Injuries

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Injuries

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I don't know weather it was seen on tv but Cooper seemed to be limping and shaking his head as he came off from his first half stint. I was surprised when he came back on
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:05 pm I don't know weather it was seen on tv but Cooper seemed to be limping and shaking his head as he came off from his first half stint. I was surprised when he came back on
yes, thats why i was assuming we are def without Cooper and Leeming for at least a couple of weeks and poss subject to scans.

there was a quick flick to the touchline and he was on his back with a physio manipulating around the back of his knee / upper calf. Hopefullly just a bit of a reaction to being out so long and nothing serious. And i think Leeming had a big ice pack on the back of his calf / achilles
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:46 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:48 am no idea how leeming passed a fitness test for the WCC as his was limping when he came on the field i was watching him in back play and he was moving terrible.

He needs to sort that injury out proper before he plays again we have plenty of depth in this squad.

I think bringing in a few youngsters this week would be good - many people will expect us to have a trophy hangover so i think bringing in some energy will help a lot of them probably keen to show what they can do after last week
I’m hoping Forber gets a gig.
Yeah, me too. Seems like the ideal time.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors suffer injury setbacks after Kruise Leeming and Mike Cooper update

The World Club Challenge victory has come at a cost.

Wigan Warriors will be without Kruise Leeming for "two to three" weeks following the ankle injury he suffered in the World Club Challenge. Head coach Matt Peet has confirmed the hooker is set for a short spell on the sidelines.

Meanwhile, the club are still uncertain how long Mike Cooper will be unavailable after suffering a knee injury against Penrith Panthers. He was seen hobbling after the game and has not been named in their 21-man squad to face Huddersfield Giants.

We need a bit more information on both of them really," Peet said. "Particularly Mike. We know roughly what it is, but there’s no time frame agreed yet. Kruise is two or three weeks, he won’t play this week obviously. But he could come into contention for London or Salford.”

Luke Thompson is set to replace Cooper after he passed his concussion protocols while youngster Tom Forber is set to be given an opportunity to replace Leeming.

Tom Forber will play,” Peet confirmed on Wednesday. "He’s a very popular member of this squad because of the way he goes about his business.

"He’s very hard-working, very professional and he’s had to be patient over the last year or two because we’ve been well stocked with nines. We are very confident about his ability. Everyone is excited to see him go out on the field.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... r-28722063
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors boss provides latest on Ethan Havard with hopeful timeframe revealed

Wigan Warriors head coach Matt Peet recently provided an update on recovering forward Ethan Havard.

The 23-year-old suffered a reoccurrence of a hamstring injury during last year’s Super League Grand Final, having made his return to action from the interchange bench at Old Trafford against Catalans Dragons.

He lasted just 10 minutes before being forced from the field as the Warriors went on to claim their sixth Super League title.

Havard was promoted to shirt number eight ahead of Wigan’s title defending 2024 campaign, with Peet providing the latest on the recovering England international.

“He’s coming along all right,” Peet recently explained.

“I think we’re looking around after the Easter period, maybe April time.

“We’re going to be cautious with Ethan - as long as it takes.

“Having that re-injury in the Grand Final, I think it’s important that we give him the maximum time and make sure that he’s fit not only for when he comes back, but also for the foreseeable future.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ed-4537052
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Keeping everything crossed for Mike Cooper. The guy deserves some luck and hopefully it’s not a long term one again. I’m not sure he’d have got back on the field had it been as bad as last time so hopefully that’s a good sign.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:05 pm Keeping everything crossed for Mike Cooper. The guy deserves some luck and hopefully it’s not a long term one again. I’m not sure he’d have got back on the field had it been as bad as last time so hopefully that’s a good sign.
yes, there was a brief clip on the BBC coverage where they panned to the touchline and he was being seen to by the physio. It looked like upper calf, so hopefully just a bit of tightness / stiffness from not playing. I know he'll have had rehab /S&C to build up the surrounding muscles, but still nowt like playing full on
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

the pieman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:10 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:05 pm Keeping everything crossed for Mike Cooper. The guy deserves some luck and hopefully it’s not a long term one again. I’m not sure he’d have got back on the field had it been as bad as last time so hopefully that’s a good sign.
yes, there was a brief clip on the BBC coverage where they panned to the touchline and he was being seen to by the physio. It looked like upper calf, so hopefully just a bit of tightness / stiffness from not playing. I know he'll have had rehab /S&C to build up the surrounding muscles, but still nowt like playing full on
The strapping looked to be supporting his knee so I fear it is not a muscle injury.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Does make you wonder whether he was brought back to early and questioning why he was sent back on?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:00 am
Does make you wonder whether he was brought back to early and questioning why he was sent back on?
Much as I'm hugely impressed by Matt Peet and our coaching staff, the one area I question their approach is on managing players with injuries. Ethan Harvard, Mike Cooper, Kruise Leeming, Liam Byrne (last season) are just some examples.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐