Wigan Squad for Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Squad for Salford

Post by josie andrews »

* 21-player squad announced for Thursday’s Betfred Super League Round 5 clash against Salford Red Devils, in association with Matrix Fitness.

* Matt Peet has made two changes ahead of the fixture at the Salford Community Stadium.

* Salford Red Devils v Wigan Warriors, Thursday 14 March, 8pm K.O.

MATT PEET HAS SELECTED HIS 21-PLAYER SQUAD FOR THURSDAY NIGHT’S BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE ROUND 5 CLASH AGAINST SALFORD RED DEVILS.

The Warriors head coach has made two changes to the 21-player squad he named for Wigan’s clash against London Broncos last time out, as Liam Byrne and Liam Marshall replace Jacob Douglas and Jack Farrimond.

Wigan squad for Salford:

1 Jai Field
2 Abbas Miski
3 Adam Keighran
4 Jake Wardle
5 Liam Marshall
6 Bevan French
7 Harry Smith
9 Brad O’Neill
10 Liam Byrne
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
13 Kaide Ellis
15 Patrick Mago
16 Luke Thompson
19 Tyler Dupree
20 Harvie Hill
21 Junior Nsemba
23 Ryan Hampshire
24 Tiaki Chan
26 Zach Eckersley
27 Tom Forber

Tickets for the clash remain available to purchase online HERE or from the DW Stadium Ticket Office. Tickets will be available to purchase on the day at the Salford Community Stadium, however, a price increase of £1.50 will occur. Please note anyone Under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... alford-r5/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Squad for Salford

Post by josie andrews »

Peet previews Salford

* Matt Peet spoke to the press ahead of Thursday night’s Betfred Super League clash against Salford Red Devils.

* Peet: “We are just concentrating on where can we learn and improve as individuals and as a team.”

* Salford Red Devils v Wigan Warriors, Thursday 16 March, 8pm K.O.

MATT PEET SPOKE TO THE PRESS AHEAD OF WIGAN WARRIORS’ BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE ROUND 5 CLASH AGAINST SALFORD RED DEVILS.

The Warriors will be aiming to extend their winning start to the season on Thursday night when they face Salford Red Devils at the Salford Community Stadium.

Wigan scored 10 tries to defeat London Broncos 60-22 in the capital last time out, and on the victory Peet said: “It was pleasing to see as a coach that the players when called upon have some credit in the bank – in particular Zach Eckersley and Ryan Hampshire. It was also great to see Junior Nsemba back out there who will add more power to the forwards.”

Wigan fielded eight Academy graduates against the Broncos, on which Peet said: “It’s a strong point in the Club’s staff at the moment which is the way it has to be. We sit on a hot-bed of talent here in the North West and our Academy players and staff – in particular Shane Eccles and John Duffy – do a fantastic job not just in supporting the players, but providing playing opportunities away from Wigan.”

Peet has made two changes to his 21-player squad for the trip to Salford, as Liam Byrne and Liam Marshall return in place of Jack Farrimond and Jacob Douglas.

On the clash against the Red Devils, Peet said: “For as long as I’ve been in this role some of our most intense games have been against Salford, so we’re under no illusions about the kind of challenge that we have.

“For me and the club, there’s a massive amount of respect for what Paul Rowley does with his team – they play attractive rugby, but they’re also always hard-working and connected.”

On improvements, Peet added: “We have to improve on our accuracy in the tackle area as well as our discipline when playing the ball – that’s what we are working hard on. We are just concentrating on where can we learn and improve as individuals and as a team.”

The Warriors will host Sheffield Eagles in Round Six of the Challenge Cup, and on the draw, which took place on Monday evening, Peet said: “We like the fact Sheffield Eagles will be a fresh team and a fresh challenge to come up against. They’ve earned their right to reach this stage and we look forward to the occasion.”

Tickets for the clash remain available to purchase online HERE or from the DW Stadium Ticket Office until 12pm on Thursday 16 March. Tickets can be purchased on the day at the Salford Stadium, however, a price increase of £1.50 will occur. Please note anyone Under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... salford-6/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The backs pick themselves. In the pack, with half an eye on Good Friday, I would play:
Thompson - O’Neill - Dupree - Nsemba - Farrell - Ellis (with Mago, Byrne, Hill and Forber). Nsemba looked superb when he hit his stride against London, and I am v excited to see what damage he can cause this year.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:05 am The backs pick themselves. In the pack, with half an eye on Good Friday, I would play:
Thompson - O’Neill - Dupree - Nsemba - Farrell - Ellis (with Mago, Byrne, Hill and Forber). Nsemba looked superb when he hit his stride against London, and I am v excited to see what damage he can cause this year.
Another thought would be maybe Hill will be rested as he has played long minutes last few games?

Like you, I think Junior will be a special talent, I just wonder if Salford squad will be same as for Good Friday and he may just miss out and get a full game v Sheffield?

Considering Leeming was a possible for this week then we have some exciting times ahead, Cooper is maybe 6 weeks off, Havard is close (?) and we have Eseh in a 6 weeks also. Not forgetting Walters!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Worst game for French in a wigan shirt tonight but have to give Salford credit they have taken every chance they have had.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Get out of jail free card there Wardle
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

I like Sneyd as a player or I did should I say
He’s not half turned into an arm waving , scrykin cheat . But we was bloody lucky there .
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

We got abit lucky there. Thought we weren’t great but I thought Salford were really good tonight.
Sneyds kicking game killed us tonight but credit to the lads for digging in and getting the result.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Too many players going through the motions tonight and i agree french had his worst game.Why the hell did sneyd go short???? My mom was miski who was solid
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE