New Deal for Jake Wardle

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WWRL

New Deal for Jake Wardle

Post by WWRL »

Wardle has signed a new five year deal until 2029

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... year-deal/
josie andrews

Re: New Deal for Jake Wardle

Post by josie andrews »

Jake Wardle signs five-year deal

* Jake Wardle has signed a new five-year deal.

* The Centre is tied down until the end of the 2029 season.

* Wardle: “The 18 months I’ve been here so far have been enjoyable and I’m looking forward to more enjoyable moments.”

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that centre Jake Wardle has signed a new five-year deal with the Club, securing his services until at least the end of 2029.

After joining from Huddersfield, the 25-year-old played all but one game in his debut season for the Warriors in 2023, culminating with a Harry Sunderland Award-winning performance in the Betfred Super League Grand Final victory over Catalans Dragons. He was also selected for the 2023 Betfred Super League Dream Team for the first time in his career.

The unassuming centre, who scored 16 tries in 31 appearances in his first season, has continued his great form into the 2024 season and was a try scorer in the Betfred World Club Challenge victory over Penrith Panthers at a sold-out DW Stadium.

Head Coach Matt Peet said: “We’re very happy, he’s a fantastic player and I think he’s in great form at the moment.

“He’s just a fantastic lad, very popular in the playing group – low maintenance, high performance and he’s a pleasure to work with. He’s a proud father, a family man and hopefully his family are as pleased as we are to have his future secured at Wigan.”

On the new deal, Jake Wardle said: “Since I signed I’ve made everyone aware that I really enjoy it here. It definitely feels like home and I can’t wait to see what happens in the next five years.

“The 18 months I’ve been here so far have been enjoyable and I’m looking forward to more enjoyable moments.”

Chief Executive Kris Radlinski said: “Jake is one of the elite centres in the UK Super League. From the moment that he put a Wigan jersey on, his levels of performance have been outstanding. Whilst we always knew Jake had the talent, he appears to have found a spiritual home at Wigan.

He added: “For Jake to commit such a long period of time to the Club, just shows how happy he is on and off the field. Wigan fans clearly love watching Jake play and appreciate just what a centre he is. There is joint appreciation for each other.”

Jake Wardle is sponsored by Sunbelt Rentals

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/03/ ... year-deal/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bloody great news best centre in SL 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The lad's all class.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

the good work in the background continues

coaching staff tied into long term deals
Field and Smith tied into long term deals back end of last season, Miski 4 year deal
Wardle long term deal

ideally now, an update on French (would love him to stay, but if he's not as long as the club knows, then we can work on his replacement)

Thompson and Leeming signed 4 year deals when they joined

Dupree, Havard, Byrne, Hill, Nsemba, O'Neill (& or Forber), Walters (although we've yet to see him in all honesty) all to be tied onto long term deals

If we can get a good proportion of them tied into long term deals (based on performance), then we've the basis of an excellent squad for the next 4 years, with players naturally retiring (cooper, farrell, isa as examples), then we have good opportunity to give the younger players the opportunity and pathway to 1st team rugby
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:09 pm Bloody great news best centre in SL 😊
Best by a long way hopefully keighran can kick on as well
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Gone to the NRL in a year then?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Let's not pretend that this means he will be here for 5 years.

However, still good news and a very good centre imo. Must be one of the first names on the teamsheet.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:11 pm Gone to the NRL in a year then?
There doesn’t seem to have been any talk about him “wanting to test himself in the NRL one day” you see from many players so hopefully he’s going to be like Lockers and is happy to play for Wigan for the duration of his contract.

Best centre we have had for years probably since Carmont.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He's a class centre. The position isn't quite as influential as it used to be IMO, but he sometimes gets a chance to shine and he often takes it. A good move by the club I reckon. Seems crazy that huddersfield wanted him out (and Wire wanted King out too - shame we couldn't have kept him as well).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐