LEAGUE. Joint Super League and NRL decision set to be made

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
robbobillinge

Re: LEAGUE. Joint Super League and NRL decision set to be made

Post by robbobillinge »

Having been to Vegas twice ( the second time passing through) I think I would rather go to Castleford😀
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

robbobillinge wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:35 pm Having been to Vegas twice ( the second time passing through) I think I would rather go to Castleford😀
Yeah, it is horrible.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:34 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:51 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:50 pm

So you expected a single exhibition match to do what exactly?

You need a multi-year plan, fully financed and thought through, with measurable and realistic targets at multiple points over the plan's timescale.

Doesn't sound like the NRL are doing that though, seems a little on the fly, with decisions made annually. What is their target I wonder? A team in Hawaii in the NRL - that could work, there's plenty of RL fans on those islands. A team in Vegas? Annual US roadshows? Growing an NRL fan base (unrealistic without a local presence IMO)? Building a stronger local comp?

There's no point in the Super League being involved IMO. Despite the easier logistics in bringing the US market into play, they have already declared they won't allow it by kicking out Toronto and ruling out a future franchise. So its up to the NRL and the west coast is the only place it can possibliy work for them. IMO the travel distances and timezones make it impossible to get a US based team in their comp though, so I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve.
Presumably, IF the Aussies bought out SL, they'd be the ones to decide on the viability of one or more US teams joining SL?
They would. Although I think that's a red herring. As far as I can see it's from a single opinion piece (rant) from the media. I very much doubt the NRL has any interest in SL. They never have done in the past. The opposite in fact. They don't care about the international game either.
I don’t know what “buying SL” is supposed to mean anyway. I mean what would they be buying? SL doesn’t own the clubs or any of the grounds. As far as I can see SL has no significant assets to buy.

A new completion run by the NRL could be set up I suppose but what would that actually mean? Clubs being dictated to by an Australian organisation to go and play fixtures in Vegas?

IMG and the system they have introduced has only just started so it would be a very strange decision to decide to hand over the running of the completion to the NRL.

As to a game in Vegas I really do not see the point because I fail to see how it helps the game here. If there is to be a concerted effort to get the sport of the ground in the US I could possibly see the NRL trying to promote that but I fail to see why SL should be involved. The game is struggling here and so the expense of clubs flying over there and playing seems an odd move to make when as someone else said there is an issue getting over to France for some.

The only way playing an SL round over there would make sense would be if sponsorship of the event resulted in a very large cash injection into SL and the clubs.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Can't help but feel this story, if that's what it is is nothing more than a grubby grab at the success of the NRL vegas trip nothing more, being aided and abetted by journo's who are desperate for an all expenses trip to cover its for them 'buying" the SL as Dave pointed how on earth would that work, ill grant you most of the clubs would bite the hands of anyone offering them cold hard cash but for now lets concentrate on being able to get teams to France eh?

As for the bright future under IMG well im far from convinced by their input so far,its early days I suppose but nothing they've done is filling me with confidence.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It seems to me that crowds are up significantly this year. Probably nothing to do with IMG, but I reckon the coverage of the TV deal didn't hurt us. I'd say we're back on an upslope as a sport.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:31 pm
robbobillinge wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:35 pm Having been to Vegas twice ( the second time passing through) I think I would rather go to Castleford😀
Yeah, it is horrible.
Sleazy.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Mike wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:55 pm It seems to me that crowds are up significantly this year. Probably nothing to do with IMG, but I reckon the coverage of the TV deal didn't hurt us. I'd say we're back on an upslope as a sport.
Certainly I agree the sport seems on an at least upward tickets see how it goes over a year or two attendance wise I assume the hysteria over covid has passed and people are finally happy to be out in the warm summer air of summer super league.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzie58 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:51 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:55 pm It seems to me that crowds are up significantly this year. Probably nothing to do with IMG, but I reckon the coverage of the TV deal didn't hurt us. I'd say we're back on an upslope as a sport.
Certainly I agree the sport seems on an at least upward tickets see how it goes over a year or two attendance wise I assume the hysteria over covid has passed and people are finally happy to be out in the warm summer air of summer super league.
😂😂😂☔️💨☃️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:41 pm If our SL clubs can't afford the return fare to Perpignan why would anyone propose one or more our clubs go to Las Vagas?
+1
Tell it to Mike, Cas cannot even to do anything to their ground.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

At least the pitch at Cas meets the minimum dimensions whereas the Allegiant Stadium is fit only for the NFL. Wouldn’t suit many Super League clubs to play on a narrow field that’s for sure