Consistency of officiating

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Consistency of officiating

Post by Mike »

Flash wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:16 pm https://ibb.co/BCJKSxL
Can anyone explain why Lees going into the tackle upright and with no attempt to wrap the arms is ok but Byrne doing it isn't?
Couldn't get that to play for some reason, but was there head contact? If there was, the Wigan player would be advised to stay down for a few seconds. The cost is a HIA, the benefit is a video review . It's just the way it is right now I reckon.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Mike wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:47 pm
Can anyone explain why Lees going into the tackle upright and with no attempt to wrap the arms is ok but Byrne doing it isn't?
Couldn't get that to play for some reason, but was there head contact? If there was, the Wigan player would be advised to stay down for a few seconds. The cost is a HIA, the benefit is a video review . It's just the way it is right now I reckon.
It was the hit/head clash on Thompson that has been mentioned in the thread and he did stay down, not least because Lees then flopped onto the tackled man.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:55 pm
It was the hit/head clash on Thompson that has been mentioned in the thread and he did stay down, not least because Lees then flopped onto the tackled man.
I did think that one deserves a second look at the time. I'd imagine Lee's maybe cited. We shall see. It's so new at this point I doubt there's any systematic bias even possible at this point!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'm not trying to stir things here, or criticise anyone, but in 61 years watching RL and Wigan, fans have always complained about refs.

Two incidents I remember: as a 13 or 14 year old kid, I was ranting about a ref giving a try against us: "It wasn't a try!!!" Bloke next to me (a Wiganer) says "Look in tomorrow's papers, lad."
Years later, John Monie being interviewed after a narrow Wigan loss, was asked about a ref's decision. "it's not our job to control the referees. Refs don't miss tackles, refs don't knock on. We'll focus on the things we control."

For many years now, I've accepted results based on the fundamental rule of all sport: the referee is always right. I enjoy the game more, don't go away frustrated, never threaten to give up going, and don't get goaded or get into silly arguments with opposition fans.

It's good fun. I recommend it.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

I can accept the ref’s interpretation of minor infringements and understand these are being made within a split second without any replay. Likewise, I don’t have an issue with our players being sent from the field (although I thought Dupree may have got red and Byrne a yellow).

If I use the example of Lees head to head contact, the video ref can get involved if a card is warranted, and given where the game is at present, direct head contact without any attempt to wrap the arms is at least a yellow card. Now that all games have a video ref, why are they only getting involved when asked to by the on field ref?
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am I can accept the ref’s interpretation of minor infringements and understand these are being made within a split second without any replay. Likewise, I don’t have an issue with our players being sent from the field (although I thought Dupree may have got red and Byrne a yellow).

If I use the example of Lees head to head contact, the video ref can get involved if a card is warranted, and given where the game is at present, direct head contact without any attempt to wrap the arms is at least a yellow card. Now that all games have a video ref, why are they only getting involved when asked to by the on field ref?
For me the on field ref has to have the final say, ok the video ref may well tell him hes seen something differently but ultinetly he has to have control over the game otherwise why is he there?
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

What bans do we think they will get i think at least two each and a possible ban for lees and dodds
Flash

Post by Flash »

Sorry Mike, it was a still. I paused the video at the moment of impact. I've since seen the Byrne sending off again and, unlike Lees, he wraps his arms so I was a bit harsh on Byrne there. Lees should have been carded under the current rules. No doubt whatsoever.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:32 am What bans do we think they will get i think at least two each and a possible ban for lees and dodds
Dupree 1 match ban
Bryne 3 match as can't let the ref look like he was wrong on mitigation.

Lees 1 match followed by a successful appeal on the grounds he thought he could get away with it.

Dodds nothing

Walmsley congratulated for hitting people in the face when leading with the hand when attacking.

Ellis to get one match for a high tackle.

My only really question around disciplinary this week is when did flops become legal we saw a fair few on Friday.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:12 pm
Suzieb wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:32 am What bans do we think they will get i think at least two each and a possible ban for lees and dodds
Dupree 1 match ban
Bryne 3 match as can't let the ref look like he was wrong on mitigation.

Lees 1 match followed by a successful appeal on the grounds he thought he could get away with it.

Dodds nothing

Walmsley congratulated for hitting people in the face when leading with the hand when attacking.

Ellis to get one match for a high tackle.

My only really question around disciplinary this week is when did flops become legal we saw a fair few on Friday.
:lol: