Derby Day!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Derby Day!

Post by NICKYKISS »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:19 pm It’s not just one game. Our forwards just out muscled London no decent attacking sets. Sheffield was a struggle. Salford we were poor and lucky to win. Came unstuck against Saints because our discipline was poor and our attacking options were non existent.

Sorry to upset anyone but Bevan is not a creative half back but a tremendous individual finisher. And we will come unstuck again in matches like the Saints unless something changes.

Bevan and Smith need to step up against Leigh otherwise we need to look at other options.
I don’t disagree that we’ve been nowhere near our best since Penrith but it was never going to be easy to get past that game mentally and there was always going to be a dip. We needed Friday in many ways to just get that energy back and we saw that in spades. We just now need to find that focus and concentration and attack better, with more accuracy when moving the ball. It’ll come, I’ve got no doubts whatsoever.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

All of the above is probably true but no one's mentioned the state of the pitches.

We have a team with pace but all that is negated by grounds which water logged and sodden. All the pace we have becomes meaningless when playing on a soggy, slippy pitch. We didn't help ourselves with poor discipline etc but our main attacking threat had been nullified by the weather and the pitch.

Come the dry weather and dryer pitches our pace will show. I'll bet our play combinations suddenly improve too. Good Friday does matter but the season has a very long way to go. I'm very confident that with this squad and coaching team we stand a very good chance of winning trophies and in the process beating anyone who we have to face.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:19 pm It’s not just one game. Our forwards just out muscled London no decent attacking sets. Sheffield was a struggle. Salford we were poor and lucky to win. Came unstuck against Saints because our discipline was poor and our attacking options were non existent.

Sorry to upset anyone but Bevan is not a creative half back but a tremendous individual finisher. And we will come unstuck again in matches like the Saints unless something changes.

Bevan and Smith need to step up against Leigh otherwise we need to look at other options.
What you are not factoring in is the impact that Havard, Cooper and Walters can have on this team. Bevan will never be a creative half back what we need him to do is run the ball more often at tiring defences.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:10 am

What you are not factoring in is the impact that Havard, Cooper and Walters can have on this team. Bevan will never be a creative half back what we need him to do is run the ball more often at tiring defences.
I'd say the complete opposite Chariots. He's definitely a creative half back as his tries and try assists show. Didn't he have the most assists in the comp last season? What he probably won't be is a controlling half but, as we have Harry Smith, he doesn't need to be.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Flash wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:40 pm

I'd say the complete opposite Chariots. He's definitely a creative half back as his tries and try assists show. Didn't he have the most assists in the comp last season? What he probably won't be is a controlling half but, as we have Harry Smith, he doesn't need to be.
He did Flash but that comes a a result of him taking the ball to the line which he needs to do more of. His creativity stems from a pass out wide, he very rarely puts a centre or second row forward through a gap. On Good Friday I wanted to see him take on the Saints forwards when they were tired, even if he doesn't make a break he will draw penalties. Smith has also got to take the ball to the line on occasions. Field needs to act as a decoy or support runner. Bevan is too predictable at the moment but I think Walters changes that.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Christ , and I thought Saints fans talked rubbish
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

We hold 3 of the 4 trophy’s
Where unbeaten in 15 games
Missing 3 starters away from home and it took a red card before we conceded a try .
Let’s have some perspective

If Makinson doesn’t catch that ball the result would be different and they would be calling for Wellens head again.

The overreaction is crazy
Flash

Post by Flash »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:04 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:40 pm

He did Flash but that comes a a result of him taking the ball to the line which he needs to do more of. His creativity stems from a pass out wide, he very rarely puts a centre or second row forward through a gap. On Good Friday I wanted to see him take on the Saints forwards when they were tired, even if he doesn't make a break he will draw penalties. Smith has also got to take the ball to the line on occasions. Field needs to act as a decoy or support runner. Bevan is too predictable at the moment but I think Walters changes that.
I don't disagree that the creativity stems from playing at the line Chariots. I think that's the case most of the time and what made Lockers such a good player. To be fair, though, I think both Smith and French do that really well for the most part. French is still finding his feet so perhaps everything isn't second nature to him yet and he won't always balance the various aspects of the position. That said, he does it well for the most part and, in a game as disrupted as this with regards to having a full team on the pitch etc, I can forgive him perhaps not getting it perfect this time around.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I know. Just look at last year. We couldn't win any big game and finished dead last with this team. Oh wait. We actually won it all....

Give it time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Earlier this season Saints played Salford at home, had Percival sent off, then lost!

We played Saints at their place, had Dupree sin binned and Byrne sent off, then lost!

Perhaps if neither Saints nor us had players sent off they may possibly not have lost!