EXCLUSIVE: Leigh Leopards' Umyla Hanley on not seeing "eye to eye" with Wigan Warriors boss Matt Peet

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

EXCLUSIVE: Leigh Leopards' Umyla Hanley on not seeing "eye to eye" with Wigan Warriors boss Matt Peet

Post by josie andrews »

Prolific winger, 22, is in a purple patch ahead of facing his former club for the first time since leaving, revealing he has a point to prove to the head coach of the Super League and World Club champions

In-form Leigh winger Umyla Hanley has revealed he didn't see eye-to-eye with Wigan boss Matt Peet and now aims to prove him wrong for letting him go.

He faces his former club on Thursday for the first time since leaving 15 months ago. Hanley, son of rugby league legend Ellery, came through the ranks at hometown Warriors. He was given his debut by Adrian Lam - now his Leopards boss - in 2020 and scored a hat-trick against Leigh the following season in one of the Papuan’s final games in charge.

But Hanley barely got a look-in when assistant Peet was promoted to Wigan chief in 2022 playing just once before joining their local rivals. Hanley had to bide his time at Leigh, too, but has shone since ex-England star Tom Briscoe was injured last month. The lightning-quick 22 year-old has scored eight tries in just four games, including hat-tricks in each of his last two outings against Featherstone and Salford.

And now he gets the chance to show the reigning Super League and World Club champions - who have seen superstar Bevan French sign a new four-year deal - what they’re missing. Hanley said: “I was at Wigan since I was 15. I went from scholarship to first-team and played a few games. I got a few chances and I thought I played well in them.

But it just didn’t turn out how I wanted and I thought a move for me would be better. We [him and Peet] just didn’t see eye to eye. I hardly played again after that Leigh game. I didn’t see what I was doing wrong. But I’m not blaming anyone. It’s all turned out for the best. I’m much happier at Leigh.

“Matt’s a great coach. He knows what he’s doing. He’s clearly shown that with what they’ve won. He was good when I was there: he spoke to me but Matty just clicks with different people in different ways.”

Hanley finished with five tries in 11 games for Wigan but spent much of his last campaign there on loan at Newcastle. Also able to play full-back and centre, competition was strong wherever he looked. He recalled: “Wigan have a lot of great players, now and in the past.

“On the wing, you had [Liam] Marshall and in my first couple of years it was Joe Burgess but then Budgie [Burgess] moved on. Then [Abbas] Miski came in and a couple of other wingers. It just wasn’t the place for me. I’m much happier now where I am and with the lads that are around me.

I can’t think of anyone better than Leigh who could have come in for me, being local to home and just the people there. For example, Lammy had already coached me at Wigan and other players who I’d already played with. The move to Leigh was definitely a good thing for me.”

Wigan are smarting after Good Friday’s 12-4 defeat at St Helens, their first league loss since July. But Leigh are desperate to rally, too, having won just one of their five Super League games. Asked if he’s out to prove a point, Hanley replied: “Definitely. One hundred percent.

But everyone knows Wigan and Leigh is a massive game especially to Leythers. They class it like Wigan and St Helens - if not bigger. We know how big it is. If we play our game how we know we can, we can get the job done.”

A remarkable third hat-trick in a row would clearly be an ideal way to mark facing Wigan. But Hanley insisted his prolific streak is secondary to team goals. He said: “Personally, for me, it [run] has been great. But we haven’t been getting the results that we want and what we know we can get.

Once the results start coming then these tries, hat-tricks and things will feel a lot better. Both teams really need this win. Every two points counts.”

Hanley is one of four ex-Wigan players in Leigh’s ranks tomorrow night alongside Josh Charnley, Zak Hardaker and Jack Hughes. He has bulked up in 2024 and added more power to his obvious pace and athleticism. Hanley explained: “I sought a lot of help this pre-season trying to figure out what I could do differently to other ones. Lammy told me he wanted me to come back heavier and that’s what I did.

“I feel the work I did away from the team - and then with it when I came into pre-season - has shown well for myself. I wouldn’t say it was eat what you want! But in my case, not being a prop forward, I can eat a lot. I couldn’t go mad but I needed to put the weight on and I definitely feel better for it.”

But initially getting a spot in Lam’s star-studded side was another matter. Hanley added: “With two experienced wingers in Josh Charnley and Tom Briscoe, I knew that I wasn’t going to start the season. Lammy gave me a lot of confidence - and I gave him a lot - with the pre-season I had.

I put in a lot of hard work and I think it was just a matter of time: just waiting and taking my chance when it came to me. I think Brisc still has a few more weeks [recovery]. As bad as it’s been for Brisc, I’ve got to keep myself in there and think about myself. When he [Briscoe] is back, I need to give Lammy a hard decision to make. That’s what I’m aiming to do.”

Meanwhile, Hanley, of course, is a name synonymous with Wigan. But he has no relationship with his famous dad, one of the sport’s all-time greats who scored 189 tries in 204 Cherry and White appearances. He said: “I don’t see him. We don’t really get on.

"I’ve had my mum and that’s all I’ve needed: her and her side of the family have shown me all the support a dad could show. I really wouldn’t be fussed if we never do speak.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... y-32504762
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Fujiman

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Leigh Leopards' Umyla Hanley on not seeing "eye to eye" with Wigan Warriors boss Matt Peet

Post by Fujiman »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:05 pm Prolific winger, 22, is in a purple patch ahead of facing his former club for the first time since leaving, revealing he has a point to prove to the head coach of the Super League and World Club champions

In-form Leigh winger Umyla Hanley has revealed he didn't see eye-to-eye with Wigan boss Matt Peet and now aims to prove him wrong for letting him go.

He faces his former club on Thursday for the first time since leaving 15 months ago. Hanley, son of rugby league legend Ellery, came through the ranks at hometown Warriors. He was given his debut by Adrian Lam - now his Leopards boss - in 2020 and scored a hat-trick against Leigh the following season in one of the Papuan’s final games in charge.

But Hanley barely got a look-in when assistant Peet was promoted to Wigan chief in 2022 playing just once before joining their local rivals. Hanley had to bide his time at Leigh, too, but has shone since ex-England star Tom Briscoe was injured last month. The lightning-quick 22 year-old has scored eight tries in just four games, including hat-tricks in each of his last two outings against Featherstone and Salford.

And now he gets the chance to show the reigning Super League and World Club champions - who have seen superstar Bevan French sign a new four-year deal - what they’re missing. Hanley said: “I was at Wigan since I was 15. I went from scholarship to first-team and played a few games. I got a few chances and I thought I played well in them.

But it just didn’t turn out how I wanted and I thought a move for me would be better. We [him and Peet] just didn’t see eye to eye. I hardly played again after that Leigh game. I didn’t see what I was doing wrong. But I’m not blaming anyone. It’s all turned out for the best. I’m much happier at Leigh.

“Matt’s a great coach. He knows what he’s doing. He’s clearly shown that with what they’ve won. He was good when I was there: he spoke to me but Matty just clicks with different people in different ways.”

Hanley finished with five tries in 11 games for Wigan but spent much of his last campaign there on loan at Newcastle. Also able to play full-back and centre, competition was strong wherever he looked. He recalled: “Wigan have a lot of great players, now and in the past.

“On the wing, you had [Liam] Marshall and in my first couple of years it was Joe Burgess but then Budgie [Burgess] moved on. Then [Abbas] Miski came in and a couple of other wingers. It just wasn’t the place for me. I’m much happier now where I am and with the lads that are around me.

I can’t think of anyone better than Leigh who could have come in for me, being local to home and just the people there. For example, Lammy had already coached me at Wigan and other players who I’d already played with. The move to Leigh was definitely a good thing for me.”

Wigan are smarting after Good Friday’s 12-4 defeat at St Helens, their first league loss since July. But Leigh are desperate to rally, too, having won just one of their five Super League games. Asked if he’s out to prove a point, Hanley replied: “Definitely. One hundred percent.

But everyone knows Wigan and Leigh is a massive game especially to Leythers. They class it like Wigan and St Helens - if not bigger. We know how big it is. If we play our game how we know we can, we can get the job done.”

A remarkable third hat-trick in a row would clearly be an ideal way to mark facing Wigan. But Hanley insisted his prolific streak is secondary to team goals. He said: “Personally, for me, it [run] has been great. But we haven’t been getting the results that we want and what we know we can get.

Once the results start coming then these tries, hat-tricks and things will feel a lot better. Both teams really need this win. Every two points counts.”

Hanley is one of four ex-Wigan players in Leigh’s ranks tomorrow night alongside Josh Charnley, Zak Hardaker and Jack Hughes. He has bulked up in 2024 and added more power to his obvious pace and athleticism. Hanley explained: “I sought a lot of help this pre-season trying to figure out what I could do differently to other ones. Lammy told me he wanted me to come back heavier and that’s what I did.

“I feel the work I did away from the team - and then with it when I came into pre-season - has shown well for myself. I wouldn’t say it was eat what you want! But in my case, not being a prop forward, I can eat a lot. I couldn’t go mad but I needed to put the weight on and I definitely feel better for it.”

But initially getting a spot in Lam’s star-studded side was another matter. Hanley added: “With two experienced wingers in Josh Charnley and Tom Briscoe, I knew that I wasn’t going to start the season. Lammy gave me a lot of confidence - and I gave him a lot - with the pre-season I had.

I put in a lot of hard work and I think it was just a matter of time: just waiting and taking my chance when it came to me. I think Brisc still has a few more weeks [recovery]. As bad as it’s been for Brisc, I’ve got to keep myself in there and think about myself. When he [Briscoe] is back, I need to give Lammy a hard decision to make. That’s what I’m aiming to do.”

Meanwhile, Hanley, of course, is a name synonymous with Wigan. But he has no relationship with his famous dad, one of the sport’s all-time greats who scored 189 tries in 204 Cherry and White appearances. He said: “I don’t see him. We don’t really get on.

"I’ve had my mum and that’s all I’ve needed: her and her side of the family have shown me all the support a dad could show. I really wouldn’t be fussed if we never do speak.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... y-32504762
I don't know what's gone on between them, nor wish to know, but that's very sad.
ddtftf

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Leigh Leopards' Umyla Hanley on not seeing "eye to eye" with Wigan Warriors boss Matt Peet

Post by ddtftf »

Sour grapes we have 2 better wingers than him
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think hes going to be put under a lot of pressure tonight especially after his comments
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

It saddens me to say watching the game that Farrell & Willi Isa are getting close to allowing younger players to come into the team. :roll: :roll:
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I think you spelt Pathetic as prolific wrong , his dad a good judge of character :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: