LEAGUE. Joint Super League and NRL decision set to be made

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

LEAGUE. Joint Super League and NRL decision set to be made

Post by josie andrews »

There have been reports that a Super League fixture could be played in Las Vegas alongside NRL fixtures in 2025 and a decision is reportedly set to be made on the Vegas fixtures this week which will likely impact Super League clubs.

This also comes amid talks that the NRL could buy Super League and revamp the competition moving it back to winter.

There has been talk that the World Club Challenge could be played in Las Vegas moving forward but failing that a Super League fixture is likely to make the move as work is done to grow the sport in America.

NRL and Super League clubs headed to America

There are a few obvious standouts to take part in the NRL fixtures in Las Vegas and one side are reportedly in the box seat.

“If I’m a Panthers fan, you’d be packing your bags for Las Vegas,” Michael Chammas said on Channel.

“They are in the box seat to head over as one of the home teams to head over for that game next year at Allegiant Stadium.”

Wide World of Sports further reported: “9News and Sydney Morning Herald reporter Michael Chammas confirmed on Nine’s Sunday afternoon half-time coverage the Australian Rugby League Commission will meet on Wednesday to discuss the submissions put in place.

“The clubs in the mix are reportedly Melbourne, the Dolphins, Raiders, Newcastle, North Queensland and the Warriors – but it’s the Panthers who are in the box seat

“The league are also considering sending two NRLW teams to America as part of a triple-header at Allegiant Stadium.

“Chammas also revealed the NRLW is likely to be a 12-team competition in 2025 with the Canterbury Bulldogs set to be added.

“The four teams who played in Vegas to kick off this season – Manly, Brisbane, South Sydney and Roosters – appear unlikely to head over in 2024.”

So with this decision set to be made this week it is likely that a decision will also be made on any potential Super League involvement in the exciting adventure across the pond so to speak. This could be a massive step for the sport and Super League

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/nrl-and- ... ion-89442/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Re: LEAGUE. Joint Super League and NRL decision set to be made

Post by ian.birchall »

Stupidity. It didn't work when we played Warrintion in Minneapolis in the middle ages.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

I went to the Milwaukee game, it was a fantastic week that we had there. It was always only ever going to be a one off match though as the Americans never really bought into it, although those in attendance loved the physicality of it.
Geez I drank helluvalot of Budweiser/Michelob that week, I think I'm still suffering :D
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 am Stupidity. It didn't work when we played Warrintion in Minneapolis in the middle ages.
So you expected a single exhibition match to do what exactly?

You need a multi-year plan, fully financed and thought through, with measurable and realistic targets at multiple points over the plan's timescale.

Doesn't sound like the NRL are doing that though, seems a little on the fly, with decisions made annually. What is their target I wonder? A team in Hawaii in the NRL - that could work, there's plenty of RL fans on those islands. A team in Vegas? Annual US roadshows? Growing an NRL fan base (unrealistic without a local presence IMO)? Building a stronger local comp?

There's no point in the Super League being involved IMO. Despite the easier logistics in bringing the US market into play, they have already declared they won't allow it by kicking out Toronto and ruling out a future franchise. So its up to the NRL and the west coast is the only place it can possibliy work for them. IMO the travel distances and timezones make it impossible to get a US based team in their comp though, so I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Mike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:50 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 am Stupidity. It didn't work when we played Warrintion in Minneapolis in the middle ages.

You need a multi-year plan, fully financed and thought through, with measurable and realistic targets at multiple points over the plan's timescale.

Doesn't sound like the NRL are doing that though, seems a little on the fly, with decisions made annually. What is their target I wonder? A team in Hawaii in the NRL - that could work, there's plenty of RL fans on those islands. A team in Vegas? Annual US roadshows? Growing an NRL fan base (unrealistic without a local presence IMO)? Building a stronger local comp?

There's no point in the Super League being involved IMO. Despite the easier logistics in bringing the US market into play, they have already declared they won't allow it by kicking out Toronto and ruling out a future franchise. So its up to the NRL and the west coast is the only place it can possibliy work for them. IMO the travel distances and timezones make it impossible to get a US based team in their comp though, so I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve.
I suspect it will be more based around TV deals/advertising within the US market, possible merchandise in the US, I can't say that I have ever watched any NRL based programme where they go on about increasing attendance at games etc. so I think it would be more around creating a US fanbase and selling games/shirts
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

The NRL are after gambling money isn’t this at the heart of this move to Las Vegas that and flog a few more subs their app to watch games,it’ll be interesting to see how it develops over the coming year's we shall see as for super league at the moment why would they invite us to their very expensive party unless they have a stake in the game over here?
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If our SL clubs can't afford the return fare to Perpignan why would anyone propose one or more our clubs go to Las Vagas?
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:41 pm If our SL clubs can't afford the return fare to Perpignan why would anyone propose one or more our clubs go to Las Vagas?
Well quite.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Presumably, IF the Aussies bought out SL, they'd be the ones to decide on the viability of one or more US teams joining SL?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:51 pm

Presumably, IF the Aussies bought out SL, they'd be the ones to decide on the viability of one or more US teams joining SL?
They would. Although I think that's a red herring. As far as I can see it's from a single opinion piece (rant) from the media. I very much doubt the NRL has any interest in SL. They never have done in the past. The opposite in fact. They don't care about the international game either.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐