How can we improve for next year?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: How can we improve for next year?

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:10 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:25 pm
moto748 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:07 pm I said on RLFans that we could do with a Curtis Sironen-type player. I've long thought that, and still do.
Why? Walters and Nsembe have more to offer.
Not sure about that, but we need more than two, anyway.
Ok we shall have to disagree. Nsembe and Walters have far more attacking threat in my view.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'm sure we all hope that Nsemba and Walters are our long-term answers at backrow (assuming they can play on opposite sides?) but it's too early to make a decision yet. Clearly Matty Peet doesn't think that Jumior is ready yet so we have to see how much progress he makes this season. He's got great potential but is still very young to be playing this position week on week. I'd imagine the coaching staff would be in a position to make a final decision by the end of next season which would be soon enough. I was really looking forward to seeing Walters this season but his injury has really stalled his possible promotion to a starting position and we don't know yet if he'll get enough game time this season to prove his worth. If Isa leaves at the end of the season we will have to replace him with somebody who is good enough to start if necessary or our squad will be weaker. Willie has done a great job for us over a number of years but, at this stage of his career, he shouldn't be in our starting 13 if everybody is fit. Faz is still an all time great and well worth his place but I can't see him being a starter in two years time and we should be looking at easing his workload for next season.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I've often thought about the merits of playing 6 props in the forward pack.

Obviously some would have to do more minutes than others, but in principle I think it would give a significant advantage if implemented correctly.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Ill be interested to see how well Walters fits into Wigans style, he looked a handful the odd time I saw when at Leeds so I hope he can push on here now and become the shrewd signing we have high hopes for.
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

According to sky we can improve by giving away less penalties 46 so far this season only Hull above us
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:27 pm According to sky we can improve by giving away less penalties 46 so far this season only Hull above us
Well it would help wouldn't it?
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzie58 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:45 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:27 pm According to sky we can improve by giving away less penalties 46 so far this season only Hull above us
It would but it would also help if we had some consistency from the officials.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:53 pm
fozzie58 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:45 pm
It would but it would also help if we had some consistency from the officials.
Absolutely 100% on this, yes, sure, whenever we are penalised its hard to argue that an offence hasn't been committed but I see the same offences go unpunished by the opposition, why is this?

On the OG, just need to have more faith in our youth and play with a bit more freedom - I think this is more important than new signings.
moto748

Re: How can we improve for next year?and as for our

Post by moto748 »

We have every reason to be optimistic, and as for our youth, how good were Hill and Nsemba tonight?
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

You’d imagine Cooper and Isa will retire or at most do one more year but either way, it feels like Nsemba and Hill will just move in to their spots and then guys like Eseh Jnr, Chan, Makin etc move up a spot on the back of that. The improvement all feels like it’ll be natural because so many players have more to come yet. Lads like Havard, Byrne, Smith and O’Neill are fine players but they’ll all get better yet. The future looks extremely positive.