Disciplinary

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Disciplinary

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Byrne has been given a Grade E Charge following our R6 tie against St Helens. The charge has been referred to tribunal.

Tyler Dupree, Wigan Warriors, Head Contact, Grade C 1, Match Penalty Notice.

Dupree's Grade C head contact is not the incident for which he was yellow carded for a raised his elbow - which has had no further action.

On the elbow incident, the panel's reason for no further action was: "Player braces for contact and initial contact is with the chest and rides up quickly to the opponent’s neck as the opponent slips prior to contact."

https://x.com/wiganwarriorsrl/status/17 ... 3wQUEE0zxA

Matty Lees has picked up a Grade C charge for a high tackle and a two match penalty notice.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/24 ... s-charges/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Flash

Re: Disciplinary

Post by Flash »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:08 pm Liam Byrne has been given a Grade E Charge following our R6 tie against St Helens. The charge has been referred to tribunal.

Tyler Dupree, Wigan Warriors, Head Contact, Grade C 1, Match Penalty Notice.

Dupree's Grade C head contact is not the incident for which he was yellow carded for a raised his elbow - which has had no further action.

On the elbow incident, the panel's reason for no further action was: "Player braces for contact and initial contact is with the chest and rides up quickly to the opponent’s neck as the opponent slips prior to contact."

https://x.com/wiganwarriorsrl/status/17 ... 3wQUEE0zxA

Matty Lees has picked up a Grade C charge for a high tackle and a two match penalty notice.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/24 ... s-charges/
Grade E for Byrne is just ridiculous. Lees not getting carded at the match equally so. I couldn't understand why it wasn't looked at on the day. Yet another bizarre refereeing decision potentially deciding the result of a game.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It's a higher grading than I thought for Byrne, but having watched it back I think it's fair. I initially thought Percvial dipped just before contact but he's actually dipped well before contact. All Byrne had to do was bend his back going into the tackle. There's plenty of time for him to anticipate where he's going to contact him. It's just lazy technique from someone who had no excuse for it. Had it been someone like Thompson or Ellis you might excuse it through fatigue but seriously, bend your back properly! Upright tackles will almost always lead to suspensions as Lees and Dupree have found out.
Flash

Post by Flash »

EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:54 pm It's a higher grading than I thought for Byrne, but having watched it back I think it's fair. I initially thought Percvial dipped just before contact but he's actually dipped well before contact. All Byrne had to do was bend his back going into the tackle. There's plenty of time for him to anticipate where he's going to contact him. It's just lazy technique from someone who had no excuse for it. Had it been someone like Thompson or Ellis you might excuse it through fatigue but seriously, bend your back properly! Upright tackles will almost always lead to suspensions as Lees and Dupree have found out.
Obviously we're all entitled to our opinion but if being too upright is reason enough for a grade E then we should see several per game handed out. Look at the picture I've posted of Lees on Thompson. Byrne wraps his arms and doesn't lead with the shoulder. A ban is fine but that's not a grade E in the memory of man!
Bob the Builder

Post by Bob the Builder »

Yet the Video Referee advised Kendall it was a yellow card incident only on the day. Obviously Kendall saw it differently in real time (without any replays/slow motion etc.) and decided in his infinite wisdom he'd show a red card. Talk about lack of consistency amongst the officials. Now call me synical but I suspect the RL disciplinary panel (aka the muppet show) are now just trying to cover Kendall's posterior and trying to insinuate he made the correct overruling decision so as not to make a mockery of the standard and consistency of officiating these new ludicrous rules 🤔🤔 Also, what consideration is given to the impact of a red card during the game. i. e. Remember when the panel used to give a "sending of sufficient" verdict and the player received a slapped wrist and a fine but could play the following week. Finally, as I've said before, at this rate during the season with injuries and lengthy bans, we're gonna be watching two sets of reserves players battle it out. Not quite what I've payed my season ticket to watch, nor is it good for Sky tv coverage as we look to expand the game 🙄 Sorry rant over... 🤣🤣
Flash

Post by Flash »

How is Byrne's worse than this?

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... ed-for-foul-play
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Flash wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:16 pm How is Byrne's worse than this?

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... ed-for-foul-play
Neither of the tackles is worthy of a red card.
They are intent on ruining the game.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Flash wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:58 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:54 pm It's a higher grading than I thought for Byrne, but having watched it back I think it's fair. I initially thought Percvial dipped just before contact but he's actually dipped well before contact. All Byrne had to do was bend his back going into the tackle. There's plenty of time for him to anticipate where he's going to contact him. It's just lazy technique from someone who had no excuse for it. Had it been someone like Thompson or Ellis you might excuse it through fatigue but seriously, bend your back properly! Upright tackles will almost always lead to suspensions as Lees and Dupree have found out.
Obviously we're all entitled to our opinion but if being too upright is reason enough for a grade E then we should see several per game handed out. Look at the picture I've posted of Lees on Thompson. Byrne wraps his arms and doesn't lead with the shoulder. A ban is fine but that's not a grade E in the memory of man!
It's not just being upright, but also how forceful the contact was (it was a big impact), how much mitigation there is in terms of ball carrier adjusting before contact (not much as Percival doesn't dip before contact but maintains the same height), and whether the contact is directly to the head (it was).

I do think the Lees one is just as bad though. He doesn't make any attempt at all to go low into the tackle and we've been told numerous times about head on head contact being clamped down on. When Lees goes into the tackle he does absolutely nothing to limit his chances of making contact with the head. At least Byrne dipped slightly, albeit nowhere near enough. The target area for Lees to make legitimate contact was much greater than that for Byrne, which is why I'm puzzled by the new interpretations a little bit. Lees could avoid that contact much easier than Byrne could.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Bob the Builder wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:09 pm Yet the Video Referee advised Kendall it was a yellow card incident only on the day.
People are saying this, but all I heard on sky was the commentators say the the video ref was talking about mitigating factors. They could easily have been saying "no mitigating factors". Which I imagine they were because that's what the ref said to the player.

Have we heard the VR audio where they say there is mitigation and it should be a yellow? I don't think we have because I don't think that's what happened. It was more of a commentary error where they're talking and half listening at the same time. Obviously if someone can point me at the VR audio I'd change my opinion on that!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

What makes it worse is that Kendall didn’t stop the game, at the time. It’s only when Percival didn’t get up and the replay appeared in front of him on the screen did he decide to award the penalty.

I would hope Byrnes ban is similar to that of Lees, as the biggest difference for me is the size of the opposition.

Lees hit Thompson (similar size)
Byrne hit Percival who is considerably smaller.