Squad for Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
culinator

Re: Squad for Leigh

Post by culinator »

I agree with the inconsistencies in reffing, its getting beyond a joke now and not just for our games but all games.
Also there was a penalty given against Leigh in the second half, i had absolutely no idea what it was for, totally baffled.
Its like sometimes they give penalties and sometimes they dont, cant play a professional comp like that.

Dont get me started on evening up the penalty count, that gets my goat
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

culinator wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:10 am I agree with the inconsistencies in reffing, its getting beyond a joke now and not just for our games but all games.
Also there was a penalty given against Leigh in the second half, i had absolutely no idea what it was for, totally baffled.
Its like sometimes they give penalties and sometimes they dont, cant play a professional comp like that.

watching on TV, the ref was explaining to the players what it was for. I cant recall specifically but he was clear in why he had awarded it. Same with when Farrell ran through as dummy runner and the Leigh player tackled him, i thought he'd got it wrong, but at least the ref was clear in his explanation to the players and you could hear it on tv,

i think late in 1st half he also got the Miski challenge spot on, you was committed / fractionally late and hit him front on, hence only a penalty. Now i do believe, he missed 2 similar in the 2nd half, 1 from Leigh and 1 from Wigan, which we may find a player each up before the committee
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

On the whole I thought Jack Smith got most things right he had a good game
Last edited by fozzie58 on Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I thought it was a decent performance, and really good for some of the fringe forwards to get a game and stake their claim. I think Sky's man of the match award went to Junior Nsemba but I think that was a bit generous. Smith and French dominated the game off the back of some good work from our middles. Probably to be expected from the likes of Ellis, Thompson and Mago but I thought Harvie Hill looked outstanding. Some really strong carries in there.

You could have forgiven Brad O'Neill for having a quieter game after his exertions against Saints but boy was he putting himself about against his hometown club. Also good to see Leeming have an impact as he gets more and more used to the way we play.

If I had to pick out a negative, did Adam Keighran play? At what point did he really get involved in that match? He can be a little shaky in defence and in a new team playing the opposite side to what he's used to I can accept that, but where's the hunger to get stuck in? Yes, he's a ball player and that's his strength but it's a derby, why not join in?
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Looks like Keighran is the new whipping boy. The lads done nothing wrong so far. Ok he’s not setting the world on fire. But give the lad a chance. Not long ago everybody said the same about King, why did we sign him but turned out to be a good signing.

One thing for sure he is a more reliable goal kicker than Harry. And we would do well to take some pressure of him and let Keighran have a go. As we all know goal kicking can win tight matches and Harry at the moment is too hit and miss.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Thought everyone played well. Only minor quibbles is that Leeming is excellent in attack - less so in defence. Keighran still leaps out of the line with mixed results and Chan, who I assume was keen to impress, needs to tighten up his discipline .
If it was a straight choice between Hill and Byrne, I'd plump for Hill. He seems to have much more 'go-forward' even if he was blowing a bit at the end.

That's a really good win in lousy conditions.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Graham1 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:48 am Looks like Keighran is the new whipping boy. The lads done nothing wrong so far. Ok he’s not setting the world on fire. But give the lad a chance. Not long ago everybody said the same about King, why did we sign him but turned out to be a good signing.

One thing for sure he is a more reliable goal kicker than Harry. And we would do well to take some pressure of him and let Keighran have a go. As we all know goal kicking can win tight matches and Harry at the moment is too hit and miss.
Not a whipping boy at all most have just pointed out he’s not settled yet and more to the point how good Toby King was by the end of last season,but he to of course took his time to settle and I’m sure the case will be the same with Keighron but to not point it out too is wrong in my opinion,so no not a whipping boy but the sooner he finds his groove the better for all of us both team and fans as he’s clearly a fine player.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Need to get kicking and discipline sorted before the business end of the season
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

the pieman wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:25 am
culinator wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:10 am I agree with the inconsistencies in reffing, its getting beyond a joke now and not just for our games but all games.

watching on TV, the ref was explaining to the players what it was for. I cant recall specifically but he was clear in why he had awarded it. Same with when Farrell ran through as dummy runner and the Leigh player tackled him, i thought he'd got it wrong, but at least the ref was clear in his explanation to the players and you could hear it on tv,

i think late in 1st half he also got the Miski challenge spot on, you was committed / fractionally late and hit him front on, hence only a penalty. Now i do believe, he missed 2 similar in the 2nd half, 1 from Leigh and 1 from Wigan, which we may find a player each up before the committee
I don’t mind referees making mistakes it’s the inconsistency that annoys me. Referees can’t seem to recognise a dominant tackle, they blow up for not being square at the ruck (fair play but that should only happen if the player is obstructing play or gets involved in a tackle) but warn other players that are offside at the play the ball. If we didn’t have set restarts everybody would be pulling their hair out as there would be no flow to the game. Our referees need to watch how their Australian counterparts referee, not perfect by any means but they add to the spectacle.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzie58 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:12 am On the whole I thought Jack Smith got most things right he had a good game
Charnleys try was forward and fazs obstruction wasnt .overall the best reffing all season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE