure you can do that on an inside/offside call. The VR can see so the "not enough evidence" thing doesn't work. That for when the VR can't see so can't change the on field decision. It's a straight VR call, which was a lot closer than Thaler gave it credit for. Im not sure he really looked where the ball was because IMO it was borderline at worst and should have gone to the attacking team. We deserved to win by more than one score at that point.

I will say there was a 5 minute spell of 4 big decisions in a row that the ref didnt so well with. iMO he got them all wrong. Started with the ball steal that was 1 on 1, then a make up call in favour of Penrith that was no way a pen, the. A bad high shot on Field that was not given and then we got a pen back that was also wrong IMO. Other than that spell the reffing seemed reasonable with the odd decision that both sides may feel a bit aggrieved about. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Video ref was Chris Kendall Mike not Ben Thaler 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Crikey. He sounded just like thaler!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 am Crikey. He sounded just like thaler!
He’s from the same area, Yorkshire 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I got sent a picture of the French no try with a line drawn accross the pitch at the moment of Smiths kick. To me he looks just onside and certainly it was worth more than one look from the video ref.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

O’Neill: Can’t quite believe it

Brad O’Neill described the ‘special’ feeling of winning the Betfred World Club Challenge in front of a sold out DW Stadium.

O’Neill: “It’s not sunk in just yet but I’m sure it will do in a couple more days – I still can’t quite believe it.”

Watch match highlights and more reaction on Wigan TV HERE.

BRAD O’NEILL DESCRIBED THE ‘SPECIAL’ FEELING OF WINNING THE BETFRED WORLD CLUB CHALLENGE IN FRONT OF A SOLD OUT DW STADIUM.

Reflecting on Wigan’s 16-12 victory over Penrith Panthers at the DW Stadium, O’Neill said: “It’s not sunk in just yet but I’m sure it will in a couple more days – I still can’t quite believe it.

“I enjoyed watching the match back and remembering just how tough and physical it was. I’m glad we could get the job done.”

O’Neill completed the most tackles [48] for the Warriors on Saturday night, and speaking on the toughness of the clash against the NRL premiers, he said: “It was all about doing what you had to do to win – so that involved tackling anything that came in front of me.

“Penrith are a big physical pack with some great ball carriers so it was important our defence as a team was at its best.”

On playing in front of a sold out DW Stadium, O’Neill said: “It was pretty special walking out in front of such an incredible atmosphere. You don’t get the chance to play in those big games very often which made Saturday night even more special that we were able to make and share those memories with our fans.”

O’Neill made his 50th appearance for the Warriors in the win, and on hitting the milestone, he said: “I’m really proud to have worn the shirt 50 times for this Club. It’s been an incredible couple of years so far with some massive wins in massive games – I cannot wait to continue.”

Expressing his motivation for the season ahead, O’Neill said: “Our desire is to keep playing in these big games but its important we continue to build and improve in order to reach them. We’ve all had a taste of it now which has created a real hunger for more.”

The Warriors return to Betfred Super League action on Friday night against Huddersfield Giants, and with match tickets reduced to £5, supporters are encouraged to celebrate with the World Champions at the DW Stadium.

Looking ahead to the clash against the Giants, O’Neill said: “We’ve got to jump straight back on the horse and go again against a physical Huddersfield side. The celebrations were short, but everybody is back ready to attack the rest of the season.”

More information on how you can celebrate with the World Champions on Friday night can be found HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/02/ ... champions/

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/02/ ... elieve-it/
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:05 am I got sent a picture of the French no try with a line drawn accross the pitch at the moment of Smiths kick. To me he looks just onside and certainly it was worth more than one look from the video ref.
I’m convinced he knew what was coming with the Wardle incident. To make that decision so quickly just felt weird and that’s even with the slightly different rule. Still gutted it was turned down. What a moment!!
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

NICKYKISS wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:43 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:05 am I got sent a picture of the French no try with a line drawn accross the pitch at the moment of Smiths kick. To me he looks just onside and certainly it was worth more than one look from the video ref.
I’m convinced he knew what was coming with the Wardle incident. To make that decision so quickly just felt weird and that’s even with the slightly different rule. Still gutted it was turned down. What a moment!!
True, somebody in the south stand must have gone down about 20 steps at the side of me when French went in

I must have been our lucky star on the night - 3 tries and missed them all as i was getting drinks, only one i saw was the French one and it got disallowed :) :) :)
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

the pieman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:33 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:43 pm
True, somebody in the south stand must have gone down about 20 steps at the side of me when French went in

I must have been our lucky star on the night - 3 tries and missed them all as i was getting drinks, only one i saw was the French one and it got disallowed :) :) :)
Superb stuff. It felt worth a 20 step fall but I wouldn’t have liked to have been lied on the deck as the decision came up!

What a play that was. So brave and executed to very near perfection. It might not have come off on the night but it’s nice to put teams on notice. The BBC mentioned us being frustrated that we’ll have given it up for other teams to keep an eye on but I’d look at it differently. If they become nervous about that play from a scrum, they might leave gaps elsewhere and if they don’t and a team like Penrith couldn’t stop it, not many will be able to.