European Wheelchair Rugby League Club Championship: Wigan bid for glory against Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

European Wheelchair Rugby League Club Championship: Wigan bid for glory against Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan wheelchair coach Chris Greenhalgh hopes his team can emulate Matty Peet's World Club Challenge winners to become rugby league global premiers.

The Warriors, who won last season's Wheelchair Super League title, face French champions Catalans Dragons in Saturday's European Wheelchair Rugby League Club Championship at Wigan's Robin Park (kick-off 18.00 BST).

In February, Peet's men beat Penrith Panthers to win the World Club Challenge; now it is the turn of Greenhalgh's group.

"As a team and for the club, this is massive," Greenhalgh told BBC Sport.
"We won our Super League title the day after the men won theirs, and after their World Club Challenge success it is a chance to match them again."

England and France have been the dominant nations in men's wheelchair rugby league for many years, making this weekend's match a world club championship in all but name.
"As players we are all Wigan fans so the opportunity to represent the club is huge and it feels like we are part of one club," Greenhalgh said.

"Matty Peet came to one of our training sessions ahead of our Grand Final and the first message I got after we won the final was from the chief executive Kris Radlinski.

"We have only been affiliated with Wigan for two years so we are probably a bit ahead of schedule and it is a huge challenge for us, but it is an amazing opportunity to play arguably the best club team in the world in Catalans."

In last year's inaugural game, Halifax Panthers travelled to France and drew 32-32 with the Dragons and this game is the opening match of the season for the Warriors who surprised the Leeds Rhinos 50-42 in October to claim their first Super League title.

Greenhalgh, a former wheelchair basketball player who took over as coach from Phil Roberts early last season, knows his side will go in as underdogs again against a Dragons outfit who are also the Challenge Cup holders.

Catalans feature a number of France internationals, including Golden Boot winner Jeremy Bourson, plus England World Cup winner Seb Bechara.

The Warriors will look to captain Declan Roberts and his fellow World Cup winner Adam Rigby, as well as Martin Lane and American international Matt Wooloff, but Greenhalgh has had to plan without England international Jack Heggie, who is unavailable for Saturday's game.

Roberts, who retired from international duty after England's World Cup victory in 2022 and was player of the match in the Grand Final win, will be a key figure for the Warriors.

Greenhalgh appreciates the 26-year-old's importance, saying: "For me, Dec is the most creative playmaker in the country in the wheelchair game and I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in that position.

"He is our captain and our leader and has an incredible rugby brain. He leads our offense and sees things that others don't and is reliable and has an incredible kicking percentage."

A new addition is Roberts' younger brother Nathan, who played for the reserves last year. With their father Phil also in the squad, there is a possibility of the trio all being on court together.

"There is no hiding how strong Catalans are and they play the game at an intensity above any other team in this country," Greenhalgh adds.

"They have had a good, consistent team for the last five or six years. They have strong players like Seb and Jeremy, who also play in the Super League with Halifax and who we know well and have plenty of experience too.

"Their speed is just phenomenal to watch and as players we need to be switched on to that. It gives us a different challenge and a different thing to think about but we are looking forward to it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/68698174
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: European Wheelchair Rugby League Club Championship: Wigan bid for glory against Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Wheelchair Match Preview: Catalans

HERE’S EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW AHEAD OF WIGAN WARRIORS’ WHEELCHAIR EUROPEAN CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP CLASH AGAINST CATALANS DRAGONS.

The Wheelchair Super League champions host the Coup de France winners at Robin Park (Leisure Centre) on Saturday evening in the European Club Championship.

Squad News

Wheelchair head coach Chris Greenhalgh has named his squad for the clash, with Declan Roberts to captain the side.

1 Chris Greenhalgh
3 Martin Lane
4 Nathan Roberts
7 Declan Roberts
8 Adam Rigby
9 Phil Roberts
10 Mark Williams
15 Matt Wooloff

Coaches Quotes

Speaking ahead of the fixture, head coach Chris Greenhalgh said: “Whether you’re a player or a coach you want to play against the very best and in my opinion Catalans have been one the best teams in Europe for many years.”

Greenhalgh added: “This will be a hard-hitting, fast-paced game which will showcase some of the best players in the world. I’m looking forward to a fixture which will be a massive occasion for the Club.”

Watch the full interview with Chris Greenhalgh on Wigan TV HERE.

All-Stars Exhibition

Ahead of the Warriors clash against the Dragons, an exhibition of former rugby league players will turn their hand to the Wheelchair game at 4:40pm.

The RL All-Stars will be supported on and off the court by England Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup winners in a game that will no doubt highlight the level of skill and ability required to play the Wheelchair game.

Ticket Info

Seated and accessible tickets for the highly anticipated clash are available to purchase up until kick-off online HERE from just £5!

Kit Check

The Warriors will wear their traditional Cherry & White home kit on Saturday evening. Not got yours yet? Shop 2024 Kappa Kit HERE.

Watch Live

If you cannot attend the clash at Robin Park, the showpiece fixture will be streamed live on The Sportsman’s YouTube channel with coverage starting from 5:45pm.

Social Media

Wigan fans can follow every piece of the action via our social media channels and website.

X (Formerly Twitter) (@WiganWarriorsRL) – half time and full time updates.
Instagram (@wiganwarriorsrl) – half time and full time updates.
Facebook (Wigan Warriors) – half time and full time updates.
Website (www.wiganwarriors.com) – post-match reaction including a match report.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/04/ ... -catalans/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Re: European Wheelchair Rugby League Club Championship: Wigan bid for glory against Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Can’t wait for these games tomorrow.

Another busy week for me watching Wigan Warriors RL Teams.

Thursday First team v Leigh Leopards at LSV

Saturday Reserve team v Leigh Leopards at Leigh Miners Rangers

Saturday Wigan Warriors Wheelchair v Catalan Dragons at Robin Park Leisure Centre

Sunday Wigan Warriors Women v Cardiff Demons Women at Robin Park Arena

🏉🍒⚪️❤️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Daughters will be ball girls for the ladies game on Sunday! Whether or not in their Leigh Miners gear I’m unsure (unbeaten this year so far btw)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:58 pm Daughters will be ball girls for the ladies game on Sunday! Whether or not in their Leigh Miners gear I’m unsure (unbeaten this year so far btw)
Brilliant 😊
SteVader

Post by SteVader »

My wife bought tickets for this online yesterday. Looking forward to it, but not really sure what we need to do about collecting them. Tried to call the ticket office, but they’re closed. Is it worth calling Robin Park, or just turn up with purchase confirmation email?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

SteVader wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:01 am My wife bought tickets for this online yesterday. Looking forward to it, but not really sure what we need to do about collecting them. Tried to call the ticket office, but they’re closed. Is it worth calling Robin Park, or just turn up with purchase confirmation email?
Print the tickets off, I did when I got mine online.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Don’t forget everyone that Latics are at home today, so parking may be a bit hard for many
SteVader

Post by SteVader »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:28 am Print the tickets off, I did when I got mine online.
Did you receive them by email? She hasn't received anything other than the booking confirmation email and there's nothing showing in her eticketing account.
SteVader

Post by SteVader »

...that said, I've just had a look at the booking confirmation email and whilst there's no PDF tickets attached, the seat numbers for each of the three tickets are detailed in the body of the message.