Derby Day!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Derby Day!

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Flash wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:59 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:04 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:40 pm
I'd say the complete opposite Chariots. He's definitely a creative half back as his tries and try assists show. Didn't he have the most assists in the comp last season? What he probably won't be is a controlling half but, as we have Harry Smith, he doesn't need to be.
He did Flash but that comes a a result of him taking the ball to the line which he needs to do more of. His creativity stems from a pass out wide, he very rarely puts a centre or second row forward through a gap. On Good Friday I wanted to see him take on the Saints forwards when they were tired, even if he doesn't make a break he will draw penalties. Smith has also got to take the ball to the line on occasions. Field needs to act as a decoy or support runner. Bevan is too predictable at the moment but I think Walters changes that.
I don't disagree that the creativity stems from playing at the line Chariots. I think that's the case most of the time and what made Lockers such a good player. To be fair, though, I think both Smith and French do that really well for the most part. French is still finding his feet so perhaps everything isn't second nature to him yet and he won't always balance the various aspects of the position. That said, he does it well for the most part and, in a game as disrupted as this with regards to having a full team on the pitch etc, I can forgive him perhaps not getting it perfect this time around.
I am not criticising French but I think we can get more out of him Flash. Would I have him in my team? Everyday of the week. The collective parts of our team need to come together and when they do we will give some team a hammering. At the moment we are a way off but I am sure that the return of some of our injured players will have a positive impact, in particular Walters. He offers an obvious threat which will automatically improve Bevan’s contribution. Get our best 13 on the field and we will beat Saints.
Flash

Re: Derby Day!

Post by Flash »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:58 pm
Flash wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:59 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:04 pm

He did Flash but that comes a a result of him taking the ball to the line which he needs to do more of. His creativity stems from a pass out wide, he very rarely puts a centre or second row forward through a gap. On Good Friday I wanted to see him take on the Saints forwards when they were tired, even if he doesn't make a break he will draw penalties. Smith has also got to take the ball to the line on occasions. Field needs to act as a decoy or support runner. Bevan is too predictable at the moment but I think Walters changes that.
I don't disagree that the creativity stems from playing at the line Chariots. I think that's the case most of the time and what made Lockers such a good player. To be fair, though, I think both Smith and French do that really well for the most part. French is still finding his feet so perhaps everything isn't second nature to him yet and he won't always balance the various aspects of the position. That said, he does it well for the most part and, in a game as disrupted as this with regards to having a full team on the pitch etc, I can forgive him perhaps not getting it perfect this time around.
I am not criticising French but I think we can get more out of him Flash. Would I have him in my team? Everyday of the week. The collective parts of our team need to come together and when they do we will give some team a hammering. At the moment we are a way off but I am sure that the return of some of our injured players will have a positive impact, in particular Walters. He offers an obvious threat which will automatically improve Bevan’s contribution. Get our best 13 on the field and we will beat Saints.
Absolutely mate! We've bags of improvement in us yet and most of French and Field's potency only comes out as the tracks firm up a bit. I've seen some criticism of Field which I think is totally unjustified. You don't run a thoroughbred on heavy going and expect to get the best out of them! He's contributing in other ways, such as his try-saving tackle on Dodd, but his true worth will only come later in the season. Same with French and, as you say, add Walters and Nsemba making busts and offloads to the mix and we'll start seeing the best of him too.