Ex SL star Jackson Hastings refuses to train with NRL feeder team after being axed

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

Re: Ex SL star Jackson Hastings refuses to train with NRL feeder team after being axed

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 am He always seemed obsessed with being a superstar which in itself isnt a bad thing but it seemed to focus most around the glitz and glam rather than the achievement.

I think this is why he loved Salford so much because he was treated like a god by their fans but when he came to Wigan we had seen people of his talent and better regular in our team

He prefers to be a big fish in a little pond IMO
Do you have any examples?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzie58

Re: Ex SL star Jackson Hastings refuses to train with NRL feeder team after being axed

Post by fozzie58 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 am He always seemed obsessed with being a superstar which in itself isnt a bad thing but it seemed to focus most around the glitz and glam rather than the achievement.

I think this is why he loved Salford so much because he was treated like a god by their fans but when he came to Wigan we had seen people of his talent and better regular in our team

I'd say that's a fair assessment of him
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:14 pm

I follow him on Instagram and he's massively into american culture of sports, around basketball NFL the whole like "GOAT!" type thing. Loves a slowmo video of himself with a rap track backing. He was trying to change the NRL rules because he wanted to market his 31 number as a brand and obviously NRL dont have static numbers.

Its just an opinion but he comes across to me who would rather win a personal accolade than a team one
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:42 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:14 pm

I follow him on Instagram and he's massively into american culture of sports, around basketball NFL the whole like "GOAT!" type thing. Loves a slowmo video of himself with a rap track backing. He was trying to change the NRL rules because he wanted to market his 31 number as a brand and obviously NRL dont have static numbers.

Its just an opinion but he comes across to me who would rather win a personal accolade than a team one
i think some of it is a generational thing too. In the past a player (not necessarily RL) could earn sponsorship by doing public appearances / adverts on TV or magazines

nowadays, with the invent of the smart phone, with instagram, twitter, snapchat and other social media apps of the like they can earn much more money by spending time on their "Socials" as its all about the followers. I know this is an extreme example but Christiano Ronaldo earns millions from it, and for what, he's probably paying someone to do it for him

I turned 50 last year and work in IT, so far from a techno-phobe but i really dont buy into people wanting to make a career out of social media. I was at the in-laws 12months ago, and my nephew had done a piece of work at school about careers (they are 8-9 years old), and the majority wanted to be influencers / you tubers. No footballers, spacemen, policemen etc like we dreamed of when younger. they all want to p*ss around on their phone to make money

so, the young ones may see Jacko as a bit of a hero / legend as he's all over social media, whereas us older ones probably think he should just concentrate on playing the game and get on with it :)
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The thing is, he's not a superstar, is he? He's not a Reece Walsh or a Shaun Johnson. He never does the unexpected or the brilliant; he's a steady Eddie. Nothing wrong with that, but IMO the commentators massively over-praise him. Wigan certainly don't miss him.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Well, Newcastle did well today beating Melbourne I guess. Coach was correct
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
PorterjohLam

Post by PorterjohLam »

One of the worst signings we ever made culture wise.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

PorterjohLam wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:07 pm One of the worst signings we ever made culture wise.
Were there any incidents at Wigan?

I seem to recall something with Hastings influencing Jai Field but cannot remember the specifics.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 am
PorterjohLam wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:07 pm One of the worst signings we ever made culture wise.
Were there any incidents at Wigan?

I seem to recall something with Hastings influencing Jai Field but cannot remember the specifics.
Think sort of bullied him! I did see the way he belittled him at a fans get together at Robin Park after Covid & I commented to him that Kaide Ellis had signed & that he was originally from Dubbo, he disrespected him as well. Bad person full of his own hype IMO

Never liked the way he behaved towards Wigan Fans when Salford beat us at their place on the last game, for us, to be played in front of fans before Covid. He ignored the majority of Wigan fans after the game & went straight to Salford fans! He used Wigan IMO to get noticed by the NRL!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
niladri

Post by niladri »

In response to Jackson Hastings refusing to train with the NRL feeder team after being axed, some might understand his frustration and desire to maintain dignity. Others may view it as unprofessional and expect him to accept the decision gracefully, focusing on his next opportunity. gb whatsapp pro v17.00 download