Rocky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Rocky

Post by morley pie eater »

Enigma or what?

I remember when Rocky was the Messiah. The first time I saw him was in the 2013 Academy Grand Final. We conceded home advantage as the DW wasn't available. Rocky had been built up to be the next Edwards or Alex Murphy, but the star that day was George Williams. (I was also impressed by Bretherton, who came on as a sub in the 2nd half.)

He then goes to Cas, Wakefield. Reputedly had a high opinion of his own abilities, and, to be fair was a decent player at 1 or 6, if not the superstar he was predicted to be, or thought he was, by some accounts).

He's still only 29. How does he end up as a reserve player - albeit a handy one to have: goalkicker, versatile and so on?

Can anyone fill us in on how he got to this point?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Rocky

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Injuries
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Oddly he's found his niche as a utility/squad player, no harm in that either sometimes versatility hampers players as seems to have happened with Hampshire,never going to be a world beater but now he's accepted his lot he looks a much happier person.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm Enigma or what?

I remember when Rocky was the Messiah. The first time I saw him was in the 2013 Academy Grand Final. We conceded home advantage as the DW wasn't available. Rocky had been built up to be the next Edwards or Alex Murphy, but the star that day was George Williams. (I was also impressed by Bretherton, who came on as a sub in the 2nd half.)

He then goes to Cas, Wakefield. Reputedly had a high opinion of his own abilities, and, to be fair was a decent player at 1 or 6, if not the superstar he was predicted to be, or thought he was, by some accounts).

He's still only 29. How does he end up as a reserve player - albeit a handy one to have: goalkicker, versatile and so on?

Can anyone fill us in on how he got to this point?
It was his Dad! Not Ryan who kept pushing & pushing until Wane got fed up of being told who to play where & let him go.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

It was all down to money as both him and williams were the best half back combination about at that time but whereas george kicked on rocky seemed to stay at the same level but as someone has allready said he has refound himself and good luck to him for sticking at it
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

As always, this forum has the answers!

Thanks, I get the picture more clearly now. I've nothing against the lad, just didn't understand his career trajectory. I think I may have been influenced early on by a certain poster who lauded Rocky so much early in his career - that's why I used Messiah to describe him.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I wonder whether he has ever developed the skill to play what is in front of him. He seems unable to adapt, and end up going down blind alleys far too often. Good player to have in the squad, and he is an important squad player for the best club side in the world, so it could be a lot worse.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He played well tonight.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I agree on attack but im not sure about his defence
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Suzieb wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:22 am I agree on attack but im not sure about his defence
Why what did he do wrong in defence.?