Squad for Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Squad for Leigh

Post by Mike »

Great performance, but we've still got more in the tank. Lets save that for the last 10 matches though.

Does anyone think that Faz, great servant though he has been, is not anywhere near as effective this year? He's always lacked size, but he's made up for that by running excellent lines and making line breaks that way. Right now he's not finding those gaps (or he's not being put through them), and he's not an effective ball carrier against a set defence. Is it time to start transitioning and reducing his minutes? I dont think Peet would consider that, he's very, very conservative in his team selections and substitutions.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Mike wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:45 pm Great performance, but we've still got more in the tank. Lets save that for the last 10 matches though.

Does anyone think that Faz, great servant though he has been, is not anywhere near as effective this year? He's always lacked size, but he's made up for that by running excellent lines and making line breaks that way. Right now he's not finding those gaps (or he's not being put through them), and he's not an effective ball carrier against a set defence. Is it time to start transitioning and reducing his minutes? I dont think Peet would consider that, he's very, very conservative in his team selections and substitutions.
Farrell made more metres than any other Wigan forward, and was third for tackles made.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:25 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:45 pm Great performance, but we've still got more in the tank. Lets save that for the last 10 matches though.

Farrell made more metres than any other Wigan forward, and was third for tackles made.
He was involved in one break away, so i imagine that's where the metres come from in that game. How does he stack up in the season so far?

His tackles are no better or worse than the rest of the forward group, but i don't have any issue with that in particular. He tackles the players that run at him and does it well.

If noone else is seeing a drop-off from previous seasons then fair enough, its probably not there.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes. Very much so.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I just presumed Peet is using Farrel differently than Lam did, for the past couple of season Farrel has been used to straighten up the attack line with breaking the line being left to french/field.

While we could look at a more exciting player a solid 80 minute player that allows us to keep players like field and French is acceptable for me.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Graham1 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:48 am Looks like Keighran is the new whipping boy. The lads done nothing wrong so far. Ok he’s not setting the world on fire. But give the lad a chance. Not long ago everybody said the same about King, why did we sign him but turned out to be a good signing.

One thing for sure he is a more reliable goal kicker than Harry. And we would do well to take some pressure of him and let Keighran have a go. As we all know goal kicking can win tight matches and Harry at the moment is too hit and miss.
I don't think he's had that much criticism. He's got talent for sure and I think any player can take time to settle. He's been a predominantly left sided player most of his career and is now over on the right edge which can also be hard to adjust to.

But with the King comparison, he got a bit of criticism early on for his defence (I thought that was harsh to be fair) but the one thing he did always do was get involved. Maybe that's why I'm a bit disappointed in Keighran because he's replacing King who would make 15-20 carries every game and always be involved.

I checked the stats to make sure it wasn't a false perception and Keighran made 4 carries last night, one of which was the 10 metre run for his try which he pretty much has to make. So aside from that he made 3 carries. For me that's just a bit low considering Leigh were there for the taking and there's plenty of opportunities to get his hands on the ball.

Maybe it's harsh and he isn't expected to get himself involved as much as our other backs, but I tend to prefer players who always want to get their hands on the ball and get involved, even if they aren't the biggest or strongest.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:05 pm
Graham1 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:48 am Looks like Keighran is the new whipping boy. The lads done nothing wrong so far. Ok he’s not setting the world on fire. But give the lad a chance. Not long ago everybody said the same about King, why did we sign him but turned out to be a good signing.

One thing for sure he is a more reliable goal kicker than Harry. And we would do well to take some pressure of him and let Keighran have a go. As we all know goal kicking can win tight matches and Harry at the moment is too hit and miss.
I don't think he's had that much criticism. He's got talent for sure and I think any player can take time to settle. He's been a predominantly left sided player most of his career and is now over on the right edge which can also be hard to adjust to.

But with the King comparison, he got a bit of criticism early on for his defence (I thought that was harsh to be fair) but the one thing he did always do was get involved. Maybe that's why I'm a bit disappointed in Keighran because he's replacing King who would make 15-20 carries every game and always be involved.

I checked the stats to make sure it wasn't a false perception and Keighran made 4 carries last night, one of which was the 10 metre run for his try which he pretty much has to make. So aside from that he made 3 carries. For me that's just a bit low considering Leigh were there for the taking and there's plenty of opportunities to get his hands on the ball.

Maybe it's harsh and he isn't expected to get himself involved as much as our other backs, but I tend to prefer players who always want to get their hands on the ball and get involved, even if they aren't the biggest or strongest.
It’s just not good enough.

Same with Isa. Just doesn’t get through enough carries in attack.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:05 pm

Most of kings runs came on out sets where he took hitups. Keighran doesn't do many of those. However, I don't think you get away with that unless it's a coaching decision. For example Sam and jai didn't/don't take hit ups, although other fullbacks may do. The coaching team were/are happy with this because the player can impact the game more elsewhere. Is this what's going on with keighran, or is he shirking?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Signing him came as a big surprise to me. I never saw the attraction and still can't if I am honest.

However, in a salary capped sport, maybe his signing made sense and allowed the purchase of other players? I don't know.

He is "just about" ok at the moment. About the same as I expected.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

moto748 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:10 pm

Yes. Very much so.
I think this is the last season for Faz.